+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, CCTV use in schools. in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

CCTV use in schools.

I thought this was interesting.

Surveillance and biometric technology has been creeping into schools for quite some time. There are more than 100,000 CCTV cameras installed in secondary schools alone, with a ratio of one camera for every five pupils in some. Scarey or necessary? What are the privacy implications? http://lnkd.in/d2tcAHf

Is it time for compulsory cameras in the classrooms?

Thank Post
    YES YES and YES! A lot of people see it as all this Big Brother is watching you! Rubbish it's you're the one doing something that you shouldn't be, I have no problem with camera's they protect people and provide good hard evidence for the police I'd have them everywhere if I could. I have two in my 1 rear view and 1 dash cam, at least I know if someone kills me during a crash and drives off the police will have their reg.

Thank Post
    I think cctv use everywhere except maybe at home is a mostly good thing - it does depend a bit on what it's used for though. As long as it is only used to enforce laws or protect people from false accusations I think it should be almost everywhere. I'm in the group of people who would use it to enforce all littering and dog fouling laws though which some/most seem to think is a bit too far.

Should be in all cars to help with fault in accidents

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    YES YES and YES! A lot of people see it as all this Big Brother is watching you! Rubbish it's you're the one doing something that you shouldn't be, I have no problem with camera's they protect people and provide good hard evidence for the police I'd have them everywhere if I could. I have two in my 1 rear view and 1 dash cam, at least I know if someone kills me during a crash and drives off the police will have their reg.
    Dashcams are amazing. I don't think you'd ever find a motorcyclist who doesn't either have or want a GoPro/alternative, they should be promoted for motorists way more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am not too bothered by the cameras being there but i am uncomfortable not knowing how that data and footage is managed and by whom.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I think in reason yes but if it's so wonderful why has the UK not got the lowest level of crime in the world, given we have the highest number of cameras per sq mile than any other country?

In school use we've found them useful in that they're brilliant at catching people misbehaving such as the window cleaners that broke a desk and hid it or students pulling power leads out of PCs causing students to lose work but in the big bad world they're useful some of the time but what worries me is that some councils and police authorities seem to think that they're an alternative to actual policing especially given the ever reducing budgets at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I think in reason yes but if it's so wonderful why has the UK not got the lowest level of crime in the world, given we have the highest number of cameras per sq mile than any other country?

In school use we've found them useful in that they're brilliant at catching people misbehaving such as the window cleaners that broke a desk and hid it or students pulling power leads out of PCs causing students to lose work but in the big bad world they're useful some of the time but what worries me is that some councils and police authorities seem to think that they're an alternative to actual policing especially given the ever reducing budgets at the moment.
    In nearly all cases the CCTV isn't there to prevent crime but more to catch the suspects afterwards. It's not going to stop ralph from stealing, if he wants to steal he will steal, but it enables the shop owner to look back through the camera data and get good ol' ralph into the nick.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread