+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What gadget do you wish existed - serious answers only please! in General; To clarify: Product design is the process that begins with the sketch and ends with the final product - made ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    To clarify:
    Product design is the process that begins with the sketch and ends with the final product - made and working
    She can come up with a variation on a theme but it must be a substantial one.
    It doesn't really matter what it is made of - she can use wood, metal, plastic etc along with electrical,electronic, mechanical, hydraulic or any other process

2. Thanks to witch from:

Garacesh (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    A shredder that actually works, is fast and doesn't tempt to to put a thick wad of paper in at once because you are so impatient... and it jams.
    Thing is though like anything else they're built to a price and spec you can get fast ones that will chew through anything but they're industrial and cost the earth so you can't really say you cheapy £10 from Tesco doesn't work.

Ben

Thank Post
    I know that variations on this exist but some kind of device to check for drink spiking.

5. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

witch (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    To clarify:
    Product design is the process that begins with the sketch and ends with the final product - made and working
    She can come up with a variation on a theme but it must be a substantial one.
    It doesn't really matter what it is made of - she can use wood, metal, plastic etc along with electrical,electronic, mechanical, hydraulic or any other process
    I came up with a design for my cat treat toy thing yesterday afternoon in about 5 minutes while doodling my way through hold music. Seriously thinking of prototyping it actually. Essentially it's a sissal scratching post with an air tube running down it, the air tube is attached to a bladder inside the toy. When the animal compresses the toy, the change in air pressure in the tube triggers a valve which opens a slot in a food dispenser and the treat drops down into a bowl.

There are issues I'd need to consider:

1) The air tube - my cat can chew his way through power cables. A Plastic fish-tank style air tube would be vulnerable. Current solution: That woven metal coating that looks like Chinese finger puzzles.
    2) The valve/slot setup.
    3) Treat storage - easy access for refilling
    4) Replaceable parts - does the toy part come off? Is it separate from the 'internal' tube?
    5) Stability - Fishing rod toys with a cat hanging off the end are inherently unstable. Current solution: Spring mechanism. Like those posh kitchen taps. Safety for the animal is paramount though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Another thing I would like to see. Clips that can hold a switch into a rack so you don't have to hold it into position and screw it in at the same time.
    How about a new form of cage bolt/nut that you can put in from the front that locks into place when tightened, as the bolt goes through the bolt has bits that get pushed out to lock into the rack, kind of like a masonry anchor. If done right it could save all sorts of time and injury.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

witch (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,498 Posts

Thank Post
    Come on, you super-intelligent lot!
    There must be something you have thought of that you wish existed.
    You are all hitting the same problem she is - you think of something and then find it on t'interweb...

Thank Post
    One thing I've always looked for and failed to find is a good camera carrying rucksac. Bags seem to fall into one of two categories; either a good bag for the hills that has the right straps and padding to make it comfortable for all day use or a camera bag with padding, compartmentalisation and lots of pockets for storing bits but useless straps that cut into you after half an hour walking.

Currently I use a smallish camera bag inside my "proper" rucksac but this has the disadvantage of being laden down with all the straps, buckles and other paraphenalia needed to make it a stand alone bag in its own right.

My ideal would be a padded, configurable container designed to fit into a standard rucksac without adding too much weight and bulk.

12. Thanks to Seb1780 from:

witch (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    You are all hitting the same problem she is - you think of something and then find it on t'interweb...
    Haven't found the cat treat scratch post on the web yet although if anyone else has please let me know as I'd like to buy him one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Haven't found the cat treat scratch post on the web yet although if anyone else has please let me know as I'd like to buy him one.
    I thought you were going to build it yourself, or at least patent it? I didn't want to steal it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    I was going to say teleportation however refer to this video :

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bit mad, but hey, it's an idea: some kind of iPhone case that locks with a weird sort of puzzle, so that it takes 30-60 seconds of effort (or getting up to find the master key you've put somewhere) to open. Would need to be able to answer phone calls through it, but it would a) make it much harder to be distracted by your phone when you're meant to be focusing on something, by making it too much effort to go off task b) work as a way of making your alarm clock really hard to turn off so you have to wake up instead of sleepily swiping for snooze.

A Chinese finger iPhone Trap, basically.

17. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

witch (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Oh well, at least proves it was a good idea as other people are already profiting from it.

Thank Post
    I thought you were going to build it yourself, or at least patent it? I didn't want to steal it
    LOL I have other things to worry about at the moment than designing something, making a prototype, faffing about with manufacturers. There are many more 'concept' ideas out there better than mine. I might have a crack at making a 'home made' one for Enzo to enjoy at some point though.

20. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

witch (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,113 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Interactive Cat Scratch Post and Food Treat Training Feeder for Sale | Wayfair

Looks like all the good ideas have been taken already.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast