+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 576
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam Ehm... team names were replaced with another generic team "rivalry" to protect myself and the company ...
  1. #121

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,039
    Thank Post
    374
    Thanked 371 Times in 302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Ehm... team names were replaced with another generic team "rivalry" to protect myself and the company I'm representing?
    Ha well played!

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    99
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Completely incorrect. I'm an England football fan who saw us win the World Cup (albeit on TV), saw that tackle by Bobby Moore, that save by Gordon Banks, that hat-trick by Lineker, and has watched the Premier League get so far up itself that we've failed to produce a World Class national team since 1996.

    The biggest mistake the FA ever made was replacing Terry Venables (I know, I know......he wasn't replaced, he resigned. Read between the lines, then look at his replacement and what that replacement is doing now) for the 98 World Cup. With the opposition around at that time, and with the players he would have had available, I firmly believe that that was the best shot we'd had for years and, maybe, ever will have again.
    You're optomistic..... I think one of the reasons England have suffered in major tournaments has been due to media pressure to live up to a team that played nearly 50 years ago.

    The reason England haven't won a major tournament is that they simply haven't been good enough. Germany were better in 96 and there is no way England would have beaten France in 98, Zidane would have made our midfield look like a Sunday league team. The fact that there are young players coming through in this tournament shows that the premier league isn't killing off the chance for young players to come through. It also means that when they do come through they are playing against world class opposition that they will face when they go to major tournaments.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    174
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 72 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Lots of people seem to be getting excited about Welbeck's injury because it will force Roy to play Sterling/Barkley. In reality I imagine Milner will be his replacement, don't get me wrong I really rate Milner but I dont see what we've got to lose playing these young attacking players.

    I do feel sorry for Welbeck if he does miss out, his record for England is not bad at all.

  4. #124


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 240 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    Back to Welbeck his record is 8 goals in 24 games, 1 in 3, not bad for somebody who is mainly played out on the left wing for England, I personally think he's a decent player and will be a shame if he's injured for the first game.
    Slightly not as good as Jermaine Defoe, (19 in 55) who played the majority of his club career for teams that consistently created fewer chances per game than Welbeck's club, but he didn't even get on the plane.

    Given the same scoring chance, in the same game, I'd put MY pension on Defoe hitting the back of the net, but I'd only put YOUR pension on Welbeck.

  5. #125

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,925
    Thank Post
    1,626
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    The fact that there are young players coming through in this tournament shows that the premier league isn't killing off the chance for young players to come through. It also means that when they do come through they are playing against world class opposition that they will face when they go to major tournaments.
    Are you mad? EPL is killing off English talent in replacement for foreign talent. EPL has less than 1/3 of English players in the teams, compared to Germany, Spain, Italy etc where they have around 55% of the league flooded with home grown talent. EPL (and other leagues across europe) worked best when they were limited to the amount of international players they could have in a squad.

    Reinstitute the Bosman rule for foreign players 3 non-domestic players + 2 assimilated players (people who have played for the team for 5 years or more, or had come through the youth team as a foreign national).
    Last edited by nephilim; 11th June 2014 at 12:14 PM.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    174
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 72 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Given the same scoring chance, in the same game, I'd put MY pension on Defoe hitting the back of the net, but I'd only put YOUR pension on Welbeck.
    You leave my Pension alone!

  7. #127


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 240 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    You're optomistic..... I think one of the reasons England have suffered in major tournaments has been due to media pressure to live up to a team that played nearly 50 years ago.

    The reason England haven't won a major tournament is that they simply haven't been good enough. Germany were better in 96 and there is no way England would have beaten France in 98, Zidane would have made our midfield look like a Sunday league team. The fact that there are young players coming through in this tournament shows that the premier league isn't killing off the chance for young players to come through. It also means that when they do come through they are playing against world class opposition that they will face when they go to major tournaments.
    Germany were the width of Gazza's boot away from being in the 3rd/4th play-off game. Bad choice of penalty-takers was the only reason they got through to the Final.

    In 98, Glenn Hoddle was more of a threat to our midfield than Zidane would have been.

  8. #128


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 240 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by APMerry View Post
    You leave my Pension alone!

    Wasn't your pension I was talking about, but I'll put yours on Rooney to fail (again) and to bad-mouth the fans (again) for booing him. Nice little double, if you can find a bookie to take it.

  9. #129


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 240 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Are you mad? EPL is killing off English talent in replacement for foreign talent. <SNIP>
    Yep, he's mad. If I had to name a club that's done for more British talent than the rest of the PL put together, it would be Southampton, as someone else already said. They also brought Alan Shearer through, twenty or more years ago, so they're not just a recent phenomenon.

  10. #130

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    87
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Yep, he's mad. If I had to name a club that's done for more British talent than the rest of the PL put together, it would be Southampton, as someone else already said. They also brought Alan Shearer through, twenty or more years ago, so they're not just a recent phenomenon.
    Add to that West Ham. Literally called 'The Academy of Football'.

    Only one player in the World Cup squad plays for a club outside England and that one is in Scotland. If only 1/3 of the EPL is made up of English players we are selecting from a very small circle.

  11. #131

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    174
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 72 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Wasn't your pension I was talking about, but I'll put yours on Rooney to fail (again) and to bad-mouth the fans (again) for booing him. Nice little double, if you can find a bookie to take it.
    Not sure i'd get great odd's on that...

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    99
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Yep, he's mad. If I had to name a club that's done for more British talent than the rest of the PL put together, it would be Southampton, as someone else already said. They also brought Alan Shearer through, twenty or more years ago, so they're not just a recent phenomenon.
    And I think you'll find that I was the person who said Southampton as I'm a Southampton fan. I don't think that you can blame all of Englands failings on foreign players coming to the premier league, I think you can also blame the fact that players who have been playing week in and week out in the premier league have not performed when they have put on an England shirt, I think you could also blame the media who put young players up on a pedestal when they emerge on the scene and tear them apart the minute they make a mistake. I think Hodgson is being very careful with the young players (sterling, Barkley, Shaw) I think they will play but I think they will come on in games instead of starting.

    Fans betting on players to fail doesn't help either, maybe it would be more beneficial to get behind the players that have been selected instead of saying they'll fail before they've kicked a ball in Brazil

  13. Thanks to aworkc from:

    nephilim (11th June 2014)

  14. #133
    Zoom7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    937
    Thank Post
    306
    Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by madurham View Post
    Only one player in the World Cup squad plays for a club outside England and that one is in Scotland. If only 1/3 of the EPL is made up of English players we are selecting from a very small circle.
    The trouble is that barely any world class English players play outside of England. We're having to pick from a small circle, because English players are being forced out by foreign imports.

    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Germany were the width of Gazza's boot away from being in the 3rd/4th play-off game. Bad choice of penalty-takers was the only reason they got through to the Final.
    Sorry to nitpick... but the Euros don't have a 3rd/4th play-off!

    But yes, England were FAR stronger than Germany in Euro 96. And it wasn't just a Gazza boot, it was an Anderton bullet to the post too! Imagine that, Darren "Sicknote" Anderton almost got us to the European Cup Final!

  15. #134


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 240 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    The trouble is that barely any world class English players play outside of England. We're having to pick from a small circle, because English players are being forced out by foreign imports.



    Sorry to nitpick... but the Euros don't have a 3rd/4th play-off!

    But yes, England were FAR stronger than Germany in Euro 96. And it wasn't just a Gazza boot, it was an Anderton bullet to the post too! Imagine that, Darren "Sicknote" Anderton almost got us to the European Cup Final!

    You're right, they don't, so Germany wouldn't even have got third place. Two things I remember, amongst all the other glittering England moments that year.......Sheringham's dummy and pass to Shearer for one of the goals against Holland and Psycho's face after he scored his penalty against Spain. Who do you see that kind of commitment and passion coming from in this year's squad?

    Oh well, <sigh>.................

  16. #135
    Zoom7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    937
    Thank Post
    306
    Thanked 83 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    The whole of Euro 96 had a feel good factor about it. Maybe some of that was thanks to home advantage, but mainly because that squad were a good team. It was also an era where playing for England was considered an honour as opposed to overtime at work after a club season which is where the players priorities seem to lie these days. There is clearly no honour in donning the shirts anymore.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to Stream world cup in HD from Freesat?
    By diagram in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14th June 2010, 03:35 PM
  2. Soccer World Cup :)
    By AntiThesis in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 20th May 2010, 05:22 AM
  3. Rugby World Cup 2007
    By kearton in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 3rd August 2007, 07:49 AM
  4. more camera views of world cup incident
    By ITWombat in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15th July 2006, 06:31 PM
  5. Blocking the BBC World Cup Video Streams.
    By Geoff in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th June 2006, 05:39 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •