+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, FPV Spanky Maiden in General; Hi All, These are the maiden flights of my new FPV frame, SpankyJAB. I had already made 3 different designs ...

Thank Post

Thumbs up FPV Spanky Maiden

Hi All,

These are the maiden flights of my new FPV frame, SpankyJAB.

I had already made 3 different designs of my own 240mm quadcopter but I just could not get the weight down enough to the point of excellent performance.

The video begins with footage from my first ever FPV flight of the Spanky, I did a quick VLOS test and all seemed AOK and the frame seems very stable. I have not done any tuning of PID's or balanced the props at all as I was just too excited about having a fly.

Dartmoor was very windy that day, I found the quad loved going with the wind (down hill) but because it is so light it had troubles flying straight into the wind unless I was at full tilt. After about 5 minutes of flying on the open moor I got bored with no objects around to buzz, so off to my local testing ground to play with the tree's.

Best viewed full screen at 1080p

Thank Post
    A bit late but I managed to get this onto Vimeo...

Thank Post
    So is that your design or off the shelf?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So is that your design or off the shelf?
    I am afraid I have to omit its an off the shelf frame, I built three different designs of mini quad but I just could not get the weight down enough to still have plenty of power, the amount of hours I spent tinkering and testing I thought in the end I will just get something that someone has already ironed out all the problems so I can sit back and have fun.

This is a Spanky Mini FPV frame, the all up flying weight is about 550g, compared to my final design quad of 700g+

Thank Post
    So what tripped your up on your frame weight - design, materials or machining?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So what tripped your up on your frame weight - design, materials or machining?
    I built the three min quads with the same mind set I did with the big quad... "build it to survive or at least minimise repair costs", this mind set does not lend itself to the idea of 'weight saving', the last quad was built to last, all electronics were contain inside the frame, the frame was dialled in and so smooth to fly but SO underpowered due to the weight, momentum was its worst enemy as it just did not have enough punch to counteract a tight turn.

The main parts of the frame were 4 plates, 1x2mm G10, 3x 1.6mm G10 using carbon extruded rod as the arms. If I did it again I would use 1.6mm on the base plate and 1mm for just 2 other plates...

FPV Spanky Maiden-ljqa3yal.jpg

Thank Post
    When you are flying, do you have to maintain eye contact and use complex man logic to work out where you are and need to be, or do you get to see the camera and fly by that? Is it possible to fly by camera or is that still to come?

Id love to use one, but atm its an expensive toy that really cant be justified by her in doors when I already have a car, computer, gadget money pit.

Thank Post
    "Complex man logic" I like it

I am flying this lil'beast via FPV (First Person View), on the quad there are two camera's, one (the footage you are seeing above) is just for recording the flight so I can upload it to Youtube or Vimeo, the other is connected to a 5.8Ghz video transmitter (housed on the quad itself), When I fly the quad I am wearing a pair of video goggles at is getting a realtime live feed from the camera on the quad so that I can fly as if I am inside the quad as the pilot rather than trying to fly it 'Visual Line Of Sight'.

Get yourself a nice cheap and cheerful Hubsan X4, they are under £30 and they fly just like the big quads but at a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the repair cost when (not if) you crash

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Just pulled the trigger on a new frame couldn't afford the same as yours
    H250 ZMR250 250mm Carbon Fiber Mini Quadcopter Multicopter Frame Kit -

Will have to get some new motors too as have the 1440kv on my current quad.

Ben

Thank Post
    @plexer those motors are perfect, they are the bigger brother of the motors I am using at the moment, they were not released when I pulled the trigger on mine (1804's), If I was to get more motors then those are the ones I would get (at least 1806's). They spin up a lot quicker and have more torque.

The top photo shows the 1806 motor compared to the one I use at the moment (1804), you can see the size difference is quite a bit. Excellent choice @plexer

Thank Post
    That frame also looks very good, nice and cheap if you break it, at that price I would suggest you buy two so you have a bag of spares. People say these quads are almost impossible to break due to the materials used but I beg to differ...

Thank Post
    @plexer If you are buying from Banggood you could get these...they are basically the same motor...

DYS BE1806 2300KV Brushless Motor 2-3S for Mini Multicopters -

Or these which I near might have some quality issues...

http://www.banggood.com/EMAX-MT1806-...-p-933931.html

A lot of talk on the forums about the RCX motors are that the bearing arrive dry which has caused a few to overheat in flight...best advice is strip them as soon as you get them and add some high speed bearing oil to them (Rc car thin bearing oil is good)
    Last edited by JAB1a; 7th July 2014 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    @JAB1a ouch lol yeah will have a look at motors when frame gets hear and I may buy another for spares as you say.

Ben

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast