+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, YNAB (You Need a Budget) in General; Hnnng, is anyone else use/is completely in love with this software? Aside from the fact that it keeps reminding me ...

Thank Post

YNAB (You Need a Budget)

Hnnng, is anyone else use/is completely in love with this software? Aside from the fact that it keeps reminding me how skint I really am despite what's in my account...

(Apologies if this isn't the best forum for it, but it's personal not educational or enterprise software so I dunno...)
    https://www.youneedabudget.com/

It's a bit pricey on its own without a sale, though. I picked it up during the Steam sales and I'm trying my best to stick to it and my limits after no other budgeting software or app has been "personal" enough for me. Thought it might be handy for some people here so I'd give it a mention. Does anyone have any experience with their courses? I thought about maybe hopping on one about saving.

2. Thanks to Bompalompalomp from:

AMLightfoot (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    Hnnng, is anyone else use/is completely in love with this software? Aside from the fact that it keeps reminding me how skint I really am despite what's in my account...

(Apologies if this isn't the best forum for it, but it's personal not educational or enterprise software so I dunno...)
    https://www.youneedabudget.com/

It's a bit pricey on its own without a sale, though. I picked it up during the Steam sales and I'm trying my best to stick to it and my limits after no other budgeting software or app has been "personal" enough for me. Thought it might be handy for some people here so I'd give it a mention. Does anyone have any experience with their courses? I thought about maybe hopping on one about saving.
    Never used it but I DO have my own budget spreadsheet I use. I did try to use budget software once but it was pre-smartphone and was a pain to administrate.

I really want to install the demo now!!!
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 2nd July 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    I've been looking for a good personal budgeting tool, somewhat ironically however $60 is a bit out of my budget!

Also don't like that you're only covered for updates on current major version. It's good that they're up front about it, but is there any guarantee that if/when v5 comes out, you'll still be able to use cloud services to sync v4 with your mobile?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I've been looking for a good personal budgeting tool, somewhat ironically however $60 is a bit out of my budget!

Also don't like that you're only covered for updates on current major version. It's good that they're up front about it, but is there any guarantee that if/when v5 comes out, you'll still be able to use cloud services to sync v4 with your mobile?
    I'm not entirely sure but since I got it on sale I'm fine with transferring what I have to a backup and possibly grabbing it gain when at reduced. I might hazard a guess to say since it is on Steam it'd be updated through the same ID.

Thank Post
    bit pricey, I do have my own way of budgeting but I want a program that I can log into on computer and my phone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    bit pricey, I do have my own way of budgeting but I want a program that I can log into on computer and my phone.
    This. I'm the same. I have a spreadsheet for our Joint account for the household bills but my own personal account could use better management. I'd love to use this software but I installed the demo and found that to use the cloud application you have to have DropBox. Really. I loathe when applications demand other application dependencies to work. I've uninstalled for now but it's so enticing!

Thank Post
    Isnt it one of lifes many skills that your learn to deal with? Is there an app for breathing or eating?

9. Thanks to Galway from:

buzzard (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    A google docs spreadsheet (a little bit awkward on a phone but do-able)?

I've always just used a spreadsheet at times when I need to get a bit more in touch with my poverty. I've never found anything quite as flexible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Isnt it one of lifes many skills that your learn to deal with? Is there an app for breathing or eating?
    If you have the ability to remember exactly where your account stands at any given time, good for you. The rest of us mere mortals use some form of tracking, as that's how we learnt to deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post

I've always just used a spreadsheet at times when I need to get a bit more in touch with my poverty. I've never found anything quite as flexible.
    I started with a Google Docs sheet but my $deity was it a PITA to maintain on my phone!

Started using this and it seems pretty good so far (and it's free!): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...emanager&hl=en

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Bompalompalomp (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post

I use that too and have issues using it on my phone too

Thank Post
    It's more about convenience and multiple platforms and not just being incompetent with money. I've used a google spreadsheet in the past to update on my phone but sometimes you just want something you can enter quickly and not have to faff around with.
    The thing I use the most on it is scheduled transfers and payments. All automatic and calculated on an interval and don't need re-entering every month.

Thank Post
    Im thinking when you would use it. Would you use it to justify lunch at KFC or is this to nail down all your major ingoing / outgoings?
    What if you needed a new pair of shoes, do you have to consult your app to see what you need to do without?

Really struggling to understand how this would help you but can think of many in how this is hindering you.
    If you cant swim do you install an app to stop you from going near deep water or do you learn how to swim?

If I had a problem with money (which I dont), where is the logic of buying an expensive app?

"I've used a google spreadsheet in the past to update on my phone but sometimes you just want something you can enter quickly and not have to faff around with."

Thank Post
    I've used it for over a year, also picked it up cheap on steam. A spreadsheet was mentioned to me, but convenience weighed in by the time I had my current account, savings, credit card and PayPal account configured. One sticking point for me was the lack of a WP8 app, so can't check on my phone, but the cloud sync works well enough to keep my desktop and windows tablet up to date with each other.

For those not bothered about mobile sync but still want cloud sync, it does work by making it a local budget, then sharing the folder the budget files are stored in. The way YNAB 4 saves the budgets should stop conflicts from overwriting. Share your budget without using Dropbox | YNAB

EDIT: In terms of how I use it, it's there to give me a general idea of how things are going. Set budget amounts at the beginning of the month, and every week or so, add in purchases and see if I'm on track or if I need to move some money around. While I log everything, I don't really check the budget for individual small purchases. With the KFC example for me, it would usually be me checking the budget and thinking "Oh, I've spent a bit much on KFC, time to cut back".
    Every so often, the reporting features comes in handy to provide a rundown of what I've spent either by Payee or Category. As @Bompalompalomp mentions, the scheduled payments is really handy.

In brief though, YNAB vs Spreadsheet: I got YNAB cheap and putting together a spreadsheet with comparable features would have taken me more time than I wished to spend on it.
    Last edited by Mayki5; 2nd July 2014 at 03:02 PM.

17. 3 Thanks to Mayki5:

AMLightfoot (2nd July 2014), Bompalompalomp (2nd July 2014), LosOjos (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Im thinking when you would use it. Would you use it to justify lunch at KFC or is this to nail down all your major ingoing / outgoings?
    What if you needed a new pair of shoes, do you have to consult your app to see what you need to do without?

Really struggling to understand how this would help you but can think of many in how this is hindering you.
    If you cant swim do you install an app to stop you from going near deep water or do you learn how to swim?

If I had a problem with money (which I dont), where is the logic of buying an expensive app?
    I'm finding it rather hard to not take this offensively, but okay:

I don't use it to justify anything. It's just a tool to manage and track my spending and saving, calculate how much I need for x and can afford to spend and take from y to something else on a flexible month by month basis that also tells me on what day to expect a bill.

I don't have problems with my money but I do have to sort out my savings more effectively, and PERSONALLY this helps me realise where I'm going wrong. I also got it for 7 quid so if one needed to you could just wait like most Steam consumers. A tool isn't a crutch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    If you have the ability to remember exactly where your account stands at any given time, good for you. The rest of us mere mortals use some form of tracking, as that's how we learnt to deal with it
    Even my bank doesn't seem to know exactly what my balance should be! My philosophy has been to make sure I'm not getting into trouble in the long term (month on month deficit) but not worry about recording every small purchase. My ex used to sit down every couple of weeks and enter all her receipts into (istr) quicken. To me life seems to short for that but I guess it does depend on your situation and she seemed to actually enjoy it.
    I started with a Google Docs sheet but my $deity was it a PITA to maintain on my phone!
    I would think a little careful thought and a few short scripts could significantly ease the pain. What you want to do from a phone is probably quite limited (record new expense, show balance ...) so you just want to make those things really easy to do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast