+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How to be insufferable on Facebook in General; Originally Posted by Garacesh That's part of the problem :P I don't know enough about fitness to go it alone ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    That's part of the problem :P I don't know enough about fitness to go it alone so I'd need some help.

Which means I have to make myself get noticed. And I have to point out I'm a weakling noob that doesn't know his squats from his pressups. Also I'd be like "Yeah.. I can't interrupt any of these guys mid-workout to ask for advice. That's just rude."
    Any commercial gym will have staff who should be happy to help you out. They shouldn't really let you lose on equipment until they have shown you round and told you what's what.

Thank Post
    Fair play Miscbrah's post had me in tears of laughter yesterday when I was reading this thread.

I read that post at beginning of thread and it was spot on in fairness, I came off facebook over a year ago now (not long after my son was born and my sister passed away), it was a good decision I think as I wasn't happy with that site at all, it was very spammy and you tire of the fair whack of passive aggressive "look at me" posts.

I disliked intently the fact that people in my friends list were posting some stupidly gruesome images that I had no choice up front of seeing, I also got fed up seeing intelligent people posting stupid internet rumours on there all the time, to the point where I was linking snopes mythbusting links on a near daily basis or asking them to link in their facts on the rumours they were spreading.

I have spells where I cant tolerate Social Networking it seems, though I am now back on Google+(everything a social network should be, posts of interest and very very minimal spam), Twitter and Linkedin again

Thank Post
    Great original post... I will have to share it later as I have a few friends who could do with reading it. And one of my sisters who constantly posts stuff about her or her kids being ill (and I don't mean with bubonic plague, just a cold or flu)

I think the article actually reveals quite a lot about us a as a society these days and as someone who loves people watching, I find it fascinating. Facebook for me is great for keeping in touch with people you can't see or haven't seen for a long time - Ex shipmates from the time I was in the Navy for example.

My pet hate at the moment is the vines or memes that always seems to start with "this seems like an ordinary (insert noun here) but what happens next MADE ME WET MY PANTS/SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST/CRY LIKE A BABY"

Why are are shouting at me and who are you?

Anyway must get off her and go for a run then write some songs then have an amazing time with my my amazing partner

Ps - I am right in thinking that Facebook did used to have a dislike button?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    TBH I think you all need to be a bit more discerning at to who you are friends with!
    Yes, people do post lots of pictures of their babies, or their cats or dogs or whatever, which can be annoying if you aren't in their particular zone - but if they are people you love then you will understand and forgive them.
    I do get annoyed at those "like this page and show your support for..." pages and I too do the snopes thing when rumours are posted as fact but mostly my friends and family post things I am interested in. I like to know what is going on in their lives! Facebook has put me back in contact with many of my cousins - we were close as children but then scattered to the four winds - and it is great to feel as if I have a family again. Since we lost mum and dad it has felt as if my sister and I are alone but Facebook has shown us that we do still have an extended family who care a lot.

Thank Post
    from my pov, I only had RL people I was friendly with throughout school/adult life, I wasn't up for adding in "Random Nobodies" like some of the people I was friends with and when they did post stuff that was objectional to me, I removed it swiftly, though I accept that you cant really vet everyone for their sense of humour/personality in advance I felt, pretty much anything done by me was retroactive or reactionary.

The offensive posts (the particular one I did not want to see at all, I wont go into major detail, but it was a picture demonstrating a gruesome tropical disease and its effect) propagated amongst people on my list, either knowing or unknowing, but obviously, I removed them pretty much straight away as I had no choice on facebook and had to view them on the wall with no self-censorship.

I remember reading a blog before that explained that most of this behaviour on facebook though is similar enough to the spreading of a virus/infection, people pretty much seem to either knowingly or unknowingly spread this stuff, usually unknowingly as they clicked on a "Free Shopping Voucher" link I found out a couple of times (its a major bug bear of mine that Facebook, never did a Sensitive Content option like twitter, at least when I was on there).

Ironically now my mum is now getting into it bigtime and my wife still loves it and my sister uses it to help her business presence, just I am the person who can do without it in my immediate family.

Thank Post
    Latest one to be doing the rounds is a 'necrotic reaction to shampoo' which is actually just a lotus pod photoshopped onto somebodies shoulder.

Personally (though I understand a lot of people don't understand how graphical editing is achieved) I think it's quite a poor shop. The 'infection' shows a bone colour but is clearly raised out from the skin, regardless of the fact that around the edges they've tried to make it look otherwise.

3/10. Would not panic-share.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They spread like a virus probably because they are a virus. Facebook is a malware platform in itself and a lot of malicious software spreads via social engineering to make you click for free stuff, capture your details with a survey and secretly share your 'status' with everyone else to direct them towards the scam. And that's before the inane drivel of hoaxes claiming a hundred puppies will die if you don't share the post, stuff which has been spread around via E-Mail and YouTube comments for years before Facebook.

Thank Post
    Latest one to be doing the rounds is a 'necrotic reaction to shampoo' which is actually just a lotus pod photoshopped onto somebodies shoulder. .
    didn't look like a shoulder in the one I saw....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't even need to be insufferable on Facebook any more... They'll do it for you.

Facebook let shrinks MESS WITH YOUR HEAD, sans permission

Yeah... Facebook is experimenting on their users. [Manipulating the emotions of someone who may/may not have a mental illness is SURELY THE BEST IDEA EVAR!]

So glad I stopped using it.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I read that one. Truth be told I'm not particularly concerned (probably through complacency or selfishness, at least I'll admit it, if nothng else) I understand that some experiments have to be done 'blind' else there's no empirical way of gathering the results. Even if you have 15,000 control groups and 1 Active group, if the active group know there is a chance they're being observed and what for, their behaviour will change - as will the behaviour of the control groups.

Admittedly the control groups in this case wouldn't need to be informed - just check their newsfeeds as-is and see how many negative statuses are posted, correlate results, done. But as for the Active group who are having their feeds manipulated, I do agree they certainly should have picked a better emotion. I guess it's just easier to invoke negativity than positivity, huh?

Whilst I don't 'outright disagree' there are certainly more precautions that could have been taken. If I had to say "Yes" or "No" it would be "No".

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    didn't look like a shoulder in the one I saw....
    I'm guessing after the initial wave of the shoulder, other people have shop'd this 'infection' on other body parts to further corroborate the hoax.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 30th June 2014 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I read that one. Truth be told I'm not particularly concerned (probably through complacency or selfishness, at least I'll admit it, if nothng else) I understand that some experiments have to be done 'blind' else there's no empirical way of gathering the results. Even if you have 15,000 control groups and 1 Active group, if the active group know there is a chance they're being observed and what for, their behaviour will change - as will the behaviour of the control groups.
    A popup asking for consent is all they needed.

After that, they could be put into whatever positive/negative/control group the researchers wanted.

I keep seeing people making comparisons to drug tests... but you sign up for those. You don't have someone randomly drugging you for teh lulz.
    Last edited by X-13; 30th June 2014 at 08:45 AM.

Thank Post
    I'm like @witch. Family and real-life friends only i.e. people I've actually met ​<shock horror>. Logon to it maybe twice, three times a week

I heard the report on the news this morning about the messing with heads. Not surprised at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    A popup asking for consent is all they needed.
    It's probably somewhere in the terms. I dunno. Haven't read them.

But again, to ask for consent requires you give information about the study. You can't just go "Oi. Can we do a test on you?", because that doesn't help - even with your own example of possible mental illness. You have no idea what the test is. So you'd have to say "Can we do a test that involves manipulating your news feed in order to judge emotional reaction?", which gives people enough information to subconsciously change how they act and skew your results. Truth is, experiments like this are lose-lose.

As for facebook, I only add people I've met or people I've gamed with for years that have become actual friends, not just gaming buddies. I used to regularly friend-cull people who I hadn't had any contact with for $timeFrame to the point that I'm down to less than 100 friends right now. Anything that pops up that I don't want to see (which isn't really a whole deal beyond baby pictures) I get rid of it. I blocked every game I received an invite to or saw in my news feed (oh, and bitstrips. Screw those things), which doesn't take long at all and now I don't see a single one (also because I unfriended the people sharing them because we had no other interaction). It's honestly not difficult to wash out the tripe if you just take the time to do it. "Oh, but why should I have to take the time to do it?" some people (not saying anybody in this thread) cry.. Well, simple. Facebook is there to make money. It will share any and all content with you in pursuit of achieving that unless you tell it not to. Suck it up, or start marking things as unwanted.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 30th June 2014 at 08:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's probably somewhere in the terms. I dunno. Haven't read them.
    There's something about using data for research. But, this isn't using data for research. This is using people for research.

And I doubt anyone read the T&C before/when signing up.

Thank Post
    <SNIP>

.....to the point that I'm down to less than 100 friends right now. <snip>
    100? Dear lord, I don't even have a quarter of that many. There just aren't that many people in my life who are that important to me.

And that's the way I like it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread