+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Advice for a member of administration staff in General; Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a friend who works down in the reception and ...
    Thank Post

Advice for a member of administration staff

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a friend who works down in the reception and she is getting upset regularly and always crying on my shoulder about being treat like rubbish.
    She has told me of times where she gets the blame for other people's mistakes, and branded just because she is part of the same team.
    Was made to set up a lost property stall, and had to rifle through all sorts of dirty, unclean discusting things. And even when she did that was given grief about it by the head.
    Often gets random jobs from the head who she feels she cant say a thing to because of his position.
    She logs calls in the school and even tho this is the procedure of emailing all calls to staff, she gets flack from staff parents and the SMT about not hearing straight away.

I want to help her but i have no idea what she should and shouldnt be doing.
    It seems that she is getting the blunt end of everyone elses problems.

Does anyone have any advice about anything or someone she could speak to, as i want to help but i feel i am doing no good.

Thanks
    Tom

Thank Post

Re: Advice for a member of administration staff

I would get her to write down when thes thing are happening, i would also get her to talk to her union rep as if she is in tears then thats not on and something should be done about it.

Thank Post

Agree with DSapseid, writing things down is a good way of ensuring things aren't forgotten, as well as showing a pattern when talking to the union.

Whilst people are often reluctant to talk to the union, they are the best place for advice - it may be that she doesn't have to get them actively involved (though it's advisable to take them to any discussions with the head/management that may take place)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

@tomscaper:
    Be very careful my friend even though you feel you may be helping you may in fact be hindering. I should point your friend in the direction of A: Her line manager B: Personnel Officer and C: Union, in that order otherwise becoming involved even when a friend can get you into serious trouble believe me have been there and worn the T-Shirt.

Good advice to write everything down though.

Thank Post

Thanks for the advice, to be honest i have not said anything that she should do, but she feels she can come to me and talk to me about any problems, as i dont really know who she cant go to and talk to.
    I did suggest she speak to a union about this, but she was reluctant.

@Bossman
    I am trying not to get involved, yes she is my friend and sure she cant get things off her chest but thats as far as it goes, i dont really have any comments that i can give to her, i just tell her she should tell someone about it or speak to a union, was my reasoning for this post to give her real advice where to go.

Thanks for the advice i will have a word with her and get her to go to a line manager , personel or union.

Just annoys me that the head seems to think he can boss anyone about, and treat them like this.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a friend who works down in the reception and she is getting upset regularly and always crying on my shoulder about being treat like rubbish.
    She has told me of times where she gets the blame for other people's mistakes, and branded just because she is part of the same team.
    Was made to set up a lost property stall, and had to rifle through all sorts of dirty, unclean discusting things. And even when she did that was given grief about it by the head.
    Often gets random jobs from the head who she feels she cant say a thing to because of his position.
    She logs calls in the school and even tho this is the procedure of emailing all calls to staff, she gets flack from staff parents and the SMT about not hearing straight away.

I want to help her but i have no idea what she should and shouldnt be doing.
    It seems that she is getting the blunt end of everyone elses problems.

Does anyone have any advice about anything or someone she could speak to, as i want to help but i feel i am doing no good.

Thanks
    Tom
    This sounds like one of those Dear Deirdre letters.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Being a union rep and having seen it from the other side - definately write everything down. You need to have evidence to have anything to work with. It also can help put things into perspective, as when you're upset/ feeling put upon things can seem more of a problem than they are.

It certainly doesn't have to get negative either. I've seen things turned right around. Often 'official' involvement is the only way some issues like this get aired at all, and most times management will be surprised to find out what they're doing and will be happy to try to fix things. It's good if you can sort things out yourself, and you will be respected for that. But i've seen that involving a union isn't seen as a bad thing. After all, we all want to get the best out of any job.

Many LAs offer free councelling - something else to consider. The service is totally confidential of course. Everyone has the right to expect a working environment free of any kind of negative stress.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread