+ Post New Thread
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; My local Coral bookies are offering a 200/1 that England will Qualify...In order for that too happen Italy will need ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My local Coral bookies are offering a 200/1 that England will Qualify...In order for that too happen Italy will need to beat Uruguay by atleast 2 goals, and England will need to beat Costa Rica by 3 goals.

I stuck £1 down on that. If I lose, meh, if I win, Wahey!

Thank Post
    IF we beat Costa Rica

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    In order for that too happen Italy will need to beat Uruguay by atleast 2 goals, and England will need to beat Costa Rica by 3 goals.
    That's not right our GD is -2 and Uruguay have -1. As long as they lose and we win we will finish above them. We could do with Italy winning by at least 3 tonight to bring Costa Rica GD down to -1 too.

Thank Post
    My local Coral bookies are offering a 200/1 that England will Qualify...In order for that too happen Italy will need to beat Uruguay by atleast 2 goals, and England will need to beat Costa Rica by 3 goals.

I stuck £1 down on that. If I lose, meh, if I win, Wahey!
    Blimey, that's worth a tenner, and I'm not even a gambling man.

Thank Post
    I just read a classic tweet on the Joe Coral website (looking for that bet of @nephilim's)...........

England have waited years to 'play like Spain' and during this World Cup they've finally achieved it....

Thank Post
    coral's online only offer 7/1 on England qualifying so something strange there? 125/1 to win the cup :-)
    Last edited by maark; 20th June 2014 at 02:20 PM.

Thank Post
    200-1, that cannot be right, the best odds I've found are 13-2..... There wouldn't be that big a difference

Thank Post
    Have scanned the thread and don't think anyone has posted this up yet; I think Chris Waddle has hit the issue perfectly on the head
    BBC Radio 5 live - In Short, Waddle on England: 'We never ever, ever learn'

We need the injection of some South American Flair / Spanish League Flair (Not Spanish National Team), less route 1/long balls that don't come off, more quick & short passes to build up the play with good movement, English football should be exciting not dull !
    Last edited by JamesBanks7; 20th June 2014 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    That's not right our GD is -2 and Uruguay have -1. As long as they lose and we win we will finish above them. We could do with Italy winning by at least 3 tonight to bring Costa Rica GD down to -1 too.
    Nope, Italy need to beat Uruguay by 2 goals to ensure that their GD is -3 so England don't finish bottom of the table, and England need a 3 goal margin to ensure they finish above Costa Rica on goal difference by +1

*edit* it was a typo, was not 200-1, was meant to be 20-1

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBanks7 View Post
    We need the injection of some South American Flair / Spanish League Flair (Not Spanish National Team), less route 1/long balls that don't come off, more quick & short passes to build up the play with good movement, English football should be exciting not dull !
    Watching the Germans this week they play more long ball than we do, it comes down to quality of the pass and the run. IE they do it with purpose, we do it because we run out of talent.

Thank Post
    Nope, Italy need to beat Uruguay by 2 goals to ensure that their GD is -3 so England don't finish bottom of the table, and England need a 3 goal margin to ensure they finish above Costa Rica on goal difference by +1
    We have -2 if we win we will have -1 at least. Uruguay have -1 if they lose they have -2 at best, therefore we would be above them. If Costa Rica lose by 3 tonight we just need to win to put them on -2.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Watching the Germans this week they play more long ball than we do, it comes down to quality of the pass and the run. IE they do it with purpose, we do it because we run out of talent.
    I think with the players we have, the quick pass game would suit our style as our average player age is dropping and we have a lot of players that are young and quick.
    However we are still a team of individuals; when these players go back to their clubs this season the majority will play great it's frustrating to see the lack of cohesion when they pull on the 3 lions shirt.

I was gutted to read a few weeks back about Josť Mourinho not going for the England job due to his wife's advice !
    Yes he is not everything but that is a major figure to have in your dressing room/training pitch and on the sidelines

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The trouble is, unlike the German Squad or the Spanish Squad or any other squad, England don't train enough together. The Germans and Spanish do 1 friendly a month in the down time (year after world cup or euros), England doesn't. In the run up, along side the qualifying games, they'll also throw friendlies into the mix. England rarely does.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Confused now.

GD: Uruguay -1, England, -2, Costa Rica + 2

If Italy beat Uruguay by one goal then Uruguay GD = -2. Therefore if we win against Costa Rica we won't be bottom (as we would have to score one more than we let in so England GD = -1). However to progress we need Costa Rica's GD over the Italy and England to be worse than ours, so what we need to win buy would depend on what Italy do tonight.

But its pretty far fetched anyway.

Edit: @foofighterjim posted the same while I was figuring it out
    Last edited by sparkeh; 20th June 2014 at 02:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBanks7 View Post
    I think with the players we have, the quick pass game would suit our style as our average player age is dropping and we have a lot of players that are young and quick.
    As my beloved Villa have proved, having young and quick players means nothing if they can't pass (or anything else) to the required standard in the first place. I fear this is the case with too many England plays too (albeit playing at a higher level).
    Last edited by foofighterjim; 20th June 2014 at 03:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread