+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, The Honours System (how it should have been done) in General; Well .. it is that time of year again and we sit back and wonder about what the point is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Honours System (how it should have been done)

Well .. it is that time of year again and we sit back and wonder about what the point is of doing your job.

If you are rich and famous, have political presence or know someon who knows someone you stand a damn good chance of picking up a bit of gaudily painted metal on tatty bit of ribbon ... why? Because you have done what you are being paid an astronomical amount to normally do.

Footballers, singers ... heck, even a chat show host who just sits in a comfy chair and gets old cronies to fondle his knee get something for nothing!

And do any real people get anything? A tiny, tiny proportion will get some recognition ... and they have to had been sponsored by a group of people ... jump through hoops and red tape ... be double and triple checked to see if they have anything embarrasing in their background ('Oh dear, they once got a caution for demonstrating against the Govt! We can't have rebels like that getting gongs!')

Come on Gordie ... pull your finger out and give some rewards to *real* people ... not those who loll about all day and give backhanders (allegedly!)

(Please note that this is not actually my point of view and I am in favour of the honours system, having had people I know, have worked with and family recognised in this manner ... it was merely a post to show that you can get your point over ... and for some a very valid point ... without getting nasty)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: The Honours System (how it should have been done)

A lollipop lady in our town got a CBE a few years back. She'd been doing the same zebra crossing for about a million years. Answers on a postcard please as to what the letters CBE could stand for in this case........

Thank Post

Overall I agree with the honours system, however there is room for improvement:

Honours should be given to people at the end of their careers. It should be a judgement of their lifetimes contribution to society. Far fewer nominations should come from the civil services.

Another problem is that the media is obsessed with celebrity and scandal, so they only report the sports / singers / actors / politicians getting awards.

I suppose its down to us - anyone can make a nomination, so if you know someone worthy, get those applications in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I suggest we nominate Bill Gates because without him and Microsoft we'd be out of a job....

;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    A lollipop lady in our town got a CBE a few years back. She'd been doing the same zebra crossing for about a million years. Answers on a postcard please as to what the letters CBE could stand for in this case........
    It's funny 'cos when The 'Dook mentioned gongs for real working people, the first thing that came to mind was lollipop ladies....

Not becuase i think they're particularly deserving but they're the ones you only seem to hear about every year when it comes to the new years honours for the ordinary folk..........

If he hasn't already that old-timer buster (oldest worker in Britain - works for pimlico plumbers i think) definitely deserves a knighthood...He's like 98 years old, still working, still in good health and has been working since he was 8. Now THAT's dedicaton.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Interesting how my original posting about New Years Honours was deleted but this one is allowed to stay.....
    Is there one rule for us and one rule for the admins then ?

As for my views on this - why the hell has Minogue got one ? All she does is Sing and try and act badly.
    Why has Mckellen got one ? Whats he actually done apart from his job...

The whole system just stinks of brown nosing & money laundering. And all these over paid morons who get them just lower the status of the actual hard work that REAL people do.

And whilst they dump this stupid system, dump the Royal family too - the most dysfunctional family ever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Mattx

Your post was removed due to abusive language ... this post was designed to show people how you *can* still make an attack at something without being offensive or abusive.

And if you are not happy about the admins then speak to the man.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Interesting how my original posting about New Years Honours was deleted but this one is allowed to stay.....
    Is there one rule for us and one rule for the admins then ?

All she does is Sing and try and act badly.
    Why has Mckellen got one ? Whats he actually done apart from his job...

And whilst they dump this stupid system, dump the Royal family too - the most dysfunctional family ever.
    I agree with you about the honours system and the royal family....

And for some reason I've never liked Ian McKellan. And I occasionally confuse him for Peter O'Toole when he's on screen, stupid of me really as they don't actually look much alike and O'Toole is the far superior Actor.

As for my views on this - why the hell has Minogue got one ?
    I was expecting you to follow that with..."Oi, Minogue NAAAAOOOOOOO!!!!
    ......'Cos you were doing a very good empression of Harry Enfields Self-Rgihteous brothers character

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can I add my tuppence worth? I think the Gordy Govt, the Civil Tea Service, the House of Lards and the Royal Flannel should all be put on a very big magic schoolbus and driven over the cliffs at Beachy Head by Jeremy Clarkshoes and the other Top Gear puppets.....after they've all been given Oboes, CBeebies and Knighthoodies...

Thank Post

Whenever I go to our High School I think I must have been knighted 'cos the kids all call me sir! At our school I'm "Oi you! The printers not working."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

@Mattx
    Your post was removed due to abusive language ... this post was designed to show people how you *can* still make an attack at something without being offensive or abusive.
    I don't think it was, I think it was removed because someone else wanted to start the thread instead of me. That's ok though, it's always the failed people of society who have to steal other people's ideas and make them their own....... :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    I suggest we nominate Bill Gates because without him and Microsoft we'd be out of a job....

;-)
    He's already got one! (or perhaps i missed the joke) - technically he's not a 'Sir' as hes not a British Citizen..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, mattx

Thank Post

Is it a bit like Lord Ocean Finance? (3:31)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread