+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Warp Capable Ship Concept in General; Someone in NASA has to have a sense of humor and stick on a wall somewhere...

Thank Post
    Someone in NASA has to have a sense of humor and stick Warp Capable Ship Concept-hal_9000.jpg on a wall somewhere

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I did read that some scientists think that bringing a ship powered by an Alcubierre drive out of warp would kill all of the life in the star system you were arriving in. So it might be a one way trip.
    Only anything directly in front of the ship, drop out of warp facing empty space, no problem

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Only anything directly in front of the ship, drop out of warp facing empty space, no problem
    But then you're miles away from your actual destination, so would need to travel at sub-light speeds to get there...

Thank Post
    How are you miles away, you could drop out of warp in orbit as long as the forward part of the ship is pointed out to open space.

Allow me to quote from K-Pax:

Dr. Mark Powell: What if I were to tell you that according to a man who lived on our planet, named Einstein, that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light?

Prot: I would say that you misread Einstein, Dr. Powell. May I call you Mark? You see Mark, what Einstein actually said was that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite. Einstein said nothing about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I think high energy gamma rays would go a very long way without losing much of their energy, so finding an empty patch of sky to aim at might be more of a challenge than you'd expect. The sky may be big, but there's a lot of stuff in it. As best as I can find out, a supernova's kill radius for cosmic ray bursts is about 30 light years and some of the mass extinction events in our past may have been caused by them. And @JJonas's linked article says there's no upper limit to the energy build up - fly far enough and you could unleash the cosmic ray equivalent of an M1 Browning sniper shot.

There's an SF short story in there somewhere

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    "First contact" #ShotsFired

We're too violent.
    We might find we're not violent enough.

Thank Post
    Greg Bear's The Forge of God has one answer to the Fermi Paradox

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I think high energy gamma rays would go a very long way without losing much of their energy, so finding an empty patch of sky to aim at might be more of a challenge than you'd expect. The sky may be big, but there's a lot of stuff in it. As best as I can find out, a supernova's kill radius for cosmic ray bursts is about 30 light years and some of the mass extinction events in our past may have been caused by them. And @JJonas's linked article says there's no upper limit to the energy build up - fly far enough and you could unleash the cosmic ray equivalent of an M1 Browning sniper shot.

There's an SF short story in there somewhere
    It's all theoretical rubbish though, to be fair a big chunk of the scientific community thought igniting an atom bomb would ignite our entire atmosphere killing everyone, didn't stop them doing so. Hell we don't even understand half the things we "think" we do so projecting science from a potentially unsound base could lead to all kinds of errors, we don't even know if the theoretical drive would even work in the first place let alone what high energy particles it may or may not give off when you turn it off.

Start getting onto subjects like the multiverse and parallel realities which again are being speculated about, was watching one on the multiverse a few weeks ago and my eldest (7) was fascinated by it and kept talking and speculating about it for weeks afterwards.

Gamma ray bursts are bloomin scary stuff, to give it a scale in a second one puts out more energy than our sun in its lifetime

Anyway in order for a gamma ray burst to be dangerous to us, it would have to have originated from within our galaxy and as of now(?) there's not a candidate star close enough to kill us all, GRBs are also incredibly directional they're not like an explosion that radiates out they're very linear so we'd have to be phenomenally unlucky for the planet to be roasted by one. Again who knows we just don't know enough about them, how frequent they are, what really causes them, whether black holes even really exist (they could be wormholes for example). More questions than answers, just the way it should be

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123