+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Interview Blunders in General; Nothing can beat this! Read the video description - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWAvHnfJsOQ His face at the begging says it all!...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing can beat this! Read the video description - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWAvHnfJsOQ

His face at the begging says it all!
    Last edited by FN-GM; 19th June 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Turned up a day late for an interview...........no excuse just obviously can't read a calendar! ;p
    At another interview, this time on the right day, I told the panel that I wasn't the person they wanted and that they should employ the other candidate as they were more what the panel were looking for! Can still see the look of shock on the interviewers faces lol , I'm nothing if not honest!
    muahahah seriously, were you like... hey where's the interview at?? blasted people keeping me waiting :P

Honestly is the best policy ... I'm sure people have said worse

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Nothing can beat this! Read the video description - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWAvHnfJsOQ

His face at the begging says it all!
    hahahaha give that guy a cookie, he gave it his best and his reaction is class, he tried and it probably wouldn't have come to light.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I was asked to remove the hard disk from a computer. In a fit of stupidity and over-enthusiasm, I removed the CD Drive.
    I've done that during an exam! I hadn't slept the night before...

I was told I absolutely nailed my one job interview, but I did fall down the stairs while being shown round on my first day and looked a total prat.

At this college interview thing for an award I won that they were filming, they asked me to take some parts out of a computer for the camera. The guy conducting it didn't know the names of the parts so I was really confused when he asked me to take out the hard drive (he meant the power supply) and literally got stuck trying to unplug a molex cable that was jammed in there really tight! On film, for about five minutes...
    The film was shown at an awards ceremony (sounds posher than it was) and they cut most of it except my "MOVE YA BA***RD" face when tugging on the cable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't know if I've done anything stupid during an interview, but I have interviewed some others who dropped some clangers during the interview.

One guy only ever gave 1 word answers to questions. No matter how I tried to coax him to provide more detail, it was "yup" or "nope".
    Another guy came in and basically trashed the entire network and everything the school had done, saying "We'd never allow this in a university! I'd rip all this out and replace it with X Y and Z"... Not the best idea.
    One candidate turned up in a tracksuit!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    Turned up an hour early for this job - got it though!

Once said that I could get a good deal on software through mrwITch's company at the time - I got some very sour faces and realised later that they thought I meant an "under the table" dodgy illegal software scam

Thank Post
    I applied for a sales job in a new tile shop when I was younger. Because the store wasn't yet built I had to travel about 10 miles to the nearest store to meet the area manager for my interview. Was really nervous as I usually am when going for an interview but got there on time, found the store easily, parked on the car park, one last check in the mirror and walked in.

No customers in there but a couple of staff chatting at the checkout desk. I walked up to them and said I had come for an interview and they looked at me blankly. It quickly became apparent that they were not expecting me and didn't even know that a job had been advertised but one offered to go and phone head office to see what had happened. As he walked off I turned around to take a look around the store and realised that it was stacked form floor to ceiling with carpets - not a tile in sight. I had actually walked straight into the carpet shop next door to the tile shop but was so worked up that none of this had registered.. The guys there were very polite when I made my excuses and went next door but I bet they wet themselves laughing after I left...

8. 5 Thanks to spadam:

Garacesh (19th June 2014), Griff (19th June 2014), laserblazer (19th June 2014), Novalee (19th June 2014), SiliconAlley_Sam (19th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spadam View Post
    I applied for a sales job in a new tile shop when I was younger. Because the store wasn't yet built I had to travel about 10 miles to the nearest store to meet the area manager for my interview. Was really nervous as I usually am when going for an interview but got there on time, found the store easily, parked on the car park, one last check in the mirror and walked in.

No customers in there but a couple of staff chatting at the checkout desk. I walked up to them and said I had come for an interview and they looked at me blankly. It quickly became apparent that they were not expecting me and didn't even know that a job had been advertised but one offered to go and phone head office to see what had happened. As he walked off I turned around to take a look around the store and realised that it was stacked form floor to ceiling with carpets - not a tile in sight. I had actually walked straight into the carpet shop next door to the tile shop but was so worked up that none of this had registered.. The guys there were very polite when I made my excuses and went next door but I bet they wet themselves laughing after I left...
    Hehehehe.

Asked "So what opportunities are there for career progression in the company? Is there a promotion ladder in place?"

"The job above yours would be my job."

"...Oh."

Didn't get that one because I was "overqualified" as an 18 year old straight out of school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    I interviewed someone who asked "how late can I come in?" and "how soon can I leave after I finish teaching?"

They weren't offered the job.

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Garacesh (19th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Went for a desk job with the police years ago and in the interview they started asking about discrimination. etc and asked me for examples. Feeling clever, I knew they were expecting the 'racism' angle, so I decided to go another way...and started talking about people with one arm carrying trays...I should've just gotten up and left then. I still don't know where that came from, or what I was even talking about?! A case of speaking before thinking. They gave me funny looks and didn't offer me the job...

Thank Post
    I am terrible in interviews, I suffer from an anxiety disorder, and interviews trigger panic attacks.
    While I can usually work though an attack, they do make me scatterbrained.
    They asked me the difference between a Hub and a Switch. I couldn't for the life of me remember. Had to explain that while, of course, I knew the answer, I couldn't recall it at the time other than to say I'd use a switch not a hub :-)

Fortunatly only one other guy turned up for the interview, and he had no experience, so I got the job and proved my worth.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Hehehehe.

Asked "So what opportunities are there for career progression in the company? Is there a promotion ladder in place?"

"The job above yours would be my job."

"...Oh."

Didn't get that one because I was "overqualified" as an 18 year old straight out of school.
    My response would've been: I'm ok with that *cheeky grin*...

*bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do when they come for you* :P

lol overqualified yeah right, that's their go to line nowadays. Of course you may well have been
    Last edited by IT_Ninja; 19th June 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Thank Post
    We were interviewing for Head of Music and when asked what's the best part of teaching music, she replied "Going home at the end of it." She got the job.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't say a blunder but I had a disagreement with the interviewer who 1. told me guys coming from Education IT normally fail in their company, 2. I wasn't good enough to work on 2nd line, 3. I would be expected to close 100 tickets a day on the helpdesk at this point I interjected and asked what type of tickets as I could close 100 password resets in 1 hour but more complex tasks would take longer he said I didn't matter what type of ticket it was its 100 a day or they would he having a 'serious look' at me...I emailed from their car park saying I wouldn't want to work for them

Thank Post
    Once i was talking about cat10e cable some point without realising, luckily at the end the interviewer asked to explain about CAt10e, then only i realised my mistake and appologised.
    Not offered though .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast