+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 576
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; Welbeck's a waste of a squad place. So is Rooney. Why Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are there is beyond ...
  1. #106


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Welbeck's a waste of a squad place. So is Rooney. Why Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are there is beyond me. Stephen Caulker, even though he was relegated, is a much better defender than either one of those two, but they play for Man U and Caulker doesn't.

    I think this World Cup is going to show up, more than ever, the PL's fixation with itself and foreign players, to the detriment of the national team.

    What's more interesting is the shenanigans going on with FIFA, and the power struggle between Blatter and EUFA.

  2. #107

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,179
    Thank Post
    1,648
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    443
    3 teams I enjoy watching for their youth teams (which bring up home grown talent), Arsenal, Chelsea, and Tottenham. They all have great youth teams and plenty of up and coming English players.

    The trouble is, if they don't make the first team by 18, they likely wont get beyond the reserve team which is a pity as there is a lot of good young talent in their ranks.

  3. #108
    rickjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    460
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 49 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Welbeck's a waste of a squad place. So is Rooney. Why Phil Jones and Chris Smalling are there is beyond me. Stephen Caulker, even though he was relegated, is a much better defender than either one of those two, but they play for Man U and Caulker doesn't.

    I think this World Cup is going to show up, more than ever, the PL's fixation with itself and foreign players, to the detriment of the national team.

    What's more interesting is the shenanigans going on with FIFA, and the power struggle between Blatter and EUFA.
    Going to wildly assume you're either a Liverpool or City fan.

  4. #109
    Hawkeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    277
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    Going to wildly assume you're either a Liverpool or City fan.
    I just thought the same, I went with LFC (my team), City or Chelsea/Arse lol

  5. #110

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    113
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    3 teams I enjoy watching for their youth teams (which bring up home grown talent), Arsenal, Chelsea, and Tottenham. They all have great youth teams and plenty of up and coming English players.

    The trouble is, if they don't make the first team by 18, they likely wont get beyond the reserve team which is a pity as there is a lot of good young talent in their ranks.
    What about Southampton? We have consistently brought young players through for the last 25 years

  6. #111

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    113
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Rooneys a waste of a squad place..... Really? I reckon an Everton fan

  7. #112

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,179
    Thank Post
    1,648
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    What about Southampton? We have consistently brought young players through for the last 25 years
    Perhaps, but I dont get a chance to go to Southampton often to watch, I only go to the north london clubs as they're the closest that are entertaining.

  8. #113

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    113
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Perhaps, but I dont get a chance to go to Southampton often to watch, I only go to the north london clubs as they're the closest that are entertaining.
    They're worth a watch... Although I am rather biased

  9. #114
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Come now... this is one of the few months we can all get behind the same team and be friends.

  10. #115

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,086
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 384 Times in 311 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Come now... this is one of the few months we can all get behind the same team and be friends.
    Saying that on an international forum is dangerous! Ha!

  11. #116
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Saying that on an international forum is dangerous! Ha!
    Haha, fair point!

    Just looking forward to avoiding this in our household for a change.

    "Please stop cheering on the other team while I'm sat next to you."
    "Why?"
    "Because if they lose I'm going to direct all my angst at you."
    "But I hate Chelsea."
    "Yes but if they win I'll be happy which means you'll have a much nicer evening."
    "I'm a Leeds fan, I just can't cheer for Chelsea."
    "So you'd rather me be grouchy and annoyed with you than just keep that to yourself for 90 minutes?"
    "Exactly. Glad we've cleared that one up."

  12. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

    GREED (11th June 2014)

  13. #117

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,086
    Thank Post
    378
    Thanked 384 Times in 311 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Haha, fair point!

    Just looking forward to avoiding this in our household for a change.

    "Please stop cheering on the other team while I'm sat next to you."
    "Why?"
    "Because if they lose I'm going to direct all my angst at you."
    "But I hate Chelsea."
    "Yes but if they win I'll be happy which means you'll have a much nicer evening."
    "I'm a Leeds fan, I just can't cheer for Chelsea."
    "So you'd rather me be grouchy and annoyed with you than just keep that to yourself for 90 minutes?"
    "Exactly. Glad we've cleared that one up."
    And which side of that fence are you? Just so I know what degree of disgust to throw at you from now until the end of time?

  14. #118

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    113
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Back to Welbeck his record is 8 goals in 24 games, 1 in 3, not bad for somebody who is mainly played out on the left wing for England, I personally think he's a decent player and will be a shame if he's injured for the first game.

  15. #119
    SiliconAlley_Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    584
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 117 Times in 92 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    And which side of that fence are you? Just so I know what degree of disgust to throw at you from now until the end of time?
    Ehm... team names were replaced with another generic team "rivalry" to protect myself and the company I'm representing?

  16. #120


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,236
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 243 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
    Going to wildly assume you're either a Liverpool or City fan.
    Completely incorrect. I'm an England football fan who saw us win the World Cup (albeit on TV), saw that tackle by Bobby Moore, that save by Gordon Banks, that hat-trick by Lineker, and has watched the Premier League get so far up itself that we've failed to produce a World Class national team since 1996.

    The biggest mistake the FA ever made was replacing Terry Venables (I know, I know......he wasn't replaced, he resigned. Read between the lines, then look at his replacement and what that replacement is doing now) for the 98 World Cup. With the opposition around at that time, and with the players he would have had available, I firmly believe that that was the best shot we'd had for years and, maybe, ever will have again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to Stream world cup in HD from Freesat?
    By diagram in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14th June 2010, 03:35 PM
  2. Soccer World Cup :)
    By AntiThesis in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 20th May 2010, 05:22 AM
  3. Rugby World Cup 2007
    By kearton in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 3rd August 2007, 07:49 AM
  4. more camera views of world cup incident
    By ITWombat in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15th July 2006, 06:31 PM
  5. Blocking the BBC World Cup Video Streams.
    By Geoff in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 14th June 2006, 05:39 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •