+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
General Chat Thread, Ancestry DNA Testing Kits - Anyone Used Them? in General; ...
  1. #1

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,440
    Thank Post
    701
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    678

    Ancestry DNA Testing Kits - Anyone Used Them?

    I'm just getting a few ideas for unusual pressies together and wondered if anyone had any experiance of them?
    Basically, they do is test to see what percentage of your DNA is european, asian, african etc. and sounds like something that is both unusual and informative for a gift.
    They are about £100 but would be money well spent I think.

  2. #2
    LincolnK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alcester
    Posts
    109
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. The might be alright, but I've heard many a horror story about these Ancestry sites and the like being scams to make money.

  3. #3

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,138
    Thank Post
    65
    Thanked 424 Times in 319 Posts
    Rep Power
    169
    I bought my wife one for her b'day. From National Geographic, and your sample gets integrated into the research project. Waiting now for the final checking so don't know what you get back in detail.

    I want to know where her oddly "webbed" feet come from.

  4. #4

    Danp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 170 Times in 150 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Might buy one for my dad for fathers day, could raise some eyebrows....

  5. #5

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    I bought my wife one for her b'day. From National Geographic, and your sample gets integrated into the research project. Waiting now for the final checking so don't know what you get back in detail.

    I want to know where her oddly "webbed" feet come from.
    That'll be the Norfolk in her.

    Ben

  6. Thanks to plexer from:

    featured_spectre (12th June 2014)

  7. #6
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Really interesting idea!

  8. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,805
    Thank Post
    262
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Rep Power
    846

  9. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

    Dos_Box (12th June 2014), zag (12th June 2014)

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    154
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Might buy one for my dad for fathers day, could raise some eyebrows....
    I was thinking - buying these as gifts could cause a few awkward moments....

  11. #9
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Always joked with one of my friends that she probably belongs to the postman because she looks so little like her folks and her siblings. Hmmmmm.

  12. #10

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra427col View Post
    I was thinking - buying these as gifts could cause a few awkward moments....
    It's not a paternity test so no reason it should do.

    Ben

  13. #11

    AMLightfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    2,253
    Thank Post
    427
    Thanked 671 Times in 417 Posts
    Rep Power
    273
    I'm not sure they're really a 'gift' as they're more aimed at determining whether or not you might develop cancer or something. I wouldn't want to know tbh. I'd rather live my life and take each condition and problem as it comes. A 25% chance of developing late onset Alzheimers is still a 75% chance of NOT and this might be affected by whether or not you live long enough or whether your 0.2% increased chance of developing pancreatic cancer might get in first to finish you off. Sounds a bit Daily Fail-ish to me but to each their own and all that. I wouldn't want to get one as a gift though.

  14. #12

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,220
    Thank Post
    1,925
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Rep Power
    842
    My husband did one a few years back. It traced his roots back Bosnia Herzegovina, but the closest relations on the database at the time were in the states and were connected many, many generations back.

  15. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    679
    Thank Post
    264
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I'm not sure they're really a 'gift' as they're more aimed at determining whether or not you might develop cancer or something. I wouldn't want to know tbh. I'd rather live my life and take each condition and problem as it comes. A 25% chance of developing late onset Alzheimers is still a 75% chance of NOT and this might be affected by whether or not you live long enough or whether your 0.2% increased chance of developing pancreatic cancer might get in first to finish you off. Sounds a bit Daily Fail-ish to me but to each their own and all that. I wouldn't want to get one as a gift though.
    Depends on what tests you're buying, I think the ones being discussed are more aimed at unpicking which bits of your dna come from which bit of the world. It's more a genetic heritage test than a diagnostic test.

  16. #14

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,220
    Thank Post
    1,925
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Rep Power
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Depends on what tests you're buying, I think the ones being discussed are more aimed at unpicking which bits of your dna come from which bit of the world. It's more a genetic heritage test than a diagnostic test.
    That's the kind that I was thinking of

  17. #15

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,440
    Thank Post
    701
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    That's the kind that I was thinking of
    Yup, I did say on my first post that it was to trace ancestry, not the very expensive, circa £1000, genetics testing you can have done to check your chances of developing a whole range of unfortunate ailments.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Xerox Phaser 6110 - Anyone using them?
    By OutToLunch in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th June 2011, 10:15 AM
  2. Chip PCs - anyone using them?
    By TheCrust in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th September 2009, 05:50 PM
  3. Proactive Learning - Anyone Used Them?
    By SYSMAN_MK in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th September 2008, 11:09 AM
  4. Boston Networks? Anyone used them?
    By contink in forum Recommended Suppliers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd December 2007, 04:05 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th November 2007, 04:28 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •