+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, TV Advice in General; My only comment with the Samsung models (this may be a couple of generations back now) is that the sound ...

Thank Post
    My only comment with the Samsung models (this may be a couple of generations back now) is that the sound quality and volume is awful compared to other decent brands. Great screens though. We have a mix of LG, Sony and Panasonic units of 40" + here, they're great TVs.

Thank Post
    I don't use the smart apps on my tv anymore. I have an LG but now I have a chromecast and my sky box has Iplayer, ITV player etc.. I don't use it. I find the slow too and the only app of any use was the iplayer. After about 6 months of buying it no apps were updated on the tv anymore.

Thank Post
    I'll probably be looking to get a new TV in the coming months. Does anyone do TV's that aren't 'smart' anymore?

Truth be told I don't give a monkey's about having on-demand playback on my TV. Realistically I don't even want it connected to my network/the internet given the stream of security flaws cropping up. I just don't trust them.

So really all I'd want would be a 30-34" tv, preferably with Freeview built in. Everything else can do one.

Thank Post
    I bought an LG 42LN575V last summer from Argos for £450 at the time. 1080p Smart TV, built in freeview HD, built-in wireless so you're not forced to use ethernet to utilise smart/internet features and as far as I'm concerned the picture quality is beautiful and for built-in speakers they're not too bad a very good TV all in all and software/firmware updates are active and available with ease, I imagine there are newer models out now though. I'd recommend LG any day!
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 12th June 2014 at 04:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For a non smart TV, I recommend this: 50PN650T FULL HD PLASMA TV WITH FREEVIEW HD AND 600HZ | RLR Distribution Ltd can't comment on sound quality as I've got a sound bar, but the image quality is lovely and it's 50" for under £500.

Thank Post
    I'd echo the smart tv comments - bought a Phillips about a year ago. Great pic, dreadful smart tv software. The updates seem to have stopped too. I bought a roku.

Thank Post
    I have a Samsung 6000 series purchased a few years back. I cant fault the Picture, it is fantastic. everyone who has been to my place has commented on it. A couple of peeps have bought Samsung after seeing mine. We use the Smart Apps all the time. Works fine for us, no speed issues. Only downside is when trying to use Youtube App. Using the remote to type is not the quickest way to do things! You can get a Samsung keyboard but I didn't think it was worth the money. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I can screen mirror to the tv so any videos, photos I take on the phone I can show on the TV.
    I agree the sound is not the best but then I do have a 300W Surround Sound system which complements the TV nicely.

Thank Post
    My 1080p Sony Bravia 40" TV has been going strong now for 6 years never had a fault with it! I wouldn't buy any other Television unless it had Sony written on the front! Although they aren't normally the cheapest they last years and are always high quality and well made, my mum has a Samsung TV over the past 4 years it's failed on her twice and she's had to get it replaced it's newer than mine but those stupid touch buttons really is the weak spots.

I always run a HTPC never bothered with Smart TV's I would personally go for a thin bezel, 1080p or 4k TV depending on what I could afford, smart design, sony for reliability, 3D (even though a bit of a gimmick) and a small computer running XBMC and DVBViewer for live satellite television, find a code for sky channels and you have free Sky and DVBViewer will broadcast to all clients on your network including the HTPC so you can watch live TV anywhere!

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lphaup View Post
    Hi, looking to get a new TV, around the 40" size, but wanting to do some research first so does anyone have any recommendations of make/model and where to get it?Many thanks,Lewis
    Get it from Richer Sounds. Their customer service is second to none, prices are keen and they'll match/beat any genuine competitor. They do free 5 year warranty too.
    For £350 you won't get better than this:
    Panasonic VIERA TX42A400B | 42 inch LED TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

If you really want a Smart TV, the Sony user interface seems to be the easiest to use and most recommended, but you'll pay quite a bit more:
    Sony BRAVIA KDL42W705B Black | 42 inch LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

If you want more specific advice for your needs, please let us know what you intend to connect to the TV, e.g. console, Blu ray, Sky, VirginMedia...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are considering TVs for commercial use rather than in the home, then you should give the Sharp units a hard look. AFAIK, Sharp are the only company that still fully manufactures their own TVs, at least the mid to high end units anyway. This means quality control is in house and parts are usually available to repair them for many, many years. If they are installed in schools, Sharp even honours the 3 year warranty on consumer units. That's not something the other manufacturers will often do. The Sharp units also often have RS232 even in the consumer-grade models.

If the TV is for the home, then I favour the better models from Samsung and Panasonic.

Thank Post
    Honestly, I'd go LG all the way. We have an LG in the lounge and it outlasted my sister's Samsung twice over. We also have an LG soundbar to go with it.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Must admit I got a cheap LG 46" a few months back and its been excellent. Only cost £400 because I didnt need any of that smart tv rubbish (use xbmc).

Its much better than my old Samsung anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LG had the best filetype support when I was buying my last one but the colour reproduction was no where near as good as the Samsung or the sony, The sony had rubbish filetype support and all sorts of random restrictions which is probably why they were so much cheaper so they could move the things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a dumb 32" LG TV which I'm happy enough with. However, I'm not sure I'd ever buy one of their smart TVs and connect it to a network connection because they have a horrible habit of phoning home your viewing habits even when you expressly tell them not to

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I've got a dumb 32" LG TV which I'm happy enough with. However, I'm not sure I'd ever buy one of their smart TVs and connect it to a network connection because they have a horrible habit of phoning home your viewing habits even when you expressly tell them not to
    Quote from a comment at the bottom of that article:
    I miss the good old days of "If you aren't paying for a product, you are the product." Now, the new paradigm is: "By using our stuff, we own your data. All of it."
    Couldn't agree more (Also this article highlights many reasons why I wouldn't plug a TV onto my network).
    I don't want a TV that can download programs from the internet, I have a laptop and a HDMI cable which provides me with a metric butt-tonne more security. I don't want a TV with a microphone and a camera, because I have a webcam on my PC for that, or my tablet if I want to move around. I don't want a TV that can analyse what I watch and recommend me things I might like advertisements studios have paid for. I don't want a TV that can stream media from my PC. I don't want a TV with a web browser.

I don't I just want a TV. Just a regular TV. That picks up broadcasted signals. If you want to be nice, give me a built-in DVD player, HDMI/DVI ports, maybe Composite/YPbPr. If you wanna be real fancy, give me a USB port for portable media and a SCART for older consoles nobody uses anymore. Don't insist I plug my TV into the internet. Don't try and siphon off my viewing habits. Don't try and thrust gimmicky additions upon me.

*sigh*
    Last edited by Garacesh; 16th June 2014 at 04:15 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast