+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; This! We know not everyone likes football but it gets boring seeing killjoys complaining about an event that is of ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This! We know not everyone likes football but it gets boring seeing killjoys complaining about an event that is of national interest whether they agree or not.

After watching last night I am not sure how well England will do this year. Bit of a downer, but I felt something was lacking and they did the usual grab the lead, let the foot off the gas and mess it all up routine. A fight in a friendly match though...double red card, they better not repeat that in the actual tournament!

Let's see how England fare against Honduras on Saturday's friendly.

Thank Post
    Sterlings challenge was a bit rash and showed his inexperience there. Valenacia's reaction was way over the top - I think if he hadn't of reacted like that both players would've stayed on the pitch!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    so this time next week I will be sitting in the lounge at Sydney airport waiting to board my flight to Rio...

Got 6 matches in 2 cities over 17 days...

Fancy Belgium as an outside bet, think Netherlands still a good option, but i think Brazil will win it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    FYI this thread is for opinions on who will win the World cup, not for people to say they hate it, it is boring etc
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, but we all like to have a good moan

Weren't The Sun running a page saying 'Just do us proud, lads!' re: the England team?
    Kinda defeatist attitude, 'eh? lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Safe Bet - Brazil
    Dark Horses - Belgium

Thank Post
    @visioN Yeah I think it might have been a yellow card just. Maybe Valencia was having a flashback to his broken leg.
    Last edited by yugo; 5th June 2014 at 10:31 AM.

Thank Post
    I think the double red card showed why sterling hasn't been starting games for England, he's still got that inexperience and in major tournaments players will try and get you sent off. I'm a Southampton fan and I think exactly the same with Luke Shaw, still to inexperienced for the big stage.
    I think last night showed that defensively we're not strong enough (although was a 2nd rate back 4) but going forward we do have a bit about us. I think we will get out of the group however I wouldn't mind being knocked out at the group stage if we play well, I just don't want a repeat of 2010 world cup of boring football and staggering through.

Thank Post
    Sterling showing his lack of maturity this time on the pitch... he has been embroiled in off the field drama for years, lets hope someone sorts this kid out hes got potential no doubt about that.

As for the World Cup its just about the only football I will watch on TV more for the other teams than England. I actually think Colombia might do something so I will be watching them real dark horse!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visioN View Post
    FYI this thread is for opinions on who will win the World cup, not for people to say they hate it, it is boring etc
    Tough
    Thread title and OP did not state that those who don't like football aren't allowed to express that fact

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I take it your presence in the thread means you are actually interested and want a regular daily digest via PM of all the World Cup action!

Thank Post
    I think Barkley looked okay but needs to learn to release the ball earlier to bring other players into the game, Joe Cole was similar when he was young but matured.

Colombia could be interesting although I think Falcao has been ruled out which will be a big blow for them. I did the world cup predictor earlier and I got Brazil v Germany in semi final 1 and Spain v Argentina in semi final 2. A Brazil v Argentina final in Brazil would be a great game

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Oh great - 5 weeks of hell!

I really, really REALLY hate football!
    I'm with you on this

Thank Post
    I literally can't wait for the world cup! I really don't fancy Brazil to win it, I think the winner will come from one of Spain,Germany or Netherlands. If anyone but Spain win it then I'm happy, that team is a bit too arrogant now.

Ox looks like he might be out which would be a big loss. I'd love to see him Barkley and Sterling as the attacking 3 behind Sturridge, The pace would terrify teams. What's everyone's ideal starting 11?

Mine:
    Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Barkley, Ox, Sturridge.
    Last edited by APMerry; 5th June 2014 at 12:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Just to clear a few things up here the actual bit about kicking a ball about - dont mind - I'l happily do that with my son and have a bit of fun

what I dont like is everything else that gets tagged onto it

The hatred ensued because you support team X, instead of team y - to the point that it divides entire families
    The hatred when you say you dont like football (Yep - I get this one a lot!)
    The ridiculous sums of money being paid to people - to simply run around a field and occasionally kick a ball about
    The fact that if a player/manager/club does well - they are embraced by their fans - but the first time one of them screws up - the same fans are calling for heads on plates
    The way it takes over people lives - Everything stops for it - TV shows are cancelled (or at best delayed), Colleagues are work stop and crowd round a monitor/tv whilst us non footy lot are expected to keep working (and occasionally shouted at when you dont!)

The over seriousness of the whole thing - its a GAME for pete sake!

This thread here pretty much sums up how people like myself feel about football...

That is all..

Thank Post
    Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Barkley, Sturridge

I would have Ox in ahead of Brakley if he's fit but it looks unlikely. I would have Sterling coming on about an hour or so in to inject a bit of pace but I still don't think he's ready to start games. Lambert coming on if we ever look like we are heading for penalties.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast