+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam Exactly this. My reaction to watching England is a bit like watching the Office. Toe curling, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    Exactly this.

My reaction to watching England is a bit like watching the Office. Toe curling, awkward, cringe-inducing, hiding behind a pillow. The only difference is that England football induces despairing rather than amused laughter.

Haha, I like that analagy.... usually with England I moan and say we won't do that well and then the minute we score our first goal I lose it and convince myself that we are going to win the world cup! It's the hope that kills you, no hope no dissapointment but it will be really boring lol

2. Thanks to aworkc from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (9th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I just find our football to be mind numbingly boring.

With the high number of youngsters this year I'm hoping they are throwing this year away to give the next generation some early experience of international football. We've put out mediocre, old dogs for far too long.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't say that we are throwing this year away.... It's one of the best squads we've had for a while, I think the most importnt thing is that we actually have a bench that can change a game. Its always a gamble putting youngsters in but they do all play week in and week out in the premier league

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    Its always a gamble putting youngsters in
    I don't see it as a gamble, most of the 'old guard' didn't really deserve to keep their places as long as they did. Remember when you are young you have no fear, you are invincible. Could be what we need to make any decent progress.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I don't see it as a gamble, most of the 'old guard' didn't really deserve to keep their places as long as they did. Remember when you are young you have no fear, you are invincible. Could be what we need to make any decent progress.
    When you are young you are also naive and reckless, it may not be an issue for england but Beckham in '98, Rooney in '06 would say otherwise.... Even Sterling in the friendly against Equador got a bit too overexcited trying to win the ball back and got sent off.

Thank Post
    I think the strongest England teams we've had have been Italia 90, Euro 96 and France 98. Those teams were probably worthy of winning the tournament, the strongest of them being Euro 96. Since then, they've not been strong enough and have got gradually worse. The trouble I've always seen with England is that we have a squad of 11 individuals on the pitch, not a team.

I also agree with the statement above about the youngsters, it's the way to go. They handle the pressure a lot better than the old guard. Look at Rooney in Euro 2004, Owen in France 98. And look at the Germany team since they went through the mass change. Granted they haven't won anything yet, but they've been there or thereabouts!

Thank Post
    I also think in England it's club before country and the real passion seems to be playing club football, the England team just don't seem to gel like others. Having said that I am enjoying the fact that half the team has instagram now and you can actually see the sort of things they get up to together. The video of Ox doing the Sturridge dance was quality.

9. Thanks to APMerry from:

Zoom7000 (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I don't even care that England will inevitably let us down in the most painful way possible, probably by having a great/not awful 15 minute start to matches, getting the first goal in and then going into standard England mode, it's World Cup time and I'm excited.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I must admit I have been impressed with England the last few weeks. Not impressed at their football mind, but their hunger and willingness to 'have a go' which is coming through from the younger players like Barkely, Sterling et al.

I would rather go out having played well and not been boring and cautious, than be boring and still go out.

My big gripe however is with the English media... EVERY TIME we write our team off before we go, or 2 days before write some damning report or exclusive on one player has beat up another or slept with their dog or what not... How about get behind the team for just 3 weeks!

I think the only grace has been that Brazil is in such a state and FIFA is more corrupt than all of Africa combined, the papers don't have enough space to down us!

Thank Post
    Also this video, nail hit head

13. 2 Thanks to rickjames:

APMerry (10th June 2014), foofighterjim (10th June 2014)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 878 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Link: World Cup results to be shown on Tube platform displays - Transport - News - London Evening Standard

...The latest results and scorers will scroll across the screen in a 130-character message carried on the dot matrix boards as well as on service update boards on station concourses....

Thank Post
    Welbeck is a doubt for the Italy game.... I know a lot of people don't rate him but I think that's quite a blow. He's generally done very well for England and he can stretch teams as well as getting goals

Thank Post
    Even if he was fit I'd be seriously tempted to start Sterling then throw on Barkley after an hour or so...

Thank Post
    I think he'll have to start Sterling now, I've said before I think it's a gamble hopefully I'm proved wrong and I would love to see all the young players do well. The Italy game is vital to who goes through and I think brining Sterling on for Welbeck would have been ideal.

I hope Sterling can replicate his form for Liverpool in an England shirt, so many have failed to do exactly that when it's come to a major tournament

Thank Post
    Just put my bets on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast