+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Budget...how do I do it? in General; Originally Posted by ronanian Yikes! In my last job we had lots of Clariion units, and they were nice...but I ...
    Thank Post

Re: Budget...how do I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by ronanian
    Yikes! In my last job we had lots of Clariion units, and they were nice...but I don't think I can use that many digits in my budget! 8O

We've got an aggressive growth plan here, and in just a few years I might be able to ask for that kind of money for a data backup system. By then I'll probably wish I had tried now...
    Fair enough, the figures i mentioned for the backup can be reduced quite considerably simply by going with cheap backup software like Backup Exec. and if you forgo virtual tape....

But I defnitely would not skimp with the SAN storage. going down the iSCSI route is one way to reduce cost...the other way is to start off with a few hundred gigs of storage instead of TB's. With a largish initial outlay you can predict that spend in forthcoming years will be lower as the most expensive parts have already been purchased i.e controllers, mgmt software. In later years you'll just be increasing capacity via additional storage shelves...a lot cheaper.

And in the unlikely event that you do have to go for a complete forklift upgrade three years from now you can sock it to the vendor by insisting they give you a significant discount on the newer model or you'll trade in what you've got with one of they're rivals.

One of the arts of budget planning is forecasting. Vendors have an annoying habit of providing a speed bump or whizz bang new features a few months after you've smaked down a wad of cash, but that is why what you buy should be backed up by research, inside info from suppliers on future product direction and include an element of future proofing - i.e can it be upgraded via simple firmware or inexpensive modular blades ?

One of the problems with the cheap and cheerful stuff is that it just won't scale...so while it's great for you're current requirements and you don't predict huge growth in the next 12-18 months fine, however if you're college expands or merges you'll be lumbered with something that's nothing more than an expensive bit of direct attached storage.

Similarly with a tape library, if you're backup requirements increase drastically and you're library can't accomadate an additional drive or 2 then you're CIO may not be too pleased with you're request for the additional cash for another bit of kit to solve a problem you both thought you'd dealt with 12 months ago. Hypothetically speaking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    a clariion would be one of the better options for a FC/iscsi based array and the entry level clariion will start at around $40000 not including the price of 2TB worth of SATA storage.
    Is that true? I always thought EMC SANs would be very expensive with them being one of the big names in storage, but I see prices like:

http://www.zomp.net/shop/product_inf...ucts_id=390982

(2k for an iSCSI clariion which will hold up to 6TB of SATA disks.)

Presumably I'm missing something!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    Is that true? I always thought EMC SANs would be very expensive with them being one of the big names in storage, but I see prices like:

http://www.zomp.net/shop/product_inf...ucts_id=390982

(2k for an iSCSI clariion which will hold up to 6TB of SATA disks.)

Presumably I'm missing something!
    The proper clariions start with the CX3 which can do FC and iSCSI and start from 20,000+ bracket for 2TB of storage rising to considerably more for additional shelves, the AX150 is strictly a SMB product similar to NetApps storevault.....hence the low price.

One or two people on here have the older clarion CX 300 models which are still available and start in the 10,000+ bracket but they are 'only' 2gbps FC and don't do multiprotocol.

Don't be fooled by the low prices of the AX150, Storevault and Xserve RAID..the XRAID and the Storevault products are great in their own right as 'My First SAN' boxes but they don't scale and belong in a different tier to.

The prices for the clariions will vary depending on what you can negotiate with EMC or Dell...but the EMC boxes are probably the second most expensive out of the major FC and iSCSI SAN vendors which include HDS, NetApp, IBM, HP and SUN when it comes to 'entry-level'. Again prices are negotiable with resellers.

BTW HP's scalable fiber channel storage doesn't start with the MSA range as a lot of people think- the MSA is the cheap and cheerful kit. IF you're serious about a SAN and you have fairly deep pockets look no further than the EVA range and the EVA 4000 as entry-level.
    Last edited by torledo; 11th January 2008 at 02:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12