+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, turn tv into a smart tv in General; Looking at setting up a MediaPC something like Mythbuntu... want it for the GF so she can watch downloaded movies, ...

Thank Post

turn tv into a smart tv

Looking at setting up a MediaPC something like Mythbuntu... want it for the GF so she can watch downloaded movies, avi, mpg file types etc. Then Stream Netflix, iPlayer, 4oD, youTube etc. Basically turn her TV into a smart TV.

I've got plenty of old boxes lying around the office I could but an OS on.

Anyone got any recommendations?

However not sure she'll want a huge box! How do other people do this? raspberry pi? Any other pre-built packages anyone would recommend? How will have to be WiFi too

Just seen this anyone had one of these / similar devices before?
    JUSTOP K9 Android 4.1 TV Dongle/Box/Media Player Smart TV Adapter Dual-Core 1.6G | eBay

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    Looking at setting up a MediaPC something like Mythbuntu... want it for the GF so she can watch downloaded movies, avi, mpg file types etc. Then Stream Netflix, iPlayer, 4oD, youTube etc. Basically turn her TV into a smart TV.

I've got plenty of old boxes lying around the office I could but an OS on.

Anyone got any recommendations?

However not sure she'll want a huge box! How do other people do this? raspberry pi? Any other pre-built packages anyone would recommend? How will have to be WiFi too

Just seen this anyone had one of these / similar devices before?
    JUSTOP K9 Android 4.1 TV Dongle/Box/Media Player Smart TV Adapter Dual-Core 1.6G | eBay

Both @Dos_Box and I have had those K9s, his was fine mine went back after being replaced a few times.

You can get a media box build for Pi here Downloads | Raspberry Pi

What about one of these? Digihome 50" Full HD Smart ELED Freeview HD TV | Ebuyer.com got one on my desk at the moment and for the money I am really impressed.

3. Thanks to Danp from:

visioN (20th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Raspbmc with a Raspberry Pi I'm sure that will do, the android based sticks aren't very good I've used a few they're all a bit slow I'd stick with a Raspberry Pi if you're looking at inexpensive alternatives, the now TV Box apparently is also very good and it can be used to run Plex etc...

5. Thanks to abillybob from:

visioN (20th June 2014)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Loads of options but a raspberry pi + openelec is probably your best bet.

Should only take 5mins to setup.

Personally I would always go with better hardware like the Intel NUC + a good remote

7. Thanks to zag from:

visioN (20th June 2014)

Thank Post
    The best cheap alternative would be a Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc - You can pick up a full kit from CPC for £50.

If you want a more powerful altertive that as zag said about look at the Intel NUC, but it is a lot more expensive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would advise going for one of the newer Android based boxes with a physical LAN interface TBH as the wireless on these isn't the best and struggles to stream HD content, even from my NAS box in the house.
    The tech in teh K9 is now a few years old and it's beginning to show.

10. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

visioN (20th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Personally I would always go with better hardware like the Intel NUC + a good remote
    +1 on this spending that few more quid on an XBMC client can really make a difference and last a lot longer imho raspberry pi's aren't amazingly responsive on XBMC!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    That would be my choice if you want to keep the size down, though I use a full-on W8.1 machine myself (connected to the TV by HDMI). It might look better if I could afford a nicer case!

Not sure if it does everything you want it to, but bonus daughter is loving her Chromecast.

Thank Post
    Ok so looking at the Raspberry Pi XBMC Starter kit for 50quids doesn't seem too bad

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post

What about one of these? Digihome 50" Full HD Smart ELED Freeview HD TV | Ebuyer.com got one on my desk at the moment and for the money I am really impressed.
    How does this compare to an LG / Samsung / Panasonic etc , that is a bit cheaper than the LG I was looking at on ebuyer , LG I was looking at was here :

edit - think I may stick to this LG Telly as the response time on the digi home isn't that brilliant and the LG has just scan which is what I need when connecting to at least my mac mini etc

LG 42LB580V 42" Full HD Smart TV - Televisions | Ebuyer.com
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 20th June 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    How does this compare to an LG / Samsung / Panasonic etc , that is a bit cheaper than the LG I was looking at on ebuyer , LG I was looking at was here :

edit - think I may stick to this LG Telly as the response time on the digi home isn't that brilliant and the LG has just scan which is what I need when connecting to at least my mac mini etc

LG 42LB580V 42" Full HD Smart TV - Televisions | Ebuyer.com
    For the money, I think it's great, but you can see why it's cheap. Switching between inputs can be hit and miss, but it's currently running via HDMI showing a YouTube video and it's fine, nice and crisp picture.

16. Thanks to Danp from:

mac_shinobi (20th June 2014)

Ant

Thank Post
    I've been fairly happy using Chromecasts, with Plex and BubbleUPNP. Works well for me although does not support all of the UK TV on demand services except BBC.

Using BubbleUPNP or Plex, I can stream pretty much anything from any of my PCs, tablets or phones to any of my TVs.

May not be the most fully featured setup and not for everyone, but I was after minimal effort and fuss, and the above ticks the boxes for me.
    Last edited by Ant; 20th June 2014 at 02:45 PM.

18. Thanks to Ant from:

visioN (20th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I had Mk808 Dual core 2 years ago. Worked really well with XBMC set up. now using Imito QX1, Works well but not the best HW acceleration support. With custom rom its much better. All my media center setup with this including Beyond XBMC , torrent stream controller and much more.

I would not choose another Imito product again, their support is very poor. My next aim to get a newly launched Minix Neo X8 geekbuying link
    Now Minix Neo X7 price is reduced since the new arrival. if you want a decent media player go for Minix Neo X7 / X8. Minix provide the best support for their product. all custom roms can be found here FreakTab.com

I bought all my android sticks from Geekbuying.

- - - Updated - - -

I had Mk808 Dual core 2 years ago. Worked really well with XBMC set up. now using Imito QX1, Works well but not the best HW acceleration support. With custom rom its much better. All my media center setup with this including Beyond XBMC , torrent stream controller and much more.

I would not choose another Imito product again, their support is very poor. My next aim to get a newly launched Minix Neo X8 geekbuying link
    Now Minix Neo X7 price is reduced since the new arrival. if you want a decent media player go for Minix Neo X7 / X8. Minix provide the best support for their product. all custom roms can be found here freaktab.com

I bought all my android sticks from Geekbuying.

20. Thanks to lionsl2005 from:

visioN (20th June 2014)

Thank Post
    XBMC on a Pi, is deadly slow though. And forget anything close to HD.

I've used an old Core 2 Quad mobo, stuck it into a "desktop" style case and installed XBMC on it.

We use the Playstation BluRay remote most of the time, but if it fails I've got a little wireless Microsoft Arc mouse plugged in. I keep a central XBMC database on a server share, and we access the media on the home server via that.

Works a treat. We also use the iPad app for XBMC, not only can you pause/play/change media with it, you can also browse everything else, find subtitles etc. It's just great.

Thank Post
    For OTA TV, live and recorded, I still think it's hard to beat Windows Media Center, despite the fact it's not really being developed further. That's our main machine, with a Chromecast in the other room. The Chromecast is silent, quick and slick, but check it has the services you want (no 4od or itv player for example). You probably get more out of one if you're using an Android phone I think as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast