+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Use of personal devices on school network in General; My apologies if this has already been posted and answered elsewhere on here. I trawled the forums and struggled to ...

Thank Post

Use of personal devices on school network

My apologies if this has already been posted and answered elsewhere on here. I trawled the forums and struggled to find anything. Essentially, more and more staff are wanting to use their personal devices on the school network. It stands to reason that if tablets and phones can connect to a filtered wireless connection, so could laptops. This then leads to staff being able to type in a file path to their network documents, bringing about a potential risk. Should I be less worried about IOS devices and more concerned about Android/others?

What do others do about foreign devices on their networks? Has anyone set up a Sophos UTM? Perhaps we should be looking at a VDI solution? (Sounds expensive.)

Also, school email access on personal phones, iPads? Seems a bit of a data protection risk if the device can't be wiped if lost, stolen or sold on? Or am I over thinking this?

Sorry if all of this seems really simple. I'd appreciate responses.

Thank Post
    We allow personal devices but they are fully audited for firewall / AV / etc before being allowed on the network. No one but IT know the encryption key.

We also get staff to sign a disclaimer waiving any damage to the device and they are held accountable for any network breaches via their device.

3. Thanks to fairm010 from:

kerryturner (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I dont allow it.

Purely because they get given a laptop for School work

5. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

kerryturner (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Much appreciated! This sounds like a simple solution. I found another thread about this - once I'd posted this and the AUP seems to be important too. It was the emails on phones thing which had me worried.

Thank Post
    Fair point! Thank you. I think its more the phones/iPads which I'm concerned about. We also have assistants who are often in on a short turn around and they aren't issued with laptops.

Thank Post
    We offer RDS / HAP+ so that even those without school hardware can work remotely. We allow school email on phones ONLY if they consent to having the Meraki app installed so that in the event of loss we can wipe.

9. Thanks to fairm010 from:

speckytecky (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fairm010 View Post
    We offer RDS / HAP+ so that even those without school hardware can work remotely. We allow school email on phones ONLY if they consent to having the Meraki app installed so that in the event of loss we can wipe.
    Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryturner View Post
    My apologies if this has already been posted and answered elsewhere on here. I trawled the forums and struggled to find anything. Essentially, more and more staff are wanting to use their personal devices on the school network. It stands to reason that if tablets and phones can connect to a filtered wireless connection, so could laptops. This then leads to staff being able to type in a file path to their network documents, bringing about a potential risk. Should I be less worried about IOS devices and more concerned about Android/others?

What do others do about foreign devices on their networks? Has anyone set up a Sophos UTM? Perhaps we should be looking at a VDI solution? (Sounds expensive.)

Also, school email access on personal phones, iPads? Seems a bit of a data protection risk if the device can't be wiped if lost, stolen or sold on? Or am I over thinking this?

Sorry if all of this seems really simple. I'd appreciate responses.
    The technical term is Bring Your own Device or BYOD as it's more commonly known. If you search for that you will find a lot more topics on this especially in the Wireless and Netbooks, PDA and Phones forum.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The technical term is Bring Your own Device or BYOD as it's more commonly known. If you search for that you will find a lot more topics on this especially in the Wireless and Netbooks, PDA and Phones forum.
    Thanks. Will look - had always thought BYOD referred to student devices not staff, but it makes sense to look there too.

Thank Post
    Staff are allowed to put their own devices on using the BYOD network. It gives filtered access to the Internet as well as any apps that they have installed. If they decide to pick up their email from the Exchange server then they are required to put a pin lock on their device. It's mainly tablets and phones, very few bring laptops in as all staff are issued with a school laptop.

Thank Post
    We allow personal devices on the wifi but apply a load of ACL's so they can only get to the internet on port 80 and 443. They also have to authenticate against our proxy!

Thank Post
    Hi @kerryturner.

You're asking all the right questions. Some can be answered using technology, other risks mitigated through policy. Some risks will remain but might be outweighed by advantages.

If you are going to put BYOD devices on your network you are best off separating these devices from your normal network. Your smoothwall can definitely help here, but you'll need to consider the capabilities of your switches and your wireless network here too. Generally I'd advise putting these devices in another VLAN. Adding a suitable access list to the vlan will help keep these devices from accessing your server too.

If you're worried about your server security though, this is something you need to look into anyway... If a teacher brought in their laptop now and unplugged their classroom PC, they'd potentially have the same network access and administrator rights on their machine. In places where this happens regularly, a well managed BYOD scheme can help improve security!

Some schools have gone down the VDI route - I think it depends on what you want your users to access and where the curriculum is heading. Much of our curriculum is heading towards web technology. We're trying to be device agnostic in our BYOD scheme, so everything can be served through the browser. It's cheaper generally too!

School email on phones/tablets should really be covered under policies. I think it would be obstructive to disallow it, but you should be putting safeguards in place - devices must be pin protected, loss must be reported etc. You could put a restriction on how much mail can be cached, to reduce the data loss risk.

A further note I'd add is around your core infrastructure and your internet connection. Is it up to the job of another 30-50-100-1000 devices jumping on it?

I've blogged a bit about BYOD on my site. Feel free to have a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Hi @kerryturner.

I've blogged a bit about BYOD on my site. Feel free to have a look.
    Thanks for all of these replies. IrritableTech - I follow you on twitter, so I'll take another look at your blog. (@4goggas)

Thank Post
    separate wireless network on VLan with no route to the main network, IP provided by firewall. Every device registered for MAC filtering, horrifically complex 26 digit hex key jealously guarded..

Thank Post
    If you're thinking about allowing staff laptops etc onto your network - have a think about: Network Policy and Access Services

You can then look at making sure that stuff connected to your network has at least working anti-virus, firewalls and a minimum windows update level etc.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 13th June 2014 at 12:22 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast