+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
General Chat Thread, Warp Capable Ship Concept in General; Looks like the space boffins are cooking up more cool ideas. This is NASA's new concept spaceship for warp drive ...
  1. #1
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,286
    Thank Post
    868
    Thanked 395 Times in 305 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    288

    Warp Capable Ship Concept

    Looks like the space boffins are cooking up more cool ideas.

    This is NASA's new concept spaceship for warp drive interstellar travel

    Effective velocity of 0 also means no need for inertial dampeners to stop the crew getting turned into paste or a deflector dish to push debris out the way so it doesn't turn the ship into a wreck. Technically, it beats the Star Trek concepts (if it ever gets made).

  2. #2

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,239
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    Looks cool, they just need to overcome the minor obstacle of finding out if their theory actually works in the real world and build a power source powerful enough to run it. Lucky MIT cooked the funding so fusion research could continue despite budget cuts.

  3. #3

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,110
    Thank Post
    379
    Thanked 389 Times in 314 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Effective velocity of 0 also means no need for inertial dampeners to stop the crew getting turned into paste or a deflector dish to push debris out the way so it doesn't turn the ship into a wreck. Technically, it beats the Star Trek concepts (if it ever gets made).
    I loved reading this yesterday myself.
    @CAM the ship will physically move, no power source in the known universe will move THE UNIVERSE around it. Dampeners maybe, but it will need some form of deflection field to knock debris out of the way, even if the ship does not move the debris will towards it.

    Plus lets not forget phasers to ward off those pesky Klingons

    I'm still hazy on the propulsion bit myself...

  4. #4

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,460
    Thank Post
    629
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Lucky MIT cooked the funding so fusion research could continue despite budget cuts.
    Well... would YOU want to be the guy that cut funding to FTL travel? [Actual FTL capabilities subject to change without notice.]

  5. #5


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,800
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 883 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Well... would YOU want to be the guy that cut funding to FTL travel? [Actual FTL capabilities subject to change without notice.]
    i dont think most money men care, if it dosent start making money the second the project starts they dont want to know which is why pretty much any long term investment in infrastructure etc is put off until its almsot too late the rewards take too long to appear

  6. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,130
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I loved reading this yesterday myself.
    @CAM the ship will physically move, no power source in the known universe will move THE UNIVERSE around it. Dampeners maybe, but it will need some form of deflection field to knock debris out of the way, even if the ship does not move the debris will towards it.

    Plus lets not forget phasers to ward off those pesky Klingons

    I'm still hazy on the propulsion bit myself...
    No, the ship won't move. It works by "warping" space around it. Moving that speed is impossible.

  7. #7

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,838
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 938 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    335
    Dear Santa,

    I've been a very, very good boy this year. Can I please have a fully working personal IXS Enterprise for christmas.

    Many thanks

    tmcd35

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,800
    Thank Post
    231
    Thanked 883 Times in 759 Posts
    Rep Power
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, the ship won't move. It works by "warping" space around it. Moving that speed is impossible.
    isnt that how the planet express ship works the universe moves around it?

  9. #9

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,130
    Thank Post
    522
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    isnt that how the planet express ship works the universe moves around it?
    Yeah, its the same concept I think!

  10. #10

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,838
    Thank Post
    874
    Thanked 938 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, the ship won't move. It works by "warping" space around it. Moving that speed is impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    isnt that how the planet express ship works the universe moves around it?
    You know, I just read this and something just clicked in the back of my head - I remembered seeing a picture of of Earth's gravity well and how space warps around it...

    Warp Capable Ship Concept-warped_grid-earth-moon1.jpg

    Is that how planets and stars move through space? By warping space around them? Thus we can move around the sun at 67,000mph without turning us in to Pesto?

  11. #11

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,110
    Thank Post
    379
    Thanked 389 Times in 314 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, the ship won't move. It works by "warping" space around it. Moving that speed is impossible.
    Yer I get that according to Mr Albert, that is impossible... I'll wait for the day it is proved wrong but that aside for a moment...

    So what you are saying is that every atom in the universe would move around the ship while that stays in position? So a collision is just not possible?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    679
    Thank Post
    264
    Thanked 98 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I saw this and nearly wet my pants! Just think we "could" in our lifetimes successfully leave the solar system, it's incredibly exciting.

    Who knows maybe building a warp capable ship will attract the attention of a passing vessel and make first contact

  13. #13

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,044
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 391 Times in 299 Posts
    Rep Power
    163
    I'll wait until the Navigators get hold of Spice thank you...

  14. 2 Thanks to Andrew_C:

    Marci (12th June 2014), tmcd35 (12th June 2014)

  15. #14

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,110
    Thank Post
    379
    Thanked 389 Times in 314 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Just think we "could" in our lifetimes successfully leave the solar system
    'Could' is right. It will take 50 years to perfect the system, given it is only a concept so far, then need to build the thing. It is taking us 25 years to build HS2 for blasphemy sake!

  16. #15

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,460
    Thank Post
    629
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Who knows maybe building a warp capable ship will attract the attention of a passing vessel and make first contact
    "First contact" #ShotsFired

    We're too violent.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless: Intro to concepts wanted
    By Andie in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th June 2008, 11:02 PM
  2. Query about Epson scanner capabilities
    By dhicks in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th June 2008, 04:48 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th February 2008, 03:10 PM
  4. Request: Opteron 180 capable 939 board sought
    By contink in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th January 2008, 08:59 PM
  5. Rats from a sinking ship...
    By RobC in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th February 2006, 09:21 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •