+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 9th Gen Consoles - What should we expect? in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

9th Gen Consoles - What should we expect?

Seeing as it's going to be about 10 years until we see the next generation of consoles I spent some time lying awake in bed last night - due to the heat and hay fever disallowing any kind of meaningful sleep Ė and think that whilst we really cannot second guess the hardware standards for gaming that far ahead we can take a stab at the capabilities of the next gen boxes from Microsoft and Sony Ė Nintendo currently sitting on the irrelevant step. I think that gaming would only be 50% of the capability of what these boxes would deliver.

So far I came up with:

A lot more digital home interactivity: Hopefully things like networked electric metering, home appliance power control and home power\heat management will begin to have some type of standards applied and operating systems will be able to take advantage of these with IP6 being in common use by this time.

External media device control: Devices that are currently standalone items such as radios, media playback devices and TVís will have the ability to be controlled via a third party so you can have your Xbox\PS5 control these via voice commands.
    It would be nice to have these remotely controlled by wireless voice command senders that you can position around your house that then send your voice commands to your system, which in turn controls your media devices. It would not surprise me if Microsoft is already working on a house control OS.

More digital media control: With more and more people shifting to online streaming services the systems would provide the ability to pre-stage online shows or record live TV. I also think that current release on DVD and Blu-Ray would be available to download in a digital format at the same time. You would also be able to pre order movies and have them waiting for you on release day.

An IP telephony exchange: Your home phone as well as certain mobile handsets would tie into your system. If your mobile rang you could pick up the call remotely via the aforementioned wireless senders and the speakers of the devices your systems controls. Obviously the technology would detect where you are when you Ďpick upí and only send audio to the nearest device. Or even allow you to roam around the house whilst speaking.

I donít think that the processing and storage of the next gen systems is going to be a problem as the CPUís in 10 yearsí time would be beasts and itís not unreasonable to say that 2TB of SSD storage would not be bank breaking.
    It would be fair to say that itíll be interesting so see what transpires.
    I just wonder if Nintendo will still be a player?
    What would you like to see?

Thank Post
    errrm.... still rubbish. Computers will still dominate whatever a console can do

Thank Post
    i suspect there wont be a next gen console as such the funcationality will just move to your "digibox" and all the heavy lifting will be done elsewhere so you cant pirate games all you do is effectively rent runtime to use them i suppose a bit like spotify

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    all you do is effectively rent runtime to use them i suppose a bit like spotify
    At which point piracy WILL continue and be far superior to the legit DRM infused version and the entire gaming industry will be die out.

Seriously, what is it with everyone happily giving up their [and my] consumer rights?
    Last edited by X-13; 18th June 2014 at 02:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i suspect there wont be a next gen console as such the funcationality will just move to your "digibox" and all the heavy lifting will be done elsewhere so you cant pirate games all you do is effectively rent runtime to use them i suppose a bit like spotify
    Thats what I'm trying to say. The next gen consoles won't be primerily gaming devices as such. More the electronic brain of a home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If my friend that works for Sky is anything to go by, Sky will be integrated into the next xbox, so if you have gold you can use the xbox as a satellite box (streams everything from the net like the sky app does now)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    so if you have gold you can use the xbox as a satellite box
    So, pay to use something you're paying for?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Honestly?...

I think they'll be here some time around the 2018-2020 time frame, though 2020 seems a bit late. The specs are not good enough for current gen to last 8+ years like the last gen did.

Console gaming will never die Truth is apart from PC's no other convergence tech are willing or able to put as powerful a GPU as consoles do for price and/or power consumption reasons. Even in 5yrs time Sony/MS will be able to put a better GPU in a new console than Apple could put in an iPhone (although iPhone GPU's then might be > console GPU's now).

I don't think enough of the world will be connected with fast enough broadband and even if they were downloading 100Gb+ games will be an ass, so optical drives will still be in fashion.

I think we'd be looking at speed bump versions of this gen. So newer CPU/GPU core, maybe more RAM, definitely larger hard disk - probably SSD. I don't think you'll see more than 8 cores, or more than 12Gb-16Gb Ram. At least not unless 4K TV really takes off in that time frame. The next big leap graphically is real time ray tracing at 1080p60. Although current gen GPU's can do real time software ray tracing, I don't think they can do it that fast.

3D headsets and motion cameras are a passing fad - but I don't think they'll be completely gone and forgotten by then.

That's pretty much it. Console are limited largely by TV technology. Which is why Sony didn't go to the expense of putting a better GPU in the PS4. Until 4K is the de facto standard all we'll see is a speed bump of current tech when the time is right.

Unfortunately Cable/Satellite companies and increasingly Apple/Netflix hold too much sway over digital media for the mythical single convergence device to ever materialise.

I think Steam is going to be a missed opportunity and will flounder. Amazon are looking increasingly the dark horse to watch out for. May be Lenovo are another likely to take pot shots at the console market.

Thank Post
    More fitness features, e-mail and calendar intergration and an alarm clock.

Thank Post
    What about them adding in holographic gaming?

HowStuffWorks "How close are we to holographic gaming?"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    So, pay to use something you're paying for?
    Yes, however the live functions as the online portion such as on demand, and recording shows direct to the console.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Honestly?...

I think they'll be here some time around the 2018-2020 time frame, though 2020 seems a bit late. The specs are not good enough for current gen to last 8+ years like the last gen did.

Console gaming will never die Truth is apart from PC's no other convergence tech are willing or able to put as powerful a GPU as consoles do for price and/or power consumption reasons. Even in 5yrs time Sony/MS will be able to put a better GPU in a new console than Apple could put in an iPhone (although iPhone GPU's then might be > console GPU's now).

I don't think enough of the world will be connected with fast enough broadband and even if they were downloading 100Gb+ games will be an ass, so optical drives will still be in fashion.

I think we'd be looking at speed bump versions of this gen. So newer CPU/GPU core, maybe more RAM, definitely larger hard disk - probably SSD. I don't think you'll see more than 8 cores, or more than 12Gb-16Gb Ram. At least not unless 4K TV really takes off in that time frame. The next big leap graphically is real time ray tracing at 1080p60. Although current gen GPU's can do real time software ray tracing, I don't think they can do it that fast.

3D headsets and motion cameras are a passing fad - but I don't think they'll be completely gone and forgotten by then.

That's pretty much it. Console are limited largely by TV technology. Which is why Sony didn't go to the expense of putting a better GPU in the PS4. Until 4K is the de facto standard all we'll see is a speed bump of current tech when the time is right.

Unfortunately Cable/Satellite companies and increasingly Apple/Netflix hold too much sway over digital media for the mythical single convergence device to ever materialise.

I think Steam is going to be a missed opportunity and will flounder. Amazon are looking increasingly the dark horse to watch out for. May be Lenovo are another likely to take pot shots at the console market.
    I disagree at the time frame you suggested for the launch of next gen consoles. It'll simply be seen as cashing in on the gamers. Especially as many will be waiting until there is a good catalogue of games available before they buy; in the next couple of years I reckon.
    By this time you are saying that they will have 2 more years before the next console is released. I can't see it. Consumers are far too savvy about this kind of behaviour and the manufacturers know it.
    I think they will wait until the tech is in place and release a 'must have' rather than a badly received cash-in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    It'll simply be seen as cashing in on the gamers.
    And the fact they're locking more and more content behind subscriptions and DLC isn't?

As long as it's got the latest CoD I doubt the majority will care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Consumers are far too savvy about this kind of behaviour and the manufacturers know it.
    You sure?

Have you seen the way Xbox/PS4 gamers are justifying locking multiplayer behind a subscription, even after [person] at Microsoft admitted the X360 online was peer-to-peer.
    Last edited by X-13; 18th June 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the console makers have been rather conservative with this generation of consoles - as it makes little sense to produce a device that lasts 8 years for a company trying to make money from that hardware. Especially when technology is improving at such a rapid pace as to make the technology obsolete within a year.

So, my guess is that they'll release a new console sooner than they did with with this generation. Probably around 6 years.

However, that said, I think the shift will be towards centralised processing - games will be streamed to the end user on any device they want to. So, it might be that companies like Microsoft and Sony start developing platforms (and controllers to go with them) which get integrated into other manufacturer's devices such as TVs, phones, and the like.

Valve have put a lot of effort into their game streaming technology (as have other companies), and their console appears to be under constant delay - it may be that they hold off on release and simply release a "remote streaming" service instead. Its what I'd do if I were Valve.

Thank Post
    I'll be happy if they run emulators

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast