+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Yet another "help me spec a new PC" topic in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    8 core AMD isn't as impressive as it sounds, it's the equivalent of a Core i7's 4 HyperThreaded cores except done in hardware - some parts are duplicated, others aren't... it's all a bit complicated and daft and didn't work as well as AMD were hoping. It's basically a quad core with spangles on.

<snip>
    Witcher 3 will want a beefy GPU though. I mean, it'll run on less - the Witcher 2 did - but going by #2's graphics, you are going to want it turned up as far as possible. So many pretties. Something like the R9 280X is massively powerful at £220: Asus R9 280X DirectCU II 3GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI.. | Ebuyer.com (the non-X is only about £25 cheaper). For a gaming PC, put all the money into the GPU, it's still the biggest bottleneck. The nVidia 760 is a bit cheaper at £160: Zotac GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort.. | Ebuyer.com

Crucial MX100 is a good SSD. Make sure you get a proper PSU - Antec or Corsair or something - if you can find a review at jonnyguru.com then trust in what he says. Friends don't let friends buy cheap PSUs.
    Thanks for that. Was planning on upgrading the GFX card (and possibly PSU) at a later date, as the existing ones are fine for now. I've added those to cards to my wishlist as they'll probably be a lot cheaper when I actually need them!

Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    You never know, they may surprise you
    Like they surprised you ? I'm not sure my heart could take it! Seriously, I will see if I can find time to get in contact with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    +1 Buy an Intel CPU/Mobo and don't be swayed by the number of cores unless you have a very specific reason for getting the AMD one.
    What would the "specific reasons" be? Just curious!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    What would the "specific reasons" be? Just curious!
    If you had a multi-threaded app that was able to use all the cores I guess it could improve performance beyond some of the quad core intel processors.

AnandTech Portal | The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested

The video encoding test benchmark above is a good example where the additional cores are beneficial. The thing that puts me off AMD is that the instances where it leads it's only slightly quicker whereas there are quite a few benchmarks where the AMD is much slower. Also that benchmark is comparing it against the previous gen intel CPU's.

If it were my build I'd find an extra £30 and get an Intel i5 4670 (£160-ish) instead but I'm sure someone will be along in a second to disagree with me

Oddly I also used to have a Thermaltake Tsunami case but I personally found that it was a bit lacking in ventilation and interior space once you start fitting longer video cards and multiple HDD's. Might be OK depending on what components you're putting inside it though? Currently I'm using a Coolermaster HAF922 which I really like and is fantastic for ventilation and has plenty of room inside but it is quite big. If I build another PC in future I'm gonna try and shrink down to something like a Bitfenix Prodigy or similar.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 17th June 2014 at 08:26 PM.

4. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

LeMarchand (18th June 2014)

Thank Post
    If you had a multi-threaded app that was able to use all the cores I guess it could improve performance beyond some of the quad core intel processors.

AnandTech Portal | The Vishera Review: AMD FX-8350, FX-8320, FX-6300 and FX-4300 Tested

The video encoding test benchmark above is a good example where the additional cores are beneficial. The thing that puts me off AMD is that the instances where it leads it's only slightly quicker whereas there are quite a few benchmarks where the AMD is much slower. Also that benchmark is comparing it against the previous gen intel CPU's.

If it were my build I'd find an extra £30 and get an Intel i5 4670 (£160-ish) instead but I'm sure someone will be along in a second to disagree with me
    I won't wholly disagree with you, but I do occasionally find reviews where the reviewer is biased towards Intel and put AMD's chips in an unfavourable light. And since the XBOX One & PS4 both use variants of AMD's APU chips, surely they can't be that bad.

You may have guessed that I'm a bit of an AMD fan (not a fanboy as I still like using Intel's chips too) and that when I've purchased AMD chips before, I've never regretted any of my purchases to the point of "oh, I wish I'd bought an i5 (or i7) instead of this AMD chip". Point is, I'd happily go back and purchase another later on.

I do agree that 8 cores seems a bit pointless unless you have some pressing need for them, and that most Quad core AMD or Intel chips would probably suffice.

6. Thanks to Shielder from:

LeMarchand (18th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Currently I'm using a Coolermaster HAF922 which I really like and is fantastic for ventilation and has plenty of room inside but it is quite big. If I build another PC in future I'm gonna try and shrink down to something like a Bitfenix Prodigy or similar.
    I like the Coolermaster, but it's a bit out of my price range. The Prodigy is quite cute (I think Mme LeMarchand would approve), but might be a bit like the girl in "Ruby Sparks": initially appealing, but a bit annoying after a while. Great if you want to lug it around, though. (the case, not the girl from "Ruby Sparks").

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12