Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, recommendations for connecting win 8 tablets to classroom video projectors in General; Hi guys Looking for kit recommendations on connecting win 8.1 tablets to our video projectors.. I'd like to get away ...

Thank Post

recommendations for connecting win 8 tablets to classroom video projectors

Hi guys

Looking for kit recommendations on connecting win 8.1 tablets to our video projectors..

I'd like to get away without using multi input video splitter boxes.

The video projectors are Casio LED units- they have single vga (taken by desktop pc) svideo input (not used) and a hdmi and audo input (not used).

As it will be for both audio and video the hdmi option will be the best to go for.

Recommend away guys n gals

Thank Post
    Do they support miracast/WiDi? It might be worth looking at, you can get a HDMI dongle for the projector (normally require 5V power via USB) and then use 8.1 to 'project to' that dongle or use software. That's the route we would consider if we could afford 8.1 tablets >_>".

3. Thanks to JRowley from:

cobra427col (23rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    A chromecast type dongle in the hdmi port will be viable option.

5. Thanks to Galway from:

cobra427col (23rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    (sorry for delay - setting up stuff for sports day)

they are asus vivio tabs and support wireless display option..

What sort of range are we talking - staff have asked if they would be usable from the back of their rooms (not likely to be often but depends of the lesson i suppose). Ive said that they should be ok.

any particular brands do you think I should look at - or are they much the same.?

Thank Post
    For Intel's system they state the range is up to 20 feet, you could probably get a bit more if you used a receiver with better antenna, but the cost would go up. Can't tell you about brands, have no experience with it.

Thank Post
    My experience with Widi was truly terrible. It may have been the device, the Widi drivers at the time, or the Widi box we bought. Hate it as a result, and ditched the equipment. Instead, I used Splashtop to remote view the screen onto a PC hard wired to the projector. No good for video, but ideal for annotation, images and presentations. Obviously needs an extra PC in the room as a result!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    My experience with Widi was truly terrible. It may have been the device, the Widi drivers at the time, or the Widi box we bought. Hate it as a result, and ditched the equipment. Instead, I used Splashtop to remote view the screen onto a PC hard wired to the projector. No good for video, but ideal for annotation, images and presentations. Obviously needs an extra PC in the room as a result!
    How long ago was that?

Thank Post
    A year. Should also mention that was with Windows 7 - 8.1 may be better. I'll certainly not be trying it again as we wasted money, but I can't say for certain that it's as poor now. Apparently if it 'just works' it's great, problem is that it just doesn't work for many of us.

Thank Post
    Well, its relatively cheap to test if you have the right kit, if you already have 8.1 tablets then all you really need is a Smart TV or a 20-30 dongle to try the technology out. That's not a huge investment to determine if the technology is worth a further look at. I recently saw this showcased at a seminar and it looked very impressive, they brought their own laptop and then connected to the smart TV in the room they had hired, was seamless really.

Thank Post
    A smart TV is one thing - but IME the adaptors to make a projector work are closer to 50, and are a total swine to get working. Check some recent reviews, it's still the case with the newer gen stuff. Plus getting it to work while logged in as a restricted user is even more fun.

Thank Post
    Even at 50, that's not a huge amount, if it turns out that its no good for you then having spent only 50 is significantly better than say a Wireless Projector, or cables a receiver and software on a pc etc. etc. On the other hand 50 to find that the technology is exactly what your looking for, even better.

Hell, depending on where you are in the country, travelling to a seminar to see how it works could cost you that much in fuel.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread