+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, Paid Peanuts in General; Originally Posted by Bananas Honestly this country is turning into a really nasty place to live if you have the ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Honestly this country is turning into a really nasty place to live if you have the cheek to become ill/disabled. I'm terrified for when the time inevitably comes for me need to claim these benefits as my illness progresses and i'm made out by the government and media to be an evil scrounger.
    Basically this. The media and people like those in this thread who would like to remain nameless spouting this blatantly untrue anti-benefits rhetoric makes it even worse. If you try and make an argument that maybe they don't fully understand the disabled/benefits claimants situation, you just get shouted down.

I honestly don't even see the problem with people on disability or employment benefit having TVs or buying booze. Are you seriously suggesting that they are not allowed to enjoy themselves if they don't have a job? Should we really treat the unemployed and the disabled like second-class citizens behind everyone else?
    Last edited by Sdrawkcab; 10th June 2014 at 04:00 PM.

2. 3 Thanks to Sdrawkcab:

ButterflyMoon (10th June 2014), raimon (10th June 2014), witch (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Again, its a case of being able to decide who is genuinely disabled and who is simply cheating the system.

4. Thanks to superatticman from:

abillybob (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Basically this. The media and people like @abillybob spouting this blatantly untrue anti-benefits rhetoric makes it even worse. If you try and make an argument that maybe they don't fully understand the disabled/benefits claimants situation, you just get shouted down.

I honestly don't even see the problem with people on disability or employment benefit having TVs or buying booze. Are you seriously suggesting that they are not allowed to enjoy themselves if they don't have a job? Should we really treat the unemployed and the disabled like second-class citizens behind everyone else?
    The lord above give me strength. Thankyou for pointing out everything I haven't said. I get a bit annoyed when words are being put in my mouth consistently on subjects matters like these.

If you read my previous posts this is not against people who are on disability benefits that are physically unable to work and really struggle, as long as they're on benefits for legitimate reasons I have no problem with it. The actual person I was referring to is my Girlfriends dad who if you must know (as I feel I have to explain the situation) can buy himself a brand new 60" television with surround sound, afford to spend £120 per week on fags and is an alcoholic who drinks EXCESSIVELY every day but then can't even buy his daughter a new mattress (since hers is 10 years old) or even carpet for that matter disgusts me, but how your making out is that if the benefit system see's him as disabled then all is ok and everyone is happy to give him all these things for free, I for one am not a mug and look at the bigger picture. If he can drink himself to death and smoke and happily sit there for years on end but still be classed by the government as disabled you think that's ok? and do you think his morals are all in check? Would you personally give your tax money to people like him? The answer must be yes due to your comment none if classed as disabled must be doing anything wrong apparently.

As I say this is NOT against all and sundry who are on benefits and is in fact directed at people who cheat the system. Once again it annoys me that even though I have explained this once people still try to come back and bite my head off unless you're agreeing that benefit frauds are in the right don't use me as an example in your argument.

I know more about how benefits work than most people as I say I've been on them I know a lot of people very close to me that are on them and majority are for the right reasons but then some aren't. Please don't misunderstand and think I am blatantly ripping off every single person that is on benefits this is not the case and I'd appreciate it if people would let this subject go now as it get boring, everyone has their own opinions and has the right to express them but do not penalise me for something I haven't said.

Edit: Actually @witch @Elsiegee is there any chance you can remove these kind of comments as they're not related to the thread and I don't now about everyone else but I get sick and tired of these subjects coming up!
    Last edited by abillybob; 10th June 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ...but the vast majority of people getting benefits do not cheat the system. Lets not get all Daily Mail about this
    What do you class as cheating the system? Working while claiming unemployment benefit? Or simply not looking for work - both are cheating the system.

My wife has worked in Job Seekers Allowance (hint in the name) and its predecessors for 30 years. She tells me that 50% or more of the "customers" she sees (not allowed to call them claimants anymore) are blatantly not even looking for work. So when they sign their declaration to claim JSA - they ARE cheating the system.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    TEdit: Actually @witch @Elsiegee is there any chance you can remove these kind of comments as they're not related to the thread and I don't now about everyone else but I get sick and tired of these subjects coming up!
    Wow nice.

For the record, I edited my post. Yours did come across like you were projecting your feelings about your girlfriends parents onto all benefits claimants, so apologies if I misconstrued what you were saying.

Still, if he's an alcoholic there's probably more going on there than just him being bone idle. Addiction is as much of a medical problem as anything else. I won't comment on this point any more, though, because obviously I don't fully understand the situation as I've only read what you've written here.

Thank Post
    Well if that's the case she should be sanctioning them as that's what her job is. I could counter that by saying 100% of the JCP staff i've had to deal with are complete holes and bend over backwards to make your life as miserable as possible, i've not been out of work much (thank god) but when I have had to deal with the system i've found the staff completely uncaring and unhelpful.

Last time I was unemployed about 5 years ago I had to get my MP involved because i'd been signing on for 13 weeks without receiving a penny in JSA. I'd phone up they'd say i'll send that dept an email as we aren't allowed to phone them, someone will phone you back, guess what they never do, phone again a few days later same result all this time they're expecting you to sign on fortnightly with a 30 mile round trip to the JCP to get sod all money.

Sure there are people taking the mick but it's not solely limited to the "clients"

No slur intended on your wife at all btw

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    Well if that's the case she should be sanctioning them as that's what her job is. I could counter that by saying 100% of the JCP staff i've had to deal with are complete holes and bend over backwards to make your life as miserable as possible, i've not been out of work much (thank god) but when I have had to deal with the system i've found the staff completely uncaring and unhelpful.
    I tell you what Bananas - come to Darlo and tell me my wife is a hole! You will need disability allowance!

Why are you so touchy if you have nothing to hide - it SHOULDNT be easy claiming benefits. You SHOULD have prove that you are eligible.

As for sanctioning them - they are passed on to more senior staff for that. They decide whether they have the time to investigate 100's of people a week. - They don't! Because like most other government depts. they are cut to the bone.

Thank Post
    Sadly this thread is proving that some, especially those with the modern British sense of entitlement cannot put up a case without making stupid references to those who work in the JCP. Its a bloody difficult call to make having to decide who is genuine and who isn't.

Some people need to take a look in the mirror before blaming all their problems on society. Thats not a pop at you Bananas btw,

Thank Post
    I can see this really getting out of hand can any of the mods step in?

12. Thanks to abillybob from:

ButterflyMoon (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    OK guys. Time to cool it. This thread may disappear for a while so we can read and moderate as necessary.

14. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

abillybob (10th June 2014)

jaf

Thank Post
    Going back to the original topic... so what can be done about this? I think something needs to be done to keep the level of staff that schools need - it doesn't make any sense for a school to employ less trained staff on low pay scales to just have to pay an external company shed loads of money on external contracts for support when with the right in-house knowledge, most of that could be done with the staff on site. It would also prevent staff from switching jobs so often in the lookout for higher paid jobs.

The job descriptions need to be updated to reflect the high amount of work IT technicians do which I don't think is always the case. The level of responsibility and importance IT has on a school is also not taken into account I don't feel. Is there a case for a job re-evaluation for many IT staff? How can we get this to take place? I know many councils do offer job re-evaluation, so is it worth going down this route?
    These are all serious questions, as it is an area I feel strongly about, being an IT technician myself, on a not-so-fantastic wage! And doing way more than my job description...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,702 Posts
    Thank you @jaf
    taking us neatly back to topic

Please respond to this or the OP rather than continue the argument about benefits -comments will be removed

17. 2 Thanks to witch:

abillybob (11th June 2014), Bananas (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I'm not sure what can be done, I'm new to education, previously private sector, took a 50% pay cut to work as an IT technician. ( its a long story to bore everyone with the details )
    What I have experienced to date is that our IT dept. ( probably the same in all schools ) has extremely well qualified staff, who perform tasks way beyond their pay scale, it is just assumed that we are responsible and should fix any issues.
    Job descriptions do not reflect the level of expertise required to run a school IT infrastructure, in most cases they are old job specs that don't get updated to reflect the multitude of new technologies we are expected to provide and support.
    Pay scales set by local councils are prehistoric in the way they are calculated.
    Senior staff simply do not understand IT or what it takes to make it work.
    Respect for IT staff is minimal, it is like going back in a time machine to when IT was perceived a necessary evil with no value.
    I don't know how this will ever change within a school environment, which is a shame because they are great places to work, but ultimately personally I work to live I do not live to work.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not money orientated I have worked at the top levels within IT for the big money and it's not all that, I would just like a salary which is fair.

19. 3 Thanks to mrnoisy:

ButterflyMoon (11th June 2014), gmj (12th June 2014), witch (12th June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456