+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Network Managers & ICT Techs in Secondary Schools & Academies: Dress Code? in General; Originally Posted by witch I would be pretty annoyed if that happened here - it isn't a religious requirement as ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I would be pretty annoyed if that happened here - it isn't a religious requirement as far as I know, it is your choice so how come you get to keep your choice and others can't keep theirs?
    Fear. Fear of being called a racist or taken to the cleaners for having such vile opinions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Jesus, do you not all melt in the summer? Camo combat shorts and a t-shirt (usually a band or some geeky slogan) here with either trainers or steelies and full length combats in the winter. I was forced to wear a suit in my last job and HATED it, i've never worn one to work since.
    nope as I get to wear shorts with a shirt

Thank Post
    It always amazes me the number of people who find it necessary to wear steel toed boots/shoes. I 've worked in schools for getting on for twenty years now and haven't come across a situation that would require safety boots. I guess I've been lucky with the tie thing as well, I've never got it caught in anything, mainly because I've always tucked it in my shirt if I find myself in a situation where it may be in the way. I reckon it's just an excuse by those who don't want to wear one.

Thank Post
    If i'm at one of my primary schools, smart shoes, black trousers and a grey branded polo. If im in the office, it's meant to be a suit and tie, but not warn a tie for 2 years at work - and it lead to the fight when we stopped wearing them in the office, after they kept getting in the way. The SLT finally agreed that it was probably a health and safety risk and let us not wear them.
    Summer it's whatever we want to wear, as long as it's suitable for the work you are doing (i.e. not high heels if you aren't going to be behind the desk for the whole day etc)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    I've worn my Islamic attire all my working life (Think Arab Shiekh, if you wanna paint a picture!)

My schools have never had a problem with it and I've never been challenged otherwise. So much so, that when one of my many previous RM managers bought in a formal uniform, he exempted me from the policy. Kudos to him on that one!

The only thing I have been challenged on was trainers, but the amount of posh shoes I've had to go through, trainers were the only real option. He did promise us steel toe caps, but he left before the policy was implemented!
    You know what, if it's good in the heat, i'm in! I'm fecking roasting!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NM & assistant NM full suit. Techs wear shirt and trousers.
    Last place Techs wrote school branded polo shirt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I would be pretty annoyed if that happened here - it isn't a religious requirement as far as I know, it is your choice so how come you get to keep your choice and others can't keep theirs?
    I didn't make any requests either way. No, it isn't a religious requirement. It was entirely my managers decision and he made it without consulting me prior to his announcement. No one else seemed to have a problem with it. I dress the way I dress everywhere I go. Whether it be home, work, event, etc. I see it as smart formal wear. I wore it to my job interview and I got the job and I wear it to work everyday. I don't own a suit and tie set and have always had the mindset that if they didn't accept me for the way I dressed, then I was better off without them.

If I was asked to adhere to a strict uniform policy then I would do so, as long as my employer supplied me with the uniform. I didn't ask for any special treatment, just because I may come across as "not the norm".

Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Fear. Fear of being called a racist or taken to the cleaners for having such vile opinions.
    I can't speak for others, but I would have never done anything of the sort.
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 13th June 2014 at 10:32 AM.

8. 2 Thanks to Zoom7000:

CAM (13th June 2014), Oaktech (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Trousers, shirt and shoes for me. Inset days and holidays is jeans/shorts and tshirt/polo. All staff wear what they want in holidays and inset except the site team who wear there provided uniform.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Why wait for them?? Sounds like a great excuse to go out and buy some new suits / dresses, shoes and of course handbags!! Yay!
    I'm in the process of losing weight, so don't want to buy any new clothes until I'm where I want to be!

Thank Post
    I wear a black jumper, shirt, no tie, Shoes and black Trousers. I'm allowed to wear whatever on holidays when the kids are off and I can wear what I want like today when sports day is happening or we have our summer fare!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I don't mind the allowance. I'm under tables and whatnot, so something more hard wearing is "appropriate clothing".

And we've had a PE teacher get told to wear a shirt + shoes [tie optional], when female staff are nearly falling out of their tops.
    Can I have a job at your school please

Oh it's supposed to be shirt and tie but I often go without and no one has yet given me a telling off, I believe there is some EU equality ruling that stipulates you can't force men to wear ties because you don't force women to do so, or so i've been told in the past. So they can request you wear a tie and make life unpleasant over it but they can't discipline you for not wearing one.

Might be wrong I took what was told to me at face value and never looked into it so YMMV but it's never caused me trouble.

School hols, shorts and t-shirt
    Last edited by Bananas; 13th June 2014 at 11:55 AM.

Thank Post
    'Office Smart', I believe is the terminology.

Cargo/Smart trousers, shirt, tie. Dress code has been introduced since September.

Ironic, really, as on my first day here (nearly eight years ago) I wore a suit, shirt and tie as I'd always done when going to work, and I was politely asked not to wear it the next day as 'The kids might think you're a teacher'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I was politely asked not to wear it the next day as 'The kids might think you're a teacher'.
    Let's face it though... nobody wants that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post

Good <insert preferred deity here>, no. A thousand times, No.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    TBH when it comes to pupils, ALL staff should be considered a teacher.

You don't get "you can't tell me off... you aint a teacher" that way.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast