+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Did these two attend your place in General; Call me old fashioned, but to me the word gay means "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy"......and it was the ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Did these two attend your place

Call me old fashioned, but to me the word gay means "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy"......and it was the latter definition to which I was alluding in my original posting.

Let's just say I've had some interesting pms etc from various people today. I could take things further but I'm not like that ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    How gay.
    Didn't see any homosexual content so I assume you're using the word gay to mean happy? If not your comment is quite offensive!
    You serious?
    Very serious actually.

There is a nasty trend to use the word 'gay' as an insult ... this is derived from the idea that being a homosexual, having links to anything to do with gay culture or, in some cases, not being anti-gay is a bad thing.

The same way that racial slurs are not tolerated on this site neither are slurs about sexuality.

The English language has a plethora of words that can be used to express the dislike of music, art or other vary subjective areas. Please refrain from using such language which may be misconstrued as offensive by association.
    As a aside though. The English language as used within the UK has in recent times began to adopt a trend whereby the words introduced to replace negative derogatory phrases and descriptive terms are then themselves used as replacement items. It may be that political correctness is nothing more than a failed attempt to re-write the English language.
    I.E. EduGeek admins are 'special'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Call me old fashioned, but to me the word gay means "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy"......and it was the latter definition to which I was alluding in my original posting.
    Unfortunately it is not the most common usage in the present form of the English Language. This is where there are openings for people to misconstrue meanings, to take offense or to just plain misunderstand things.

Let's just say I've had some interesting pms etc from various people today. I could take things further but I'm not like that ;-)
    One of the best conversations about the use of words to describe sexuality was at a anti-homosexuality meeting whilst in the Army. Although this was not how it was entitled, this is what it was ... a chance for the people on high to remind the troops that when they signed on the line they agreed not to be homosexuals or be involved in homosexual relationships.

The use of the word gay to describe a homosexual bloke is fine ... not a problem ... it is a description that people are happy with ...

A homosexual women ... a lesbian (not a native of the isle of Lesbos ... in spite of that being a chat up line of a friend of mine ... who later admitted that they prefer to be called Lesvians or Mitilinians)

But they did point out that the Army has no problem with lesbians or gays ... but that a piece of paper was signed to agree not to do certain things including taking drugs, get involved in homosexual relations, be members of certain radical groups ... etc.

The big thing was that these words are descriptors ... the same way that I might be called a scouser or someone else a Geordie ... and that when we say these words we should be sure about the meaning, the context and the possible implications. This was obviously important as to call someone 'gay' in the forces is not to misalign their sexuality (which is how this is often taken) but to say that they are braking Queen's Regs ... and they could be charged and kicked out.

This drilled it home, more than anything else, that you need to be so careful with language ... and it can save so many problems if people think twice about what they post, and think about possible problems.

Personally, I was not sure about your meaning ... but others did take it on as a negative meaning and that was where I stepped in, as my response was in the context of the whole thread as well as the post I responded to.

Thank Post

Brilliant thread... don't ya just love the way this country is going.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah I just love the pm I got where I was called a bigoted, sexist, racist Jew. I mean, how did they know I was Jewish?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

And before anyone flies off the handle about my previous post I'd like to point out that I am actually Jewish.

Thank Post

I'd also like to point out that it wasn't me that sent the PM lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

I personally think the meaning of the word gay has found its equilibrium position.

Some people use it as a slur - some people use it as a factual description - some people use it as both in humour (Little Britain).

I would read the the phrase "How Gay" as humerous and in my mind it conjures up the Monty Python team dressed as women with raised handbags going oooH ....

If anyone wanted to cause insult, they'd have to use a different word to upset most people.

regards

Simon

Thank Post

There have been some really pathetic threads on eduGeek recently, but this takes the buscuit!

The word "gay", as used here, is the sort of expression I'd expect off the less able students. There is no way a member of staff, in a school, should be using this expression, it certainly wouldn't be tolerated in the schools I've worked in.

What next....?
    Are we going to sanction the use of racist language too?

I find the bad language used by some on this site offensive, since when did we pander to the lowest common demoninator???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Languages changes. In my dads time gay would mean bright and colorful. When I was at school it meant homosexual. nowdays gay just means 'rubbish'.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Languages changes. In my dads time gay would mean bright and colorful. When I was at school it meant homosexual. nowdays gay just means 'rubbish'.
    Sorry but that is not the case - gay still very much means homosexual and people (particularly students in schools it seems) use it in a derogatory way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

@jcollins
    I agree that the word is used in a derogatory way, and for this reason it shouldn't be used - but it doesn't necessarily mean homosexual. for example I have a gay high visibility jacket. clearly the jacket isn't homosexual, its just gay. therefore it is known as 'my gay jacket'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

It boils down to the fact that it is common for certain people to use words that perfectly describe something or someone, but they apply it in a negative context ...

Like calling someone ginger but with a sneer in the voice as if to say it is something bad (there are so many slurs about red heads and gingers it is astounding ... from Judas being a red head, therefore condeming all with red hair, through to the 'playful' bashing that happens in the forces ... "you had better hope that the enemy are all Gingers ... you can smell them coming!")

Can I also ask members that if they have a problem with a post or a thread that they contact the Mods or the Admins. Don't jump straight into an angry flame war via PM ... use PMs to ask probing questions about the true context of what was really meant by a poster to make sure you aren't getting the wrong end of the stick. Don't jump in with insults, especially personal ones.

Thank Post

And before anyone flies off the handle about my previous post I'd like to point out that I am actually Jewish.
    And if they knew that then they need to be modded down and given a heavy telling off for it.

And yes- you could equally take that as far as you wanted (probably further).

This thread has become insane!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast