+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Purchasing a new camera.. Where to buy.. in General; Good evening All So, I'm looking to possibly upgrade my trusty Canon 350D probably to the Canon 70D and I'm ...
    Thank Post

Purchasing a new camera.. Where to buy..

Good evening All

So, I'm looking to possibly upgrade my trusty Canon 350D probably to the Canon 70D and I'm just looking about for places to buy.

Usually, I go to Jessops as I've bought a few cameras and lenses from them over the years and they've always been great service, but I'm looking around at other places and I've come across a couple of online places, namely panamoz.com and SLRHut.co.uk who both offer considerable discounts on the likes of Jessops and Wex.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of those or can recommend other places to buy etc.

Thanks all
    Andy

Thank Post
    If you're in Lancashire it has to be Wilkinsons - proper service from a proper shop (with all the benefits that brings).

3. Thanks to Seb1780 from:

soveryapt (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb1780 View Post
    If you're in Lancashire it has to be Wilkinsons - proper service from a proper shop (with all the benefits that brings).
    Another one for Wilkinsons, you may pay more but you pay for quality service and assistance which is second to none.

A

5. Thanks to Ad93 from:

soveryapt (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to make you aware - SLRHut has a Mailboxes Inc address listed as their address on their site. Plus, in their company policies page, they list their number in an American style format "02035-149-372". The company has also failed to file their accounts with Companies House for 2012-13!

Also Panamoz is a Hong Kong based company, with a UK presence. After looking at their FAQs and About Us, they seem to be importing cameras from other markets and re-selling them, then providing a warranty here (not the manufacturer's warranty). I've not got proof of that, but that's the impression they give!

If you're going to use one of these "no name" online sites, be sure to do thorough checks on the company before doing so.

Last edited by localzuk; 11th June 2014 at 08:39 AM.

7. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

nephilim (11th June 2014), soveryapt (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I bought my 60D from DigitalRev a couple of years ago - ordered on a Friday afternoon, and it was sitting on my desk on Monday morning coming all the way from Hong Kong. Same deal as Panamoz so you take your chances.

If you're after a non grey import then have a look at Wex Photographic.

9. Thanks to pantscat from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are after buying second hand, I have used these guys a couple of times: Used Digital SLR Cameras | Second Hand Digital SLR Camera | Used DSLR after they were recommended on here.

11. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Thank Post
    Yup, these cheaper cameras are probably genuine, but they are imports which means if you want to claim on the warranty for the camera you have to send it to a warranty centre in the country it was intended for. That's how I understand at least anyway.

13. Thanks to jb2201 from:

Thank Post
    I've often bought from the Canon factory outlet on ebay. Had some real bargains from them with full manufacturer warranty. In fact the 350D I bought from them back in the day developed a fault after 18 months, I had a chat with Canon who said send it to our repair place in Colchester and it was repaired and cleaned FOC even though technically they could have weaseled out of it and I didn't even have to ask. Repair came to about £180

15. Thanks to Bananas from:

Thank Post
    I used LCE when I bought my new camera, they have been very good.

London Camera Exchange

also managed to haggle quiet a bit when buying as well.

17. Thanks to diddylord from:

Thank Post
    These guys have always been good when I haev needed items MPB Photographic - Buy Used Canon & Used Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses & More

19. Thanks to Hefferzzzz from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Just to make you aware - SLRHut has a Mailboxes Inc address listed as their address on their site. Plus, in their company policies page, they list their number in an American style format "02035-149-372". The company has also failed to file their accounts with Companies House for 2012-13!

Also Panamoz is a Hong Kong based company, with a UK presence. After looking at their FAQs and About Us, they seem to be importing cameras from other markets and re-selling them, then providing a warranty here (not the manufacturer's warranty). I've not got proof of that, but that's the impression they give!

If you're going to use one of these "no name" online sites, be sure to do thorough checks on the company before doing so.

Yeah, I realise they're not truly uk based and just have a UK office. I was leaning more towards Panamoz for them though as SLRHut did seem a little too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    I bought my 60D from DigitalRev a couple of years ago - ordered on a Friday afternoon, and it was sitting on my desk on Monday morning coming all the way from Hong Kong. Same deal as Panamoz so you take your chances.
    Aye, that's it, it's a chance, hence asking who has and who hasn't. Glad to hear you had success with yours, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I've often bought from the Canon factory outlet on ebay. Had some real bargains from them with full manufacturer warranty. In fact the 350D I bought from them back in the day developed a fault after 18 months, I had a chat with Canon who said send it to our repair place in Colchester and it was repaired and cleaned FOC even though technically they could have weaseled out of it and I didn't even have to ask. Repair came to about £180
    I might check that out and see if they still have an outlet on there.

I think if I go for a UK one it will either be Jessops or Wilkinson that get the business, it's just the usual cost thing. Thanks for all your responses so far and other suggestions for shops.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread