+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Ancestry DNA Testing Kits - Anyone Used Them? in General; Hold the phone! Results back yesterday. Results pretty unexciting. Obviously, as a woman, no paternal information, but her mother's side ...

Thank Post
    Hold the phone! Results back yesterday.

Results pretty unexciting. Obviously, as a woman, no paternal information, but her mother's side spread through the near east, and Europe in what might be called the classic route. 2.2% Neanderthal might explain the feet...

The results are presented as a web site with lots of information, but it would be nice to have had some printable pages too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Depends on what tests you're buying, I think the ones being discussed are more aimed at unpicking which bits of your dna come from which bit of the world. It's more a genetic heritage test than a diagnostic test.
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    That's the kind that I was thinking of
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Yup, I did say on my first post that it was to trace ancestry, not the very expensive, circa £1000, genetics testing you can have done to check your chances of developing a whole range of unfortunate ailments.
    Yeah I read back and saw that, although genetic tests generally done with only a saliva sample aren't exactly accurate given the bacteria, food etc that is in our mouths at any given time. A pinprick blood sample might be more accurate perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Hold the phone! Results back yesterday.

Results pretty unexciting. Obviously, as a woman, no paternal information, but her mother's side spread through the near east, and Europe in what might be called the classic route. 2.2% Neanderthal might explain the feet...

The results are presented as a web site with lots of information, but it would be nice to have had some printable pages too.
    Go back far enough and we ALL come from Africa and we ALL have 'bits' of other human species in us. Not sure it's exactly revolutionary. Personally I'm far more interested in tracing the actual people in my history. I'd love to trace my lineage back to the 15th and 16th centuries and see what my ancestors were doing during the reign of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12