+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
General Chat Thread, My new motor!! in General; I must ask, daft question but what exactly is an "Ex-motability" car?...
  1. #31
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    I must ask, daft question but what exactly is an "Ex-motability" car?

  2. #32
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Cars provided by dealers / manufacturers specifically for the use for people who claim Disability, or have a disability are entitled to a motability car. SO the Car is leased to the dealer, and the customer who is in reciept of Disability.. has the money go to the people who provide the car instead... they also get free car tax and insurance I believe. All they need to do is put fuel in. My gran used to have a car on motability. My car under the contract of motability, has been serviced every 4000 miles, once the lease was up and the car went back to the dealer it was released for 3rd party resale. I'm the first 3rd party owner as there's only ever been one previous owner and that was the dealer.

    So it's been well looked after... except someone decided to scrape the drivers side rear door against a bollard.. but doesnt affect the running of the car - it's just a war wound!
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 24th June 2014 at 12:25 PM.

  3. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

    Fleetwood (24th June 2014)

  4. #33
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    I seeeeeee, I thought it was a car that had additional equipment installed to help disabled people drive.. my bad, thanks for explaining! That sounds pretty decent then, at least you know it's been well looked after and hasn't been used as a Halfords shopping trolley
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 24th June 2014 at 12:31 PM.

  5. #34
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I seeeeeee, I thought it was a car that had additional equipment installed to help disabled people drive.. my bad, thanks for explaining! That sounds pretty decent then, at least you know it's been well looked after and hasn't been used as a Halfords shopping trolley
    Well, unfortunately... The car was acquired by a second hand dealer... I noticed it on his forecourt and enquired. Unfortunately the mechanic had used the car as a runabout on his Company Insurance. TO my surprise upon looking at the interior his mechanic had obviously been sat in the drivers seat with an oily backside and left muck all over the seats where his hands have been. When I was a mechanic I would of not left a car in this state. I remember seeing other cars in there possession like this too. I've had to give it a good clean. She's right as rain now.

    I've put seat covers over the seats as some of the seats are starting to wear... especially the drivers seat.

    All good now she's had some TLC.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 24th June 2014 at 12:40 PM.

  6. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    679
    Thank Post
    264
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Disabled people who are in receipt of the higher rate for mobility can choose to surrender their money in exchange for a lease car. The car is leased under a full maintenance package so servicing, tyres and repairs are all covered. The lease also includes group car insurance and all disabled people are entitled to free VED anyway or their primary carer can claim it too, so if you are the primary carer for a disabled person you're entitled to free road tax too.

    They get a choice of car from here:

    http://www.motability.co.uk/

    Unfortunately due to pressure bought by the gutter press claiming disabled people were driving around in "free BMWs and Mercs" they changed the system and capped it. It meant a lot of autos got excluded ironically enough. It's sad that people refer to them as free cars because they're not free at all they're surrendering £50 odd a week to have the car so it's not cheap really when you look at it that way.

    My Citroen is ex motability, you get a nice print out with any work the vehicles had done or you should do. They do look after their cars really well. The MiL has one as she can only walk very short distances due to having a hernia with more out than in and a heart problem.

  7. #36

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    3,185
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 438 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I seeeeeee, I thought it was a car that had additional equipment installed to help disabled people drive.. my bad, thanks for explaining! That sounds pretty decent then, at least you know it's been well looked after and hasn't been used as a Halfords shopping trolley
    Meh. Not always looked after swell as someone who has paid for their car, the car is free to people who have disabilities but just because they have to have it serviced every year doesn't mean it's well looked after in fact it's normally quite the opposite, the person in question didn't buy the car, they don't own the car and will eventually get given a new free car so why bother looking after it. My girlfriends mum had a car on motability and I don't envy the person who bought it afterwards, it was smoked in driven like a looney bin and had more knocks and crashes than I can remember she never used to care as it was the government who paid out to get it fixed, the thing was an 08 Zafira, when it left her home it looked like a car in stunning condition although you never know how hard it's been driven and that thing will have a lot of issues. I would rather buy a car of someone who has paid for it and loved it rather than someone who got it free and used it like a trash can. Just my opinion though it depends on the owner who had it last.
    @cpjitservices how much was the car? My girlfriend bought her 03 play Corsa from a car auction in Telford was in perfect condition only has 28,000 miles on the clock and full service history it cost her £1,300, the problem being the dealer wants a cut in the sale price of the car and you may have been a little done. I will always go private sale or auction for my cars as long as you know what you're looking out for you'll always come away with a good buy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    It's sad that people refer to them as free cars because they're not free at all they're surrendering £50 odd a week to have the car so it's not cheap really when you look at it that way.[FONT=Verdana]
    £50 per week that is given to them for free by the government? It is very cheap for insurance, tax, mot, servicing, breakdown cover and they fix it if you damage it, they also come out and give the car a clean if you're a declared smoker every month. Oh and just for the record my car wasn't brand new it was 2 years old when I bought it and it costs me £60 per week with the addition of insurance, tax and everything else delightful on top of that so yes £50 is very cheap for a brand new car and all you need to do is fuel it!
    Last edited by abillybob; 24th June 2014 at 12:59 PM.

  8. #37
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Meh. Not always looked after swell as someone who has paid for their car, the car is free to people who have disabilities but just because they have to have it serviced every year doesn't mean it's well looked after in fact it's normally quite the opposite, the person in question didn't buy the car, they don't own the car and will eventually get given a new free car so why bother looking after it. My girlfriends mum had a car on motability and I don't envy the person who bought it afterwards, it was smoked in driven like a looney bin and had more knocks and crashes than I can remember she never used to care as it was the government who paid out to get it fixed, the thing was an 08 Zafira, when it left her home it looked like a car in stunning condition although you never know how hard it's been driven and that thing will have a lot of issues. I would rather buy a car of someone who has paid for it and loved it rather than someone who got it free and used it like a trash can. Just my opinion though it depends on the owner who had it last.
    @cpjitservices how much was the car? My girlfriend bought her 03 play Corsa from a car auction in Telford was in perfect condition only has 28,000 miles on the clock and full service history it cost her £1,300, the problem being the dealer wants a cut in the sale price of the car and you may have been a little done. I will always go private sale or auction for my cars as long as you know what you're looking out for you'll always come away with a good buy!

    [FONT=Verdana]
    £50 per week that is given to them for free by the government? It is very cheap for insurance, tax, mot, servicing, breakdown cover and they fix it if you damage it, they also come out and give the car a clean if you're a declared smoker every month. Oh and just for the record my car wasn't brand new it was 2 years old when I bought it and it costs me £60 per week with the addition of insurance, tax and everything else delightful on top of that so yes £50 is very cheap for a brand new car and all you need to do is fuel it!
    It was on the forecourt for 875, I got it for 575... and quite rightly so as tax was about to run out so I went and taxed it so 575 + 99 for tax. Not bad for a decent 51 plate. MOT is October.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 24th June 2014 at 01:22 PM.

  9. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

    Bananas (24th June 2014)

  10. #38

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    3,185
    Thank Post
    433
    Thanked 438 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    It was on the forecourt for 875, I got it for 575... and quite rightly so as tax was about to run out so I went and taxed it so 575 + 99 for tax. Not bad for a decent 51 plate.
    Very good buy at that price!

  11. #39
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Indeed, I'm glad I got the estate. I was originally after a hatchback.... but got this for the same price as a hatchback.

    Like I say - The car isnt in perfect condition not that that alters the running of it!!

    She's perfect to me anyway

  12. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

    Bananas (24th June 2014)

  13. #40
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    It was on the forecourt for 875, I got it for 575... and quite rightly so as tax was about to run out so I went and taxed it so 575 + 99 for tax. Not bad for a decent 51 plate. MOT is October.
    Bargain, well done!

  14. #41
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Bargain, well done!
    Yeah thanks, I consider it to be low mileage too... especially for whats out there for a low price range. It was a toss up to be honest between the Focus and An Astra G (Hatchback) on sale for 695 with 6 months T&T - Y Plate 1.7 167,890 on the clock. Same price on tax and insurance but I think I Made the right choice.

  15. #42
    Fleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    757
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 107 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    44
    For the price you paid the fine majority would all be on average 150k+ at least with a few Cat C/D or "non starters," so 86k(?) - for the age of the car - would definitely be classed as very low mileage (I believe the 'general' calculation for average mileage is 12,000 * age of car in years, in which case yours would be 156k) so yeah you've got a good one there. Obvious things to keep an eye on now really would be the usual belts/clutch jobs etc. at some point in the future I guess, but either way a good purchase hope it serves you well!

    I bought a 2001 Mondeo TDDI a few weeks back for £600, I've already had £1,000 spent on it (the dreaded clutch, DMF + starter replacement and usual bits like brake pad/disc) but I absolutely love it - 114k miles and still drives like new. It's come complete with typical Mondeo Man reputation such as the odd dent in the bodywork and a very poor service history, "that Mondeo smell" interior and rusty doors but giving her some TLC each week at the moment, she'll be looking gorgeous soon enough! Much prefer it to the 2009 Corsa I've come from, weirdly.
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 24th June 2014 at 01:41 PM.

  16. 2 Thanks to Fleetwood:

    Bananas (24th June 2014), cpjitservices (24th June 2014)

  17. #43

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,176
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 104 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Neat, I really liked the focus MK1 ESP I had it was a good car

  18. 2 Thanks to caffrey:

    Bananas (24th June 2014), cpjitservices (24th June 2014)

  19. #44
    cpjitservices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hessle
    Posts
    2,605
    Thank Post
    544
    Thanked 301 Times in 277 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    For the price you paid the fine majority would all be on average 150k+ at least with a few Cat C/D or "non starters," so 86k(?) - for the age of the car - would definitely be classed as very low mileage (I believe the 'general' calculation for average mileage is 12,000 * age of car in years, in which case yours would be 156k) so yeah you've got a good one there. Obvious things to keep an eye on now really would be the usual belts/clutch jobs etc. at some point in the future I guess, but either way a good purchase hope it serves you well!

    I bought a 2001 Mondeo TDDI a few weeks back for £600, I've already had £1,000 spent on it (the dreaded clutch, DMF + starter replacement and usual bits like brake pad/disc) but I absolutely love it - 114k miles and still drives like new. It's come complete with typical Mondeo Man reputation such as the odd dent in the bodywork and a very poor service history, "that Mondeo smell" interior and rusty doors but giving her some TLC each week at the moment, she'll be looking gorgeous soon enough! Much prefer it to the 2009 Corsa I've come from, weirdly.
    Well Mondeos are solid, one of my favorite cars! and you got it for a good price!! I've always been a mad Mondeo fan right form the mark 1, my father in law had the mark 2 Mondeo non turbo, he had it about a year, he bought it second hand as a runabout with 235,000 on the clock. It got scrapped at 242,950. Bottom end went in the engine - it was a Duratorq 1.8. Bloody good engine considering he didnt spend a penny on it apart from the £150 he paid for it! Don't get me wrong the engine was as flat as a fart... but it kept on going and held on for dear life right until the end! The body work wasnt too bad either. Nothing that would of been serious for an MOT failure.

    I believe my father in law also bought the mark 2 petrol version... didnt have it long and got a motability Citroen C4.

  20. #45

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    742
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 188 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Ahhhh thanks but its boot release button... Like this one... Attachment 25223

    To open bonnet I Have to use my key
    Sorry, I misread. I have a spare stereo cowl in my car cupboard at home. I'll double check but i think it's still in the wrapping. You can have for postage cost.

    I love the Focus, here's mine.
    My new motor!!-focus1.jpg

  21. Thanks to difinity from:

    cpjitservices (24th June 2014)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My New Motor
    By Hightower in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 1st November 2011, 09:17 AM
  2. HELP WITH MY NEW IP LAYOUT
    By TornUp in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12th May 2008, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd April 2008, 02:44 PM
  4. What should I do with my new servers?
    By sidewinder in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21st November 2006, 11:35 PM
  5. My new laptop
    By Dos_Box in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21st November 2006, 12:05 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •