+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Goodbye FaceBook - Thanks for nothing! in General; I can't get on with Twitter at all. I'm on it, and I follow some tech stuff (eg NASA) and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I can't get on with Twitter at all. I'm on it, and I follow some tech stuff (eg NASA) and people (Robert Llewellyn and Simon Pegg too, as it happens) but it doesn't really interest me.
    There is rarely any conflict on Facebook - as I said before, it is to keep up with family and friends
    I'm on LinkedIn but again - not really getting much out of it

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    @DaveP if you want to post that in the eSafety forum, I will sticky it.
    I have posted the items there now. The thread is here:

Link: Deleting Unwanted Or Unused Online Accounts

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I have posted the items there now. The thread is here:

Link: Deleting Unwanted Or Unused Online Accounts

Thanks.
    Spotted, stickied and repped. Thank you

Thank Post
    Edugeek does have to count as social networking... you are in denial like the rest of us

My kids on the subject of edugeek a few years back:
    "So you're going to meet a bunch of blokes in a bar in Reading that you've met on the internet and you don't even know some of their real names.... and you're a CEOP Ambassador"

Ummm... yep... Do as I say not as I do! I had met some of them at BETT before
    Haha sounds correct though at least the little tykes understand what should and should not be done! It's not a social networking site SHHHHH don't tell anyone from Smoothwall that!

Thank Post
    Facebook can either be brilliant or rubbish depends on your "friends" ultimately.

TBH i've had no trouble caused by FB but i've seen things blow up on there and it aint pretty.

A few weeks ago we found a local dog rescue centre on Facebook that i'd never heard of and it's only a few miles away. It's run by one woman and some volunteers that help out. No website it's all done through word of mouth and their FB page. Anyway to cut a long story short she phoned us last night as one of her foster carers had just dumped one of their dogs on her doorstep. Anyway we agreed to foster him for awhile. He's a gorgeous long haired German Shepherd, we already have a short haired GSD so as long as they get on ok then we'll foster him till he finds a new home.

Poor thing when he was taken in he was under his target weight by 40% had severe muscle wastage and most of the fur on his tale was gone. Happy to say after recent weeks he's looking much more healthy.

Quite looking forward to Saturday now
    Last edited by Bananas; 3rd July 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Haha sounds correct though at least the little tykes understand what should and should not be done! It's not a social networking site SHHHHH don't tell anyone from Smoothwall that!
    My youngest tyke is 6'5" and 18 years old. I can't define them as little any more

Thank Post
    I generally just unfollow or unfriend people that start conflicts or frequently post things that I strongly disagree with. Can't deal with constant negativity so I just remove it from my feed!

Thank Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying FaceBook is all bad all of the time, just majority of the time. You can quite easily misinterpret posts or pictures on there. I get sick of all these pictures everywhere of dying children saying 1like = 1 prayer, I know it's horrible that child is in that situation but the poster has only posted that to get likes and think they're somewhat cool. I don't want to see that kind of stuff.
    I don't want to see videos of people being beheaded or a donkey with 1 leg struggling in the desert. I don't want to see the latest night out my girlfriend has been out on it's her choice, yes so there's boys in a picture with her it doesn't mean I should assume the worst but you do because there's a picture directly in front of you. I don't want people that I don't like quite frankly being able to communicate with me, for example even if you unfreind someone but then that someone posts a picture or status to another friends wall you can see it. It's all just a bit much and with FaceBook being such a big part of people's lives today it's hard not to see things on there you don't like unless you completely leave it.

I spent all weekend deleting friends I no longer talk to etc... but I was still seeing stupid posts by others left on their walls blah blah... It all gets a bit too much and over bearing, it consistently effects relationships there has been studies and it shows your less likely to stay in a relationship with someone if you both have FaceBook. I couldn't find the statistic but heres some info The Ways Facebook Ruins Your Relationship .

It all comes down to one thing is there a point is there a point in risking relationships you have with other people around you just because you want to check a new status update I think not and quite frankly Mr Zuckerberg in the long run you haven't bought people closer together in a lot of cases but forced people away from each other, what happened to just going to meet up with your friends for a chat rather than IM on FaceBook Messenger...?

Thank Post
    My youngest tyke is 6'5" and 18 years old. I can't define them as little any more
    Haha my bad.

Thank Post
    Edugeek does have to count as social networking... you are in denial like the rest of us

My kids on the subject of edugeek a few years back:
    "So you're going to meet a bunch of blokes in a bar in Reading that you've met on the internet and you don't even know some of their real names.... and you're a CEOP Ambassador"

Ummm... yep... Do as I say not as I do! I had met some of them at BETT before
    I met a guy for Coffee at a local shopping centre after meeting him on the internet (in WoW actually). We've been together for 6 years, have 1 cat and 4 rabbits and are trying for a baby. So meeting up with people 'from the internet' isn't a bad thing if you go about it safely - public place, people knowing where you are and when you'll be back, own or public transport. It has to be said I'm not 100% clear on the 'real names' of some of the people I work with - most of us have nicknames/handles at the office and refer to each other that way.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 3rd July 2014 at 12:51 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm edging closer to doing the same myself. I hardly use it really now - prefer Twitter as its more of a source of news and less of a "passive aggressive" argument centre.
    Twitter is the very definition of passive aggressive!

Thank Post
    Although I have facebook, I don't actively use it. I can't even remember the last time I posted anything to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I met a guy for Coffee at a local shopping centre after meeting him on the internet (in WoW actually). We've been together for 6 years, have 1 cat and 4 rabbits and are trying for a baby. So meeting up with people 'from the internet' isn't a bad thing if you go about it safely - public place, people knowing where you are and when you'll be back, own or public transport. It has to be said I'm not 100% clear on the 'real names' of some of the people I work with - most of us have nicknames/handles at the office and refer to each other that way.
    Exactly.

I met someone for dinner in a pub who I had only ever communicated with online. We've now been married 4 years and have two kids. Internet doesn't always mean bad, although obviously you have to be careful.

As for Facebook, it has it annoyances, but I'm too nosey to give it up! I just very seldom post anything personally, and I don't see how it can damage relationships - unless you have secrets, and why would one party post something that they didn't want the other to know about anyway?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    why would one party post something that they didn't want the other to know about anyway?
    It's not the fact she didn't want me to know about it and it's not the fact that I think she's going off with some other bloke, it's the whole kind of situation. As I say it's a long story and I wouldn't want to bore anyone but at the end of the day it can all be avoided if her friend never shoved it all over FaceBook, this is my point in this day of age there is nothing that is kept private it's all out in the open for everyone to see and quite frankly I prefer my privacy and I'd rather not be worrying about her all the time.

15. Thanks to abillybob from:

psbresner (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    As one of the comedians once said of Facebook posts "peoples brains are leaking"

I've never had an account. I thought about joining the other week, and now no, not a chance. I'm sticking to my initial instincts, it is trouble.

17. Thanks to Zourous from:

abillybob (3rd July 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast