+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; All the sensationalism over the goal line technology was predictable though, I thought. It worked, end of story, couldn't have ...

Thank Post
    All the sensationalism over the goal line technology was predictable though, I thought.

It worked, end of story, couldn't have had a better test as far as I'm concerned.

I missed most of the England game, I was driving back from seeing The Pogues at Thetford Forest. I got home and switched the TV on just as Rooney put that chance wide of the near post......a chance he would have buried in a United shirt or Fergie would have chucked a half-time cup of tea over him, I'm sure. Maybe that's what Hodgson needs to do. Taking the ball off Barkley then blazing it over the bar, what does he think he's on?

But hey, all the time we're still in it, we can still win it. Ra-ra-rah

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think What "confused" everyone (including Jonathan Pearce, who was awfully bad last night) was the fact they showed it to be no goal at first, when it hit the post, then no one paid attention to it carrying on and showing the keepers mistake, fumbling it in to his own goal.

Honestly though, without Technology, i don't think that would of been given as a goal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    All the sensationalism over the goal line technology was predictable though, I thought.

It worked, end of story, couldn't have had a better test as far as I'm concerned.

I missed most of the England game, I was driving back from seeing The Pogues at Thetford Forest. I got home and switched the TV on just as Rooney put that chance wide of the near post......a chance he would have buried in a United shirt or Fergie would have chucked a half-time cup of tea over him, I'm sure. Maybe that's what Hodgson needs to do. Taking the ball off Barkley then blazing it over the bar, what does he think he's on?

But hey, all the time we're still in it, we can still win it. Ra-ra-rah
    It was stupid. I don't understand why there was any confusion. The first signal of "NO GOAL" was to show that Benzema's shot hadn't crossed the line. Therefore, no goal. However, the second signal showed "GOAL" as it had gone in after hitting the goal keeper. Therefore, own goal. Jonathan Pearce went absolutely potty, but there was no farce whatsoever. If anything, it showed the system was perfect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People were all over facebook saying Rooney should be dropped. In short, no he shouldn't.

Point 1: Rooney scored more goals in the qualifiers than any other England player
    Point 2: Rooney has set up more goals in 3 world cups than all other England players combined over the last 3 world cups
    Point 3: Rooney is the 5th highest goal scorer for England with only Michael Owen being better from the last 15 years.
    Point 4: As a number 10, his job is to play ahead of the midfield but behind the striker. His job is to score and to assist, he does both perfectly fine.

His issue is that he is greedy however, and should never have taken the ball from Barkley and shot, however Barkley was running into 3 Italians and stood no chance at passing or shooting so Rooney did him a favour, however Rooney would have been better to pass the ball to the left and have it whipped in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    It was stupid. I don't understand why there was any confusion. The first signal of "NO GOAL" was to show that Benzema's shot hadn't crossed the line. Therefore, no goal. However, the second signal showed "GOAL" as it had gone in after hitting the goal keeper. Therefore, own goal. Jonathan Pearce went absolutely potty, but there was no farce whatsoever. If anything, it showed the system was perfect.
    Yes, but was there really the need to show the no goal instance in the first place? Just show that it crossed the line, FIFA can argue about who scored later.

Thank Post
    Rooney left Baines on his own far too many times, hence why that second one actually happened. Not Baines' brightest moment but it's not like he could particularly do much about it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    People were all over facebook saying Rooney should be dropped. In short, no he shouldn't.

Point 1: Rooney scored more goals in the qualifiers than any other England player
    Point 2: Rooney has set up more goals in 3 world cups than all other England players combined over the last 3 world cups
    Point 3: Rooney is the 5th highest goal scorer for England with only Michael Owen being better from the last 15 years.
    Point 4: As a number 10, his job is to play ahead of the midfield but behind the striker. His job is to score and to assist, he does both perfectly fine.

His issue is that he is greedy however, and should never have taken the ball from Barkley and shot, however Barkley was running into 3 Italians and stood no chance at passing or shooting so Rooney did him a favour, however Rooney would have been better to pass the ball to the left and have it whipped in.
    Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick in the Final in 1966. Should we bring him back?

The qualifiers took the best part of two years to complete, and ended last October. Rooney's form now is not the form he showed last season. Jermaine Defoe scored more goals than Sturridge during the qualifiers, but as I've already said, he didn't even make it onto the plane.

We'll never know what would have happened if Barkley had kept hold of the ball. I'm not saying he would have scored or opened up the defence. I'm saying that we'll never know. What we do know, is that Rooney blazed it over the bar.

Rooney consistently hasn't performed in the Finals....World Cup or Euros. He might just not have the Tournament mentality, you know.

Thank Post
    Did you see Rooney off the ball? For the most part he was in no man's land, not near an Italian yet not in a position where he was available to receive a good pass. Yes he made the final pass for Sturridge to score, but it was Stirling who made a cracking pass to Rooney.

I do think Rooney has a place in the team because of his name, he does not play the same for England as he does for Man Utd.
    Last edited by Danp; 16th June 2014 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post

Regarding Point 1: He has never scored at a World Cup; he has consistently failed to perform. He missed the chance to equalise and he missed badly. It was a close game and you have to be able to take your chances at this level, just like Balotelli did...

Regarding Points 2 & 3: That's the past, the team needs to be selected on current form and he just isn't delivering.

Regarding Point 4: He was given a job on the left and he didn't do it. Leighton Baines had a Hell of a job dealing with Darmian and Candreva because Rooney consistently didn't pick them up and support Baines like he should have done. There were countless times when Rooney should have cut out the pass to those guys but he didn't and they terrorised us all night.

I think its time we dropped Rooney.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Regarding Point 4: He was given a job on the left and he didn't do it. Leighton Baines had a Hell of a job dealing with Darmian and Candreva because Rooney consistently didn't pick them up and support Baines like he should have done. There were countless times when Rooney should have cut out the pass to those guys but he didn't and they terrorised us all night.

I think its time we dropped Rooney.
    Okay so if Sturridge played on the left and didn't perform then we drop him? If Sterling played in a holding roll in midfield and didn't perform you drop him?

Play rooney in his best position and he will perform, Rooney missed a chance... He also set up a goal. Rooney is being used as a scapegoat already which is ridiculous. Funny how nobody is mentioning Glen Johnson who continously lost the ball in the italians half, Gerrard who didn't really get into the game.... As always England fans jump onto finding negatives and blaiming one player. At the end of the day we played well. If we play like that against Uruguay and Costa Rica we will win both games.

The most positive thing I saw in that game was that with 20 minutes to go we didn't start punting the ball long hoping for the best we kept trying to play football and trying to find a way through which is refreshing. We just came up short against a good Italian side.

11. Thanks to aworkc from:

nephilim (16th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Rooney did have a poor game, but so would any other player if they were played out of position. I think defence was where we were poorest. The lack of Ashley Cole at left back was were we really suffered, Leighton Bains just isn't at the same level for me personally yet and the fact that he had Rooney out of position in front of him only made matters worse.

The trouble is Rooney's poor tournament form is showing. I would say give him 1 more game, in his correct position and see how it goes, but the next game is must win, so it's a tough decision.

That corner summed his day up though!

13. Thanks to Zoom7000 from:

nephilim (16th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Rooney did have a poor game, but so would any other player if they were played out of position. I think defence was where we were poorest. The lack of Ashley Cole at left back was were we really suffered, Leighton Bains just isn't at the same level for me personally yet and the fact that he had Rooney out of position in front of him only made matters worse.

The trouble is Rooney's poor tournament form is showing. I would say give him 1 more game, in his correct position and see how it goes, but the next game is must win, so it's a tough decision.

That corner summed his day up though!
    I agree with you completely, As mentioned before I'm a southampton fan but I would much rather had Ashley COle go to the World Cup than Luke Shaw

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok so say Rooney can only play in his favourite position, who is currently playing worse than him to warrant him being played there rather than them...erm...no one.

If Rooney can't be played in any other position and he, currently, isn't the best option in his preferred position then he has to be dropped, right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Ok so say Rooney can only play in his favourite position, who is currently playing worse than him to warrant him being played there rather than them...erm...no one.

If Rooney can't be played in any other position and he, currently, isn't the best option in his preferred position then he has to be dropped, right?
    How do you know Rooney isn't the best in that position as he isn't being given the opportunity to play there.

Personally after watching the Uruguay game I would play Sterling down the right wing and Welbeck.... Sterling will run past the uruguay left back for fun and Welbeck has the ability to track back on the left. This will create space for Roooney and Sturridge through the middle

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Rooney consistently hasn't performed in the Finals....World Cup or Euros. He might just not have the Tournament mentality, you know.
    Being the 5th highest of all time also isn't much when most of your goals are against San Marino, Switzerland, Bulgaria and Montegro.

The CL is at a much higher level than the EPL. He has averaged 3 goals a year in Europe. Maybe, just maybe he is over-hyped.

18. 2 Thanks to Theblacksheep:

nephilim (16th June 2014), sparkeh (16th June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread