+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Eager Beaver in General; Hello people, just joined on here and just started a new career as an ICT Technician in a School. I ...

Thank Post

Eager Beaver

Hello people, just joined on here and just started a new career as an ICT Technician in a School. I was told to join this website as it was a good place for information but I wondered if anyone could direct me to any other websites that offer any training or info on any of the things I may be covering. I'm totally new to IT so any acronyms may confuse me. I would like to learn more about the network side of things like windows server, and I would like to know more about switches and cabling or anything you may recommend. Also one of the things that bug me a little is when teachers come to me with an issue about not being able to play a video, a file corrupting or just something everyday that end users seem to have trouble with.

Just so you know I am going to be enrolled on a course in september but it would still be valuable to have some good websites to help someone who its just starting out.

Regards
    Aaron

Thank Post
    Welcome to Edugeek!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft Virtual Academy

That's a very good place to start for Microsoft stuff. Welcome, have fun in your new job.

Thank Post
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Welcome to Edugeek!

Quote Originally Posted by useraaron321 View Post
    Also one of the things that bug me a little is when teachers come to me with an issue about not being able to play a video, a file corrupting or just something everyday that end users seem to have trouble with.
    You will be getting a lot of that in schools and as the technician they will come to you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Hello and welcome If you can't find the answers you need on here, I would be very surprised! As for training, it would be worth trying to get yourself on a course of some sort to cover the basics of server management.

Also one of the things that bug me a little is when teachers come to me with an issue about not being able to play a video, a file corrupting or just something everyday that end users seem to have trouble with.
    Learn to smile and get on with it. If you are going to have a career in school network management you will find that the following tasks feature far too regularly:
    The mains electricity isn't switched on, I've forgotten my password, There's no paper in the printer, The cable isn't plugged into $device, I didn't listen to you the last $number times you told me how to do this.

Honestly though, as much as it annoys you, the reason for being there is Teaching and Learning and, while we mutter and moan, if the children can't learn then that is the most important thing for you to deal with.

You are also now responsible for everything else in the school that has a plug attached to it, except the sinks (except the plugs were probably lost long ago for those)... and even then don't be surprised if you end up dealing with a blocked sink.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 4th July 2014 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    We all like an eager beaver, it's a raging growler you should worry about.

Thank Post
    Welcome! I was in your position nearly two years ago. I haven't had any official training but have been very lucky that my boss and other tech are both very clever at their jobs and always have time to show me how to do things and explain stuff.
    I actually like the 'little' jobs sometimes, the teachers really appreciate it and puts you in their good books!

Thank Post
    That's good to know. I'm lucky to be in the same position as you and I have cleaver manager who finds time although he didn't notice that I swapped his big comfortable leather chair with mine ;p.

Id like to do some training on some courses I think just to speed up my progress really. I guess you're right though I'm going to be learning 80% or my knowledge right here in the School.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by useraaron321 View Post
    That's good to know. I'm lucky to be in the same position as you and I have cleaver manager who finds time although he didn't notice that I swapped his big comfortable leather chair with mine ;p.
    Ha! Well done! I've been after my boss' fancy chair for a while... how did you manage it? :-p

Thank Post
    Big cardboard box at the side so he didn't notice the shiny chrome on his chair as he walked in and swapped our jackets over. He was wiping the crumbs and dust of my my one wondering why his had got so dirty. I had to leave the room!! ;p

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Knowledge comes with experience and experience comes with time. Don't rush things, you'll be fine.

That said, take up every opportunity for learning, look at the MVA courses that I linked earlier. Ask for training, the worst thing that they can say is "no" but they might say yes. Play with things, ask questions, find out how things and done and why they're done like that.

Also, when it comes to training don't focus exclusively on the technical side of things. See if you can get some project management, management or ITIL training.

Thank Post
    Learn the acronym PEBKAC and you should be fine!

Thank Post
    Im actually on the MVA website now so thanks for that. I'm being really inquisitive and learning things all the time. If I don't understand it I'll ask and if I do understand it i'll ask about the next thing I don't understand that's related to that. I cant help wanting to know more I think I really am turning into a geek. Haha. But I do understand that I have only just scratched the surface of what there is to learn and I think its important to keep listening and instead of trying to sound like I know it just keep asking questions. I think I'm almost exhausting my colleges to be honest but I'm sure it will work in all our favors in the end.

Thank Post
    Love it. Haha. It's so true as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast