+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How to be insufferable on Facebook in General; Originally Posted by Garacesh I'm guessing after the initial wave of the shoulder, other people have shop'd this 'infection' on ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I'm guessing after the initial wave of the shoulder, other people have shop'd this 'infection' on other body parts to further corroborate the hoax.
    It's all based on wtftit.jpg, an photoshop posted to the Something Awful forums in a "make fake diseases" photoshop competition years ago.

Thank Post
    To each their own. I have different 'circles' of which dictate my friend-pool-size. Family is, admittedly tiny. Mother, Mother's husband, Sister, done. Then I have friends I've met from high school, college, and out-and-about (which admittedly could do with another cull), probably around 60-ish people. Gaming friends (some of which have advanced to 'people I've actually met' or other miscellaneous online contacts take up the remaining 15-ish slots. I think my friend count is actually at 80-something. I may be entirely wrong and I don't care to check at work, but that sounds about right.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    It's all based on wtftit.jpg, an photoshop posted to the Something Awful forums in a "make fake diseases" photoshop competition years ago.
    Hm. Sounds about right. I do like SA's Photoshop Phriday but I tend not to check it often.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 30th June 2014 at 10:19 AM.

Thank Post
    Haha over the weekend I deleted pretty much 2/3 of my FaceBook friends that I either no longer talk to or I just blatantly didn't know! I now have 56 real friends on FaceBook, I'm also being very selective of the people I add from now on!

I think things like FaceBook causes more problems than it solves for example relationships are no longer the same and I'm sure we are all guilty of it, if my Girlfriend goes out I have a quick look on her profile the day after to make sure there hasn't been anything 'dodgy' going on in a picture or status etc... It's sad really but I'm sure most people are guilty of almost spying on their other half at some points.

I very rarely post a status update or get involved with FaceBook anymore, I pretty much use it as a IM to chat with my girlfriend when she has no signal, apart from that it's never used, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it got taken down tomorrow, imo that would be a good thing But that's just me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    The only friends I have on facebook that I havent met are a couple of geeks - but I've known them a long time.
    Thing is though, all my children's generation are leaving Facebook and flocking to Instagram or Twitter - but it won't be long before the same issues surface there, surely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The only friends I have on facebook that I havent met are a couple of geeks - but I've known them a long time.
    Thing is though, all my children's generation are leaving Facebook and flocking to Instagram or Twitter - but it won't be long before the same issues surface there, surely?
    I'm all for the younger generation leaving facebook. Might straighten things out a bit

Thank Post
    Lost a few "friends" that refused to communicate any other way. It's great not have to do weekly data entry for facebooks advertising database.

Also blocked it in my house because of the bandwidth it uses (even with no FB users in house) due to its tenticles reaching into other websites.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 30th June 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    ...And this is one of the things that annoy me on social media.

Random people telling you not to talk about things because of their feelings.

In fact, not even their feelings. The feelings of a person who may or may not actually care.
    I don't think that was what I was saying at all. I don't think it hurts to be considerate of how others might feel about your posts. I know there is a school of thought that says 'It's my wall I'll post what I like, you don't have to read it', but just the same as you wouldn't talk about some things in a public place, why is Facebook any different? If it's cruel to mock someone in public why is it okay to do so on Facebook? I'm very mindful of what I post on FB mostly from the 'What-if-potential-employers/customers-look-me-up' perspective but also because there are things I'd LOVE to say. Grievances I'd love to give air to that I'd LOVE to shame certain people publicly in front of my Friends and Family because they deserve to know what this person did and all this pussy footing around makes me irrationally angry. This woman DESERVES for all the family to know the full story of what she did. Her crime is despicable but my Mother and Uncle have chosen to keep it private meaning that other family members don't know what she's done. The problem with doing that though is that it will inevitably lead to innocent people being hurt. So I DON'T. I don't post about it.

The majority of my posts are pictures of the animals, house-related stuff and the occasional opinion on current events. I choose to censor myself out of consideration. I don't think it's unreasonable to dislike those that don't. I'm not dictating what they can post about but they should understand that the things they say might hurt someone. If they're happy with this then let them get on with it, but I think more people should examine the consequences of the things they post before they post them.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Aaaand this is why I should have known better and to keep my mouth shut - you never know what's going on behind closed doors. I know from experience how upsetting it can be when people keep saying "so, married a year now, when are you having a baby?" without any idea what you're going through behind the scenes; you'd think I'd learn from that. Sorry if I caused any upset by wading in where I wasn't welcome on a public internet forum, of all places. Mea culpa.
    I don't think that is what I was saying at all. IVF works for some people and not others. Some people want to go to those lengths and others (like myself) are afraid of the consequences (it's worth pointing out that the horrific migraines I suffer put me at increased risk of Stroke and Brain Damage so they may not actually LET me have IVF). I don't think I could adopt. I know a couple who adopted and the eldest boy is very challenging. Kudos to him and his wife but I couldn't cope with that stress.

You didn't cause upset just as I wasn't saying STFU so I'm not sure why the snark is here. But when you have trouble conceiving you get a lot of oft-repeated well-meaning advice, anecdotes, stories and happy-endings. Lots of 'keep your spirits up it will happen for you, it happened for us', but ultimately these are totally meaningless. Just as every couple and every person is individual, the struggle they face is individual too. It's helpful to know others are feeling your pain but the bottom line is that eventually it will either happen or it won't and the experiences of others has no bearing at all on the outcome of this, it just cements the 'I'm broken' feelings deeper into your psyche. Of course if you moan about it on facebook then you invite these kinds of comments so really it's a bit of a catch-22 tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    TBH I think you all need to be a bit more discerning at to who you are friends with!
    Yes, people do post lots of pictures of their babies, or their cats or dogs or whatever, which can be annoying if you aren't in their particular zone - but if they are people you love then you will understand and forgive them.
    I do get annoyed at those "like this page and show your support for..." pages and I too do the snopes thing when rumours are posted as fact but mostly my friends and family post things I am interested in. I like to know what is going on in their lives! Facebook has put me back in contact with many of my cousins - we were close as children but then scattered to the four winds - and it is great to feel as if I have a family again. Since we lost mum and dad it has felt as if my sister and I are alone but Facebook has shown us that we do still have an extended family who care a lot.
    It's funny - it is only thanks to Facebook that I managed to reunite my Father with his estranged Father (my Grandfather). It can be a useful tool in moderation. You can't prevent people from being annoying on Facebook any more than you can prevent them being annoying in a public place and large amounts of the time I spend on Facebook are spent hiding annoying posts I don't want to see and hunting around for stuff I DO want to see. I don't think their 'feed settings' work properly though as I often want to see updates from people and never do, even though I know they've posted. So how does Facebook determine what is an 'important' update vs what isn't?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I don't think that was what I was saying at all. I don't think it hurts to be considerate of how others might feel about your posts. I know there is a school of thought that says 'It's my wall I'll post what I like, you don't have to read it', but just the same as you wouldn't talk about some things in a public place, why is Facebook any different? If it's cruel to mock someone in public why is it okay to do so on Facebook? I'm very mindful of what I post on FB mostly from the 'What-if-potential-employers/customers-look-me-up' perspective but also because there are things I'd LOVE to say. Grievances I'd love to give air to that I'd LOVE to shame certain people publicly in front of my Friends and Family because they deserve to know what this person did and all this pussy footing around makes me irrationally angry. This woman DESERVES for all the family to know the full story of what she did. Her crime is despicable but my Mother and Uncle have chosen to keep it private meaning that other family members don't know what she's done. The problem with doing that though is that it will inevitably lead to innocent people being hurt. So I DON'T. I don't post about it.

The majority of my posts are pictures of the animals, house-related stuff and the occasional opinion on current events. I choose to censor myself out of consideration. I don't think it's unreasonable to dislike those that don't. I'm not dictating what they can post about but they should understand that the things they say might hurt someone. If they're happy with this then let them get on with it, but I think more people should examine the consequences of the things they post before they post them.
    That wasn't directed to anyone here. What @sonofsanta said just reminded me of something that annoys me.

The "I'm on a diet, so you can't talk about food" style of posts.
    Or the Tumblr SJW rants that generalise on both sides and do nothing other than thought/language police and wind people up [on both sides].

The baby thing, for example... While it makes you uncomfortable, and people should be a bit mindful, you can't expect others to not talk about their life because of your feelings. [Not saying you expect that, it's a general you.]

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tumblr is a special case, namely the Internet Blog equivalent of the Daily Mail.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Tumblr is a special case, namely the Internet Blog equivalent of the Daily Mail.
    Tumblr is a race to see who can be the most special snowflake. It's gotten to the point now where if they don't have any special snowflake uniqueness, they just make it up (see: otherkin).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tumblr is a race to see who can be the most special snowflake. It's gotten to the point now where if they don't have any special snowflake uniqueness, they just make it up (see: otherkin).
    They were already doing that with self diagnosis...

Hell, they're actively pretended to be trans and calling actual trans people scum for calling them out on it.

ing Tumblr!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    It can be a useful tool in moderation. You can't prevent people from being annoying on Facebook any more than you can prevent them being annoying in a public place and large amounts of the time I spend on Facebook are spent hiding annoying posts I don't want to see and hunting around for stuff I DO want to see. I don't think their 'feed settings' work properly though as I often want to see updates from people and never do, even though I know they've posted. So how does Facebook determine what is an 'important' update vs what isn't?
    THIS^ annoys me more than anything. Why don't I just see everything that my friends post? Why does some of it never appear?

Thank Post
    I can't stand the passive aggressive statements for attention.

eg:
    THAT PERSON WHO KNOWS WHO THEY ARE HURFHURFHURF
    etc, its like children in a playground..

Thank Post
    People are getting really angry! I LIKE IT!

How to be insufferable on Facebook-97b0a2a45fa8be8db46f372b10c6badc2e6bdbbd7b0a5ce729e8eb9636693082.jpg

15. Thanks to abillybob from:

Garacesh (30th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    People are getting really angry! I LIKE IT!
    JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! ...

Far be it from me to judge anybodies beliefs (though, realistically, as a human being, I judge everything by nature..).. WAT. I can understand (if not condone) religious beliefs but to believe one is "not human" either in part or entirely.. The mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Hell, they're actively pretended to be trans and calling actual trans people scum for calling them out on it.
    You guys make me want to start a tumblr account just to see the rages.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast