+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Paid Peanuts in General; I don't want to start ructions here but do you REALLY think life is that rosy on the dole???? Yeah ...
    Thank Post
    I don't want to start ructions here but do you REALLY think life is that rosy on the dole???? Yeah am sure you will trot out examples of folk you know but for the vast majority of people on the dole life is no treat and damned hard these days.

2. 2 Thanks to ButterflyMoon:

Bananas (10th June 2014), witch (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Really? I have the drive for the job and go above and beyond. But when asking my employer if I could go up a scale and go to a Senior IT Technicians post I was refused as they can't afford it.... yay!
    I think this goes to the heart of my first comment on the subject. You work in a job were you are building a very serious and valuable skill set. When you are ready you can use it to your advantage. Must be easier for some one with 2-3 yrs IT Tech experience to find a better paid job than someone with 2-3yrs shelf stacker experience?

All I know is that I earn more now than most of the managers I met in retail (exception being the store general manger who was on about £60k (PC-World, large retail chain)). And I'm pretty sure my job is easier and less stressful as well.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 10th June 2014 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMoon View Post
    I don't want to start ructions here but do you REALLY think life is that rosy on the dole???? Yeah am sure you will trot out examples of folk you know but for the vast majority of people on the dole life is no treat and damned hard these days.
    I do of course. Not having to work and getting money for it, how can that lifestyle not be rosy!? Plus if you're not working then I don't think you have a right to deligate to the government how much money they should give you for free but that my honest opinion.
    I get annoyed by the people that say things along the lines of "Oh I don't get enough money, I'm really struggling every day", "do you work?", "No" then there's your problem don't think you'll get sympathy off me. Anyone can get a job and I'd always work even if I had to scrub toilets out for a living I wouldn't stop. I know too many people around me that don't work, never work and live very easy lives.

You only have to watch an episode of Jeremy Kyle to see that 1. None of them have any teeth for some strange reason, 2. They're all doing drugs and freely admit they use benefit money to do so, 3. They all seem to this "Yob-Factor" about them.

I must say I have been on the dole for 4 months while searching for a job but every single day I was out there handing my CV's into shops all over Shropshire I'd use the money I was given to get a friggin job not pay for tobacco, alcohol or cannibis. A lot of people are legitimate and are on the same boat I was and are doing their best this comment ISN'T for those people only for the people that can't be to do anything with themselves and expect free money from the government.

Thank Post
    You need to be able to separate those who are genuinely on the dole and seeking work and those who are playing the system and handing their techniques down to their offspring. Yet again its a case of the political class being horrified at what they see on Jeremy Kyle yet they are the ones who have created this.

6. 2 Thanks to superatticman:

Bananas (10th June 2014), ButterflyMoon (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    You need to be able to separate those who are genuinely on the dole and seeking work and those who are playing the system and handing their techniques down to their offspring. Yet again its a case of the political class being horrified at what they see on Jeremy Kyle yet they are the ones who have created this.
    Hence my comment below cheers.

A lot of people are legitimate and are on the same boat I was and are doing their best this comment ISN'T for those people only for the people that can't be to do anything with themselves and expect free money from the government.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just done a very quick and dirty run through of the benefits calculator here - Benefits Calculator - entitledto - independent | accurate | reliable

Family of 6, both parents unemployed, in a 3 bed council house. No disabilities. Turns out the total benefits is £27,500. Or £13,750 per adult. If one adult got a job at national minimum wage the household income increases to £32,600.

Be interested what scenerio is needed to hit £60k pa. Are we targeting the disabled as benefits cheats?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Be interested what scenerio is needed to hit £60k pa. Are we targeting the disabled as benefits cheats?
    IIRC, been a while since I paid attention to those stories, it's very large family, "disability", someone/parents registered as a carer. Also, partner "doesn't live there". So "single parent" as well.... With the disabled/carer it's ideal to get everyone registered as disabled and have all adults be carers for everyone. If that makes sense. [My aunt does that. She's the "carer" for my cousin. Who is perfectly capable of doing things... and lives nowhere near her.]

I'm targeting the benefits cheats as benefits cheats.

The genuinely disabled deserve help.
    Last edited by X-13; 10th June 2014 at 01:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Obviously not. But then again I suppose it depends. I know I keep going back to this but my girlfriends mum & dad are technically disabled, one has something wrong with their nervous system where his joints lock up (though I have been with my girlfriend for almost 6 years and this has never happened since being with her) and the other has a brain tumour which I can understand. The dad with the nerve problem in my eyes could easily work doing an Office job etc... but he has never tried so I'd class him being a bit of cheat if I'm honest he has no issues sitting in from of his laptop and 60" sony Bravia television screen all day so I don't know how this would be any different.
    Her brother also on benefits is classed as disabled, he has ADHD and since finding out he could get disability benefit he quit his job (where he was paid cash) and started on the dole, earns 3x the amount and is now seen as eligible for a brand new motability car of his choosing all insurance paid for etc... I would just like to say thank you to the state for supporting the folk that do work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    ...but the vast majority of people getting benefits do not cheat the system. Lets not get all Daily Mail about this and return to the original premise of the thread. @abillybob - I would look for another job if I were you. You have a good skillset and someone wouldnt have to pay you a huge salary to entice you (it would be huge to you, but not them, if you see what I mean)

12. Thanks to witch from:

raimon (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    IMHO the disabled are being punished the most out of all benefit claimants. The biggest stick they get hit with is the benefit formerly known as DLA with the higher rate mobility allowance. I don't know if people are aware of the motability scheme but it means you can use that portion of your DLA to get a lease vehicle with full maintenance plan. The newspapers of course report this as a "free car" it's not they pay for it.

They used to have the choice of pretty much any car you liked as long as you were prepared to put the extra money in upfront for the expensive vehicles, again the media were then banging on about the disabled driving around in BMWs (I have never seen this!). Most of the no deposit cars are the basic stuff things like Zafiras, fiat 500L+2 or the tiny cars like smartcars pug 1007 stuff like that. Due to the media reporting the payment system has been massively overworked to prevent people getting as much choice and as a result they've removed nearly all automatics which is just brilliant for disabled drivers!!!

Don't even get me started on the PIP assessments, our local office is on the 3rd floor of a building with no lifts, this office was specifically leased to assess DISABLED PEOPLE!!! Genius so now the DWP are having to pay for taxis for people to do a 80 mile round trip to the next nearest centre that is disabled friendly.

Bedroom tax - now if this had been done sensibly it could've been a good thing, helping people move from big homes after the kids have left but the problem is there's nowhere for these people to go, so what happens? They leave their cheaper rented accomodation into smaller private rented with much high rent and then HB picks up a BIGGER bill! Again the disabled/sick get punished for having separate bedrooms or for storing equipment, David Cameron has lied to parliament many many times saying disabled people are exempt from bedroom tax, they ARE NOT exempt.

Access to benefits is joke, new PIP claims taking over 8 months to be sorted, that's 8 months with NO money from DLA/PIP. There was a story recently where an older man dialled 999 to say i'm going to shoot myself over not having any money for 6 months, police arrived and he'd done it, all over benefits not being assessed in a timely fashion.

Then we move on to the passport debacle hundreds of thousands of passports are backed up because there isn't enough staff to process them, meaning although people applied in plenty of time they may not get their holiday because of the Home Office mess. BTW last year the passport office made a surplus of £63m so why all the cutbacks if they were making a profit???

Honestly this country is turning into a really nasty place to live if you have the cheek to become ill/disabled. I'm terrified for when the time inevitably comes for me need to claim these benefits as my illness progresses and i'm made out by the government and media to be an evil scrounger.

14. 2 Thanks to Bananas:

ButterflyMoon (10th June 2014), witch (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    @abillybob - I would look for another job if I were you. You have a good skillset and someone wouldnt have to pay you a huge salary to entice you (it would be huge to you, but not them, if you see what I mean)
    @witch I have been looking on websites like TES and on here on Directgov etc... every week but nothing has come up Personally I'd prefer to stay in education as I like working with the children but to earn a little bit more wouldn't go a miss!

Thank Post
    @witch Personally I'd prefer to stay in education as I like working with the children
    Err???

17. Thanks to raimon from:

Joanne (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raimon View Post
    Err???
    If you don't then I'd suggest you're in the wrong job. - the panda has nothing to do with anything it's just a panda, enjoy.

Thank Post
    I am in the wrong job, but hey ho it is a job, better than no job or is it hmmm. Nice panda btw

20. Thanks to raimon from:

Bananas (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raimon View Post
    I am in the wrong job, but hey ho it is a job, better than no job or is it hmmm. Nice panda btw
    Haha very true!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast