+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, 9th Gen Consoles - What should we expect? in General; Originally Posted by Dos_Box I disagree at the time frame you suggested for the launch of next gen consoles. It'll ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I disagree at the time frame you suggested for the launch of next gen consoles. It'll simply be seen as cashing in on the gamers. Especially as many will be waiting until there is a good catalogue of games available before they buy; in the next couple of years I reckon.
    By this time you are saying that they will have 2 more years before the next console is released. I can't see it. Consumers are far too savvy about this kind of behaviour and the manufacturers know it.
    I think they will wait until the tech is in place and release a 'must have' rather than a badly received cash-in.
    Look at previous generations. Even the humble 2600 was only ever designed with a 3yr life cycle (it lasted much longer for various reasons, not all of them good).

The last gen was an oddity and by the end the console market was in decline because after 8yrs it was hardware saturated with out of date tech. The specs of the current gen just aren't up to that level of longevity.

Bringing out updated specs sooner doesn't mean dropping older consoles. Sony have a very good record of supporting their consoles for around 10 years. So yes the PS4 might still be available in 10 years time with new games being developed (just like PS1, PS2 and now PS3 will). But PS5 will hit the shelves sooner rather than later - IMHO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klingklang View Post
    I'll be happy if they run emulators
    Wii U sort of does.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just look at what PCs are doing and apply I to consoles a generation later. :P

- No seriously, I think home control won't take off yet but we will see a move away from disks as they attempt take 2 at digital format only. Everything is shifting to that already. I also predict Steam and/or Origin may find it's way on to a console. A big distribution platform like those two won't go ignored as whoever ends up the minnow looks towards them to be able to compete. Remember, Steam already exists in limited form on PS3 and Nintendo nearly tied a deal to use Origin instead of their current store. What's left of the high street will be download codes or some sort of Read Only SD-Card if technology becomes cheap enough and DVD capacity becomes insufficient.

- With more controllers finding their way on the PC as it slowly shifts towards the living room, we might see cross-platform play with PC/Console if someone is willing to try. Valve's SteamOS controller will make waves even if SteamOS flops.

- DLC plague will get worse.

- PC gamers will continue a shift from Windows to Linux. It will still not be dominant without support from EA however and Windows will remain king.

- Voice control will become the norm. Kinect style systems will be integrated along with the likes of Siri and Cortana (Cortana on MS Platforms will be very likely).

- Nintendo will still be around, they have too much in financial reserves to fail this gen. The next Nintendo platform will fare better as they learn lessons from the current one and Iwata gets replaced. Japanese corporate superiority complex will still prevail though and cause frictions. They will likely be involved in medical applications for their technology too and could begin to depart from gaming to other technology sectors.

- Cloud computing will improve and become more common place. Always online will become even more common as Internet connections get faster and cheaper. It will also have more impact on mobile gaming as 4G connections (probably 6G by then) get better and signal coverage vastly improves.

- And last but not least...my most controversial. Google and/or Amazon will release a console of their own with a strong Internet focus and a scary amount of selling power to start worrying and possibly begin crippling competition.

Thank Post
    Heavier VR integration. The tech will work with current gen consoles - but not sure they'll have the power to do it justice (considering how they're struggling already). Possible VR bundles at launch, some gimicky games, then the VR goodness from the PC will start to trickle down. That's my prediction anyway.

Thank Post
    One of the main features will no doubt be media centre type capability - it's already kind of gone that way with the 360/PS3 & X-ONE/PS4.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as discussed, they didn't attempt to put some sort of online DRM gaming thing in there to TRY and stop piracy, before failing miserably and having to patch and it to remove it.
    Last edited by gtg93; 18th June 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I agree more central processing and streaming like steam streaming and nvidia shield. Probably apps for next gen tablets to stream/gaming to also being able to stream directly to smart tvs, I'm sure were have to put up with multi different network stream standards (aka VHS / Betamax all over again).

hopefully things like oculus rift / vr glasses will be combined with the new streaming technology, not sure it will happen for a few console generations tho.

I think we'll also see a emergence of newer 3d tech like real time raytracing, voxel and the move towards photorealistic 3d environments.

I also think were see more squeeze from the communication companies on the content providers, which is starting to bubble big time in USA.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd101 View Post
    I agree more central processing and streaming like steam streaming and nvidia shield.
    Streaming is an interesting one. Witch's discussion on Terminal Server video editing is kind of relevant here. Cost of central GPU power vs distributed? Don't forget the PS Now is limited to 720p30. Not sure what OnLives display runs at. And you need to scale it up to millions of active users world wide. And factor in the probable rise of 4K.

hopefully things like oculus rift / vr glasses will be combined with the new streaming technology, not sure it will happen for a few console generations tho.
    VR headsets have certain fundamental limitations that will stop them from becoming main stream. 3D TV's would have taken off better if wearing glasses wasn't an issue. There's an old joke about a mother walking in on a son in the middle of a 'personal activity' that highlights the problem - but its NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    - And last but not least...my most controversial. Google and/or Amazon will release a console of their own with a strong Internet focus and a scary amount of selling power to start worrying and possibly begin crippling competition.
    I'm surprised Apple haven't made greater leverage out of AppleTV to be honest. Can't see Amazon making that mistake. Hell, they bundle a controller with FireTV!
    Last edited by tmcd35; 18th June 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Thank Post
    You guys do realise that at the end of the day, Sony/Microsoft make very little from actual hardware sales, right? (At times taking a huge loss per machine sold). Most of the income is from selling games, (I believe they take a 20-25% cut as a hardware vender). It's one of the same reasons why Sony stopped allowing linux to be installed on the old PS3, you had people using them as home computers or buying thousands for a server cluster.
    This is the reason why I can see them keeping onto the current generation for a decent chunk of time. As the hardware gets older, all the various components drop in price to make and as such the machines themselves get cheaper and cheaper.

Microsoft pockets a HUGE '$28' on an Xbox One: But NOT REALLY

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12