+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Tablets for 1 form entry primary school in General; Good morning, I have recently been helping a small primary school who purchased a set of 10 iPads. They are ...

Thank Post

Question Tablets for 1 form entry primary school

Good morning,
    I have recently been helping a small primary school who purchased a set of 10 iPads. They are very happy with them and would like to purchase more tablets but they are under the impression that with iPads you are paying only for the name.

They would like their new tablets to link up with the school network such that not only can they go on the internet but they can also browse network shares (something which is possible with an iPad, but they had never implemented it).

They had initially thought of purchasing (via Tesco?!) some Huddl's. I am really not sure on this idea as I doubt there is any way to effectively manage these devices. They had shown interest in Samsung tablets also.

Can anyone give me some advice or guidance on how we can move this school along?

They are interested in purchasing around 30 new devices and don't want to spend more than around 100-120 per unit.
    Obviously, in addition to this they will need some syncing and storage equipment. They have good wireless but really need something which can appropriately manage the devices.
    With Apple there are various ways, I am not so sure with Samsung or other makes.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thank Post
    There are plenty of people on this forum who have been burned by the proposals made by schools due to the lack of planning and preparation.
    There are also people on here who have the budgets, planning and support required to implement them in a way that the devices are designed to be used.

MY advice to you would be to ensure the 'higher ups' are aware of the problems they face if they implement such a idea without ensuring sufficient planning and preparations have been made.

I personally have no clue how to implement your goal, and would require a budget to allow external consultation / engineers to assist and configure an training to support.

3. Thanks to Galway from:

talksr (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    We have Android here in the form of Learnpads, they are are about 150 per unit 8". We bought the class sets 30* with Lapcabby for around 5500.

They tie in with network shares and are very easily managed.

5. 2 Thanks to pooley:

southhamster (6th June 2014), talksr (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for both pads, I agree they need a proper plan before they go into things. I had looked at learnpads and my only reservation was would they be around in 3-4 years time? And how robust would their devices be? Generally the Apples are pretty solid and easy enough to get repaired.

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered the Microsoft Surface? Or a windows tablet? Would work seamlessly (maybe!) with the network...

Thank Post
    I've got a Win8.1 tablet on one of my networks and there seems to be a small amount of success with it. However - it is instead of a teacher laptop so it isn't really used as a pupil device.

Thank Post
    Hmm, yes did consider, never used, thought they 'should' work better, but is their budget not well under the cost of a surface?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    I have been looking at the learnpads and I think they will be around in a few years and they seem to be something that will work on a school network very well. They are very solid too.
    Forgive me, but it sounds from your posts that you want to buy more ipads and you are looking for some justification.
    Last edited by witch; 6th June 2014 at 12:03 PM.

11. 2 Thanks to witch:

talksr (6th June 2014), X-13 (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Only thing I can add is, if your looking at 100 I don't think they will last 3 Years let alone 2.

Been testing the Hudls and talking to people who own them (plus some online review work). For the price range 100 it is worth it, you really do get what you pay for a basic device.

They are relatively slow and do come with Tesco all over it. I also find the wireless is a tad slower then what I would expect. People who I have spoken to have said similar things, fine for some one who uses once or twice a week but a device that is used throughout the day on/off I believe it will struggle.

I personally would persuade the above to push for closer to the 200 range and you will get better devices, screen sizes, specs and something that will last. We have access to our drives through our Website so Students are fine on that sense.
    Last edited by mthomas08; 6th June 2014 at 12:33 PM.

13. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

talksr (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah just get some more ipads... mini's are sub 200 now!

15. Thanks to Joanne from:

talksr (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks again for the posts, yes reliability is certainly something I would like to be considered.
    I would not say I am pro iPad, but I do know exactly how to manage and set these up.
    I am not convinced iPads are right for this school, but if the prices are sub 200 then it may be easier for them to just increase their existing pool.

The trouble is, whatever they get, they then need to further invest in infrastructure/equipment to manage them in the form of solid wireless, syncing and storage equipment etc etc.

17. Thanks to talksr from:

witch (6th June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread