+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any DJ's here amongst us ? in General; Originally Posted by cpjitservices The Sounds was dreadful compared to CD & Vinyl anyway. Gotta get 320kbps MP3s or FLACs ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    The Sounds was dreadful compared to CD & Vinyl anyway.
    Gotta get 320kbps MP3s or FLACs or it's gonna sound like crap every time, unfortunately. I think even a badly scratched vinyl sounds better than a low quality MP3 when you play it out over a proper rig.

Edit:

I do play a local club in town for a certain genre of music of which there is also a fanclub for.
    What genre? Do you mean like an official fanclub, or that it's just popular where you live?
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 4th July 2014 at 03:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Ive never liked the sound even with FLAC.... and high quality MP3... I dunno it just has a sound that when I hear I Know its from Laptop.... Unless you spend money and I mean thousands on really really really good quality kit, and get filtered earthed cables and stuff.... you get no were near the sound... in my opinion anyway.

I havent spent that much not this time, Inherited some good kit though... Mixer is a good one.

Any DJ's here amongst us ?-mixer.jpg
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 4th July 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Gotta get 320kbps MP3s or FLACs or it's gonna sound like crap every time, unfortunately. I think even a badly scratched vinyl sounds better than a low quality MP3 when you play it out over a proper rig.

Edit:

What genre? Do you mean like an official fanclub, or that it's just popular where you live?
    In certain parts there are official fan clubs, and yes its popular where I live but also all over the UK. I play mainly Proper Rock N Roll and Rockabilly... right from the 50's era... To the modern day Rockabilly stuff. I have quite a collection. Have played some pretty good gigs too.

Thank Post
    Ive never liked the sound even with FLAC.... and high quality MP3... I dunno it just has a sound that when I hear I Know its from Laptop.... Unless you spend money and I mean thousands on really really really good quality kit, and get filtered earthed cables and stuff.... you get no were near the sound... in my opinion anyway.
    Not having a go at you, because this is an opinion I've heard from a lot of people and I genuinely think a lot of it is the placebo effect (or reverse placebo effect). You see the guy up there in the booth with a laptop and a midi controller and instantly the music sounds worse. My friend is a lot like this, but if he doesn't realise the guy is DJing using a laptop he goes on about how good it sounds. As soon as he see's the laptop it's instantly the worst set ever.

If we're showing off our new kit, here's mine!

http://i.imgur.com/3oSQqEz.jpg (edited out the img tags because of giant photo)

It's in a bit of a bad shape because it's been sat in a student living room for a few months, but it'll do. I also inherited a load of old jungle vinyls but I only have one deck at the moment so I won't be using them anytime soon.
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 4th July 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    I haven't got any other pics of mine, I Know what you mean you do automatically think the worse with Laptop DJ's they aren't all bad, I had to use mine the other night to play a few tracks I dont have yet on Vinyl - But I do just prefer CD... also Laptops have a tendency to crash too... have been to a few gigs where its been silent for a moment or 2 and the DJ says whoops sorry folks laptops crashed! - Bang a CD in. This scared me a bit on my last gig, my laptop really isnt great but it played what I asked it too luckily!

I'll get some more pics of my kit tonight.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 4th July 2014 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Crappy laptop dj here.....

lol, I have on long term loan from a friend an amp and speakers, I plug my laptop in and mix the music there, not once has the laptop failed.

I only do friends parties and a few select parties for others.

but as I dont get paid they cant complain! lol

7. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

cpjitservices (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I was a DJ on British Forces Broadcasting Service in the late 60s whilst working in Malta. Gave me a few perks - nudge, nudge, wink, wink Luckily, I have always been a perfect gentleman.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 4th July 2014 at 04:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Ex-DJ , used to play house / piano's / etc for about 8 years.

I came out of retirement recently for a one off gig for a charity.

Uploaded the two mixes from the event here

http://m.mixcloud.com/johnszkudlapski3/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jszkudlapski View Post
    Ex-DJ , used to play house / piano's / etc for about 8 years.

I came out of retirement recently for a one off gig for a charity.

Uploaded the two mixes from the event here

John Paul Szkudlapski | Mixcloud
    I've just realised where I've seen your name. It's on the bottom line of my opticians eyechart

11. 2 Thanks to laserblazer:

hardtailstar (7th July 2014), jszkudlapski (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Started DJing at the tender age of 14 - I used to go out with a couple of old hats who showed me the ropes, used to go out with CDs and a very expensive rig and do the good old 18 & 21 parties and the odd wedding and older parties too. Did that for 4 years and moved in to sound engineering - did that for best of 10 years now just getting back into my djing again, this time though actually going in to the clubs and playing the stuff the youth of today are in to lol

I also present a weekly show on hospital Radio - thats fun and is in no way related to what I play in the clubs!!

Yes I play off a laptop now and unless I'm using CDJs in the clubs I have a controller to run the software but I enjoy it so couldn't really care what people think about my setup at the end of the day if the punters are still there at the end of the night then I've done my job (or the booze was on offer )

One thing I have to chip in with though is the comment earlier on in the thread about laptop DJs just pressing play and letting it go... yes granted this does happen (Don't all Djs have to press play on something??) but there is still an art to song selection, knowing which songs gel and which don't and not everyone can do that. It's a problem with a lot of the young club DJs that are coming through now, they have no idea of song selection and it does take the biscuit sometimes.

Anyway that's my 2p worth

Thank Post
    Agreed

Most people don't go into a bar/club and walk out because the DJ is on a laptop..,

Song selection is the key.

Thank Post
    The Sounds was dreadful compared to CD & Vinyl anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    the MP3s I was playing
    Ive never liked the sound even with FLAC.... and high quality MP3... I dunno it just has a sound that when I hear I Know its from Laptop.... Unless you spend money and I mean thousands on really really really good quality kit, and get filtered earthed cables and stuff....
    1st bit of advice - NEVER use MP3s. Use .wav or other uncompressed source. Not for anything that is going to be played over a decent (or even 1/2 decent) sound system.

2nd - You don't need to spend thousands, but splash a couple hundred on a reasonable output device. Don't just use the headphone out on the laptop. They cause all sorts of grief (especially running on SOME PSUs, and have about the worlds worst DA converters.

3rd - What is a "filtered earth cable"? I've done quite a bit of sound, live and installation, and it is new to me!

Thank Post

Any DJ's here amongst us ?

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I've just realised where I've seen your name. It's on the bottom line of my opticians eyechart
    Never heard that one .... *facepalm*

Lol ;-)
    Last edited by jszkudlapski; 4th July 2014 at 07:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jszkudlapski View Post
    Never heard that one .... *facepalm*

Lol ;-)
    The old ones are the best - I'll get my coat

17. Thanks to laserblazer from:

jszkudlapski (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    You sir are correct

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast