+ Post New Thread
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; Originally Posted by Danp Glad I did not waste my time watching the Iran v Nigeria game! Why? Both sides ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    Glad I did not waste my time watching the Iran v Nigeria game!
    Why? Both sides went crazy at each other and was a good game.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Ghana should of got more out of their game with the usa (i stupidly stayed up to watch it, regretting that now!)

Ghana's all round build up play was good, but the final ball was always either poorly executed or the wrong choice of pass, frustrating to watch, as i think individually they have a lot of talent in that team. It's the same story with most of the african teams too tbh...
    Agreed! I nearly woke up the house and neighbours when Ghana scored, only for the USA to get another one back.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

4. Thanks to nephilim from:

Danp (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Why? Both sides went crazy at each other and was a good game.
    Really? I caught about 10 mins and it looked dire. Watched a re-run of the Groves v Froch 2 fight instead.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh, first half Iran were going all guns blazing, they couldn't penetrate the defense, so played the long game and held up the ball. They stopped Nigeria in their tracks who I would have expected to win. Especially with Odemwingie playing for them. Iran have shown they are defensively a good side. They may have only gotten 1 point in the game, but it is a huge point for them. Argentina will obviously go through their group, but Iran could make it to the knockouts as it is no longer cut and dry for Nigeria.

Thank Post
    Most of the commentary seems to be poor this time round. I don't actually mind Clive and Andy, but Phil Neville was rather poor during the England game. I think worst so far was Jonathan Pearce and how he completely screwed up that goal line technology moment! Adrian Chiles must be the most battered man on the planet though, I used to feel sorry for him, but he's got gradually worse in the last few months!

I was amazed at how delighted people on Twitter got when Gary Bloom covered the Ivory Coast vs Japan 2am kick off. I don't think he was actually working for ITV and they were just using the FIFA world feed. But kudos to him, he covered the whole match without a co-commentator and it was a nice nostalgia moment to the days of Football Italia. Loved how he never once referred to Ivory Coast as Ivory Coast and instead stuck with Côte d'Ivoire!

I miss that good old days of John Motson and Barry Davies, although when you think about it, they were probably worse than the current crop!

I'd say that BBC's current main man Guy Mobray seems to be the best of the bunch, but he needs to be paired with a good co-commentator. Phil Neville was rather poor, Lawro is starting to lose it and Savage yesterday was a bit OTT, but not too bad... It was just a bit cringeworth when Mobray was telling him off for shouting!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Most of the commentary seems to be poor this time round. I don't actually mind Clive and Andy, but Phil Neville was rather poor during the England game. I think worst so far was Jonathan Pearce and how he completely screwed up that goal line technology moment! Adrian Chiles must be the most battered man on the planet though, I used to feel sorry for him, but he's got gradually worse in the last few months!

I was amazed at how delighted people on Twitter got when Gary Bloom covered the Ivory Coast vs Japan 2am kick off. I don't think he was actually working for ITV and they were just using the FIFA world feed. But kudos to him, he covered the whole match without a co-commentator and it was a nice nostalgia moment to the days of Football Italia. Loved how he never once referred to Ivory Coast as Ivory Coast and instead stuck with Côte d'Ivoire!

I miss that good old days of John Motson and Barry Davies, although when you think about it, they were probably worse than the current crop!

I'd say that BBC's current main man Guy Mobray seems to be the best of the bunch, but he needs to be paired with a good co-commentator. Phil Neville was rather poor, Lawro is starting to lose it and Savage yesterday was a bit OTT, but not too bad... It was just a bit cringeworth when Mobray was telling him off for shouting!
    Put the telly on, mute it, tune your radio to 5 Live, commentary is much better.

9. Thanks to sparkeh from:

nephilim (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. With the Germany game, the five live commentary was bang on, and was great to listen too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Put the telly on, mute it, tune your radio to 5 Live, commentary is much better.

I listen to 5Live through my pc and I find it's always slightly ahead or slightly behind the TV pictures, and also the constant flow of radio commentary gets a bit much after a while. I can actually see when 'Gerrard picks up the ball deep in his own half, looks for a pass forward but there's no movement so he passes it back to Hart and England build again from the back'.......sometimes it's nice just to watch the game with just crowd effect and no commentary. You know, like you would at an actual game?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My only memories of Gary Bloom were his commentary on Sega Worldwide Soccer on the Sega Saturn. best was when you did a foul by the half way line, and he shouted "THAT MUST BE A SPOT KICK!"

13. Thanks to Tesla from:

Zoom7000 (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I remember back in 2006 the cable red button options for BBC had:

BBC TV Commentary
    BBC 5 Live Commentary
    Comedy Commentary
    No Commentary - Stadium Atmosphere

I don't have cable anymore, so Freeview only has the 5 Live commentary option. It might be bad, but it doesn't bother me too much! I do like listening to the 5 Live commentary during the SuperBowl rather than those drab Americans!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Phil Neville was rather poor, Lawro is starting to lose it and Savage yesterday was a bit OTT, but not too bad... It was just a bit cringeworth when Mobray was telling him off for shouting!
    Trust me when I say that I really do dislike Savage with gusto however at least he showed some emotion and was getting into the match. Much more than can be said for most others.

What gets me is when commentators criticise goalkeepers suggesting they should be saving certain shots, such as the Ghana goal last night. That shot was hit hard and at quite close range, you can't react to those shots you have to gamble on where you think it is going.

Thank Post
    It went in at Tim Howards near post, he could have done better

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hardly...... hard, fast shot, guessed, unfortunately guessed wrong, keeper's can't dive both ways.

Thank Post
    games wise I think today is the best day so far..some real rip snorters

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread