+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam Ehm... team names were replaced with another generic team "rivalry" to protect myself and the company ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Ehm... team names were replaced with another generic team "rivalry" to protect myself and the company I'm representing?
    Ha well played!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Completely incorrect. I'm an England football fan who saw us win the World Cup (albeit on TV), saw that tackle by Bobby Moore, that save by Gordon Banks, that hat-trick by Lineker, and has watched the Premier League get so far up itself that we've failed to produce a World Class national team since 1996.

The biggest mistake the FA ever made was replacing Terry Venables (I know, I know......he wasn't replaced, he resigned. Read between the lines, then look at his replacement and what that replacement is doing now) for the 98 World Cup. With the opposition around at that time, and with the players he would have had available, I firmly believe that that was the best shot we'd had for years and, maybe, ever will have again.
    You're optomistic..... I think one of the reasons England have suffered in major tournaments has been due to media pressure to live up to a team that played nearly 50 years ago.

The reason England haven't won a major tournament is that they simply haven't been good enough. Germany were better in 96 and there is no way England would have beaten France in 98, Zidane would have made our midfield look like a Sunday league team. The fact that there are young players coming through in this tournament shows that the premier league isn't killing off the chance for young players to come through. It also means that when they do come through they are playing against world class opposition that they will face when they go to major tournaments.

Thank Post
    Lots of people seem to be getting excited about Welbeck's injury because it will force Roy to play Sterling/Barkley. In reality I imagine Milner will be his replacement, don't get me wrong I really rate Milner but I dont see what we've got to lose playing these young attacking players.

I do feel sorry for Welbeck if he does miss out, his record for England is not bad at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    Back to Welbeck his record is 8 goals in 24 games, 1 in 3, not bad for somebody who is mainly played out on the left wing for England, I personally think he's a decent player and will be a shame if he's injured for the first game.
    Slightly not as good as Jermaine Defoe, (19 in 55) who played the majority of his club career for teams that consistently created fewer chances per game than Welbeck's club, but he didn't even get on the plane.

Given the same scoring chance, in the same game, I'd put MY pension on Defoe hitting the back of the net, but I'd only put YOUR pension on Welbeck.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that there are young players coming through in this tournament shows that the premier league isn't killing off the chance for young players to come through. It also means that when they do come through they are playing against world class opposition that they will face when they go to major tournaments.
    Are you mad? EPL is killing off English talent in replacement for foreign talent. EPL has less than 1/3 of English players in the teams, compared to Germany, Spain, Italy etc where they have around 55% of the league flooded with home grown talent. EPL (and other leagues across europe) worked best when they were limited to the amount of international players they could have in a squad.

Reinstitute the Bosman rule for foreign players 3 non-domestic players + 2 assimilated players (people who have played for the team for 5 years or more, or had come through the youth team as a foreign national).
    Last edited by nephilim; 11th June 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Given the same scoring chance, in the same game, I'd put MY pension on Defoe hitting the back of the net, but I'd only put YOUR pension on Welbeck.
    You leave my Pension alone!

Thank Post
    You're optomistic..... I think one of the reasons England have suffered in major tournaments has been due to media pressure to live up to a team that played nearly 50 years ago.

The reason England haven't won a major tournament is that they simply haven't been good enough. Germany were better in 96 and there is no way England would have beaten France in 98, Zidane would have made our midfield look like a Sunday league team. The fact that there are young players coming through in this tournament shows that the premier league isn't killing off the chance for young players to come through. It also means that when they do come through they are playing against world class opposition that they will face when they go to major tournaments.
    Germany were the width of Gazza's boot away from being in the 3rd/4th play-off game. Bad choice of penalty-takers was the only reason they got through to the Final.

In 98, Glenn Hoddle was more of a threat to our midfield than Zidane would have been.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APMerry View Post
    You leave my Pension alone!

Wasn't your pension I was talking about, but I'll put yours on Rooney to fail (again) and to bad-mouth the fans (again) for booing him. Nice little double, if you can find a bookie to take it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Are you mad? EPL is killing off English talent in replacement for foreign talent. <SNIP>
    Yep, he's mad. If I had to name a club that's done for more British talent than the rest of the PL put together, it would be Southampton, as someone else already said. They also brought Alan Shearer through, twenty or more years ago, so they're not just a recent phenomenon.

Thank Post
    Yep, he's mad. If I had to name a club that's done for more British talent than the rest of the PL put together, it would be Southampton, as someone else already said. They also brought Alan Shearer through, twenty or more years ago, so they're not just a recent phenomenon.
    Add to that West Ham. Literally called 'The Academy of Football'.

Only one player in the World Cup squad plays for a club outside England and that one is in Scotland. If only 1/3 of the EPL is made up of English players we are selecting from a very small circle.

Thank Post
    Wasn't your pension I was talking about, but I'll put yours on Rooney to fail (again) and to bad-mouth the fans (again) for booing him. Nice little double, if you can find a bookie to take it.
    Not sure i'd get great odd's on that...

Thank Post
    And I think you'll find that I was the person who said Southampton as I'm a Southampton fan. I don't think that you can blame all of Englands failings on foreign players coming to the premier league, I think you can also blame the fact that players who have been playing week in and week out in the premier league have not performed when they have put on an England shirt, I think you could also blame the media who put young players up on a pedestal when they emerge on the scene and tear them apart the minute they make a mistake. I think Hodgson is being very careful with the young players (sterling, Barkley, Shaw) I think they will play but I think they will come on in games instead of starting.

Fans betting on players to fail doesn't help either, maybe it would be more beneficial to get behind the players that have been selected instead of saying they'll fail before they've kicked a ball in Brazil

13. Thanks to aworkc from:

nephilim (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madurham View Post
    Only one player in the World Cup squad plays for a club outside England and that one is in Scotland. If only 1/3 of the EPL is made up of English players we are selecting from a very small circle.
    The trouble is that barely any world class English players play outside of England. We're having to pick from a small circle, because English players are being forced out by foreign imports.

Germany were the width of Gazza's boot away from being in the 3rd/4th play-off game. Bad choice of penalty-takers was the only reason they got through to the Final.
    Sorry to nitpick... but the Euros don't have a 3rd/4th play-off!

But yes, England were FAR stronger than Germany in Euro 96. And it wasn't just a Gazza boot, it was an Anderton bullet to the post too! Imagine that, Darren "Sicknote" Anderton almost got us to the European Cup Final!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    The trouble is that barely any world class English players play outside of England. We're having to pick from a small circle, because English players are being forced out by foreign imports.

Sorry to nitpick... but the Euros don't have a 3rd/4th play-off!

But yes, England were FAR stronger than Germany in Euro 96. And it wasn't just a Gazza boot, it was an Anderton bullet to the post too! Imagine that, Darren "Sicknote" Anderton almost got us to the European Cup Final!

You're right, they don't, so Germany wouldn't even have got third place. Two things I remember, amongst all the other glittering England moments that year.......Sheringham's dummy and pass to Shearer for one of the goals against Holland and Psycho's face after he scored his penalty against Spain. Who do you see that kind of commitment and passion coming from in this year's squad?

Oh well, <sigh>.................

Thank Post
    The whole of Euro 96 had a feel good factor about it. Maybe some of that was thanks to home advantage, but mainly because that squad were a good team. It was also an era where playing for England was considered an honour as opposed to overtime at work after a club season which is where the players priorities seem to lie these days. There is clearly no honour in donning the shirts anymore.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast