+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interview Blunders in General; So I imagine many have succumbed to blunders in interviews me included, any worthy of the internet?? I once forgot ...
    Thank Post

Interview Blunders

So I imagine many have succumbed to blunders in interviews me included, any worthy of the internet??

I once forgot all my technical knowledge and looked like a buffoon, nope didn't get the job
    Phone went off during interview - yes did get the job

I'm sure these can be topped, if I think of more I'll post...

Thank Post
    HAH! I once told a panel of interviewers that 'I'm not in the habit of applying for jobs I don't want'. To be fair, we'd been messed about a LOT. Basically I was applying for teaching jobs after my PGCE and there were a lot of candidates. We had to teach a lesson to a class so I phoned up to ask them what topics had already been covered and was told they couldn't tell me, so I ended up teaching a lesson about a topic they had already learned which derailed my lesson entirely. Then there was the tour, the pupil panel and lots and lots of sitting about. I'd kind of lost my temper by the end of the day and decided I didn't really want to work for this school anyway. It was after this interview that I cancelled all my other scheduled interviews and decided not to become a teacher.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was once in an interview with a man in a wheelchair. He was explaining that the job entailed working in different buildings and that I may have to walk. I said that's fine, do I get company shoes? We laughed, then I asked if he got company wheels. Luckily he saw the funny side. I came 3rd out of 70 applicants and I was the youngest. Glad I didn't get that job though, I would have been made redundant by now!

Also for my apprenticeship interview at my first job, I spun round on my chair and said, "ooohh look at all the stuff. I might have to steal some. Errr... with your permission of course". Nailed that one and got the post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    HAH! I once told a panel of interviewers that 'I'm not in the habit of applying for jobs I don't want'. To be fair, we'd been messed about a LOT. Basically I was applying for teaching jobs after my PGCE and there were a lot of candidates. We had to teach a lesson to a class so I phoned up to ask them what topics had already been covered and was told they couldn't tell me, so I ended up teaching a lesson about a topic they had already learned which derailed my lesson entirely. Then there was the tour, the pupil panel and lots and lots of sitting about. I'd kind of lost my temper by the end of the day and decided I didn't really want to work for this school anyway. It was after this interview that I cancelled all my other scheduled interviews and decided not to become a teacher.
    lol intriguing.

I'll slightly digress, sounds like a story my brother told me of an old fellow student of his who didn't bother applying to a few universities and only sent off one letter to his one desired university with the words, "I apply" to which they responded in kind with, "We reject"

Thank Post
    knocked a glass of water over.
    Phone went off in interview.
    Got lost on way to interview turned up with minutes to spare.
    Spent six hours for one job waiting to be interviewed after doing all the technical Q & A and tour of the school first thing in the morning and with having a surname with a W my interview was the last. Very nearly walked out thank god i didn't as i got the job!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I was once in an interview with a man in a wheelchair. He was explaining that the job entailed working in different buildings and that I may have to walk. I said that's fine, do I get company shoes? We laughed, then I asked if he got company wheels. Luckily he saw the funny side. I came 3rd out of 70 applicants and I was the youngest. Glad I didn't get that job though, I would have been made redundant by now!

Also for my apprenticeship interview at my first job, I spun round on my chair and said, "ooohh look at all the stuff. I might have to steal some. Errr... with your permission of course". Nailed that one and got the post
    haha, funny. Humor lightens the mood and opens doors. I like the company shoes / wheels

Thank Post
    Had to borrow the ex wifes car who treated it like a skip.

First part of interview was on one site then final interview on another. Was only asked to give a lift to one of the panel

Thank Post
    I got lost on the way to an interview and arrived 35 minutes late. I was latter interviewed by a different company in the building next door and managed to get lost again. This time I was 45 minutes late. Surprizingly, I was offered the job, but I decided the place was just too difficult to get too from where I live and declined.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Addressed the lady conducting my interview as Adrian, and her name? Suzanne.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was asked to remove the hard disk from a computer. In a fit of stupidity and over-enthusiasm, I removed the CD Drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Addressed the lady conducting my interview as Adrian, and her name? Suzanne.
    HAHAHAHA classic.

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I was asked to remove the hard disk from a computer. In a fit of stupidity and over-enthusiasm, I removed the CD Drive.
    Nice. It's still a hard, firm, drive of sorts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    lol.. ummm
    Interview Blunders-t-shirt-close-enough.jpg

Thank Post
    Turned up a day late for an interview...........no excuse just obviously can't read a calendar! ;p
    At another interview, this time on the right day, I told the panel that I wasn't the person they wanted and that they should employ the other candidate as they were more what the panel were looking for! Can still see the look of shock on the interviewers faces lol , I'm nothing if not honest!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by E_G_R2 View Post
    Had to borrow the ex wifes car who treated it like a skip.

First part of interview was on one site then final interview on another. Was only asked to give a lift to one of the panel
    When I worked for Motorola, the MD always walked interviewees back to their cars, claiming he needed some fresh air. He said he learnt more about the person from the chat and the state of the car than he ever did in the interview.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    When I worked for Motorola, the MD always walked interviewees back to their cars, claiming he needed some fresh air. He said he learnt more about the person from the chat and the state of the car than he ever did in the interview.
    Smart guy, interviews are a lot like a stage. Reading in between the lines is wise.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast