+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, World Cup! in General; There isn't, and they should all, with one or two exceptions, be ashamed of themselves. To think what I and ...

Thank Post
    There isn't, and they should all, with one or two exceptions, be ashamed of themselves. To think what I and many other members of this forum, I'm sure, would give to have worn the Three Lions (either/or the Welsh Dragon, in my case) in anger. In unpaid anger, even.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aworkc View Post
    And I think you'll find that I was the person who said Southampton as I'm a Southampton fan. I don't think that you can blame all of Englands failings on foreign players coming to the premier league, I think you can also blame the fact that players who have been playing week in and week out in the premier league have not performed when they have put on an England shirt, I think you could also blame the media who put young players up on a pedestal when they emerge on the scene and tear them apart the minute they make a mistake. I think Hodgson is being very careful with the young players (sterling, Barkley, Shaw) I think they will play but I think they will come on in games instead of starting.

Fans betting on players to fail doesn't help either, maybe it would be more beneficial to get behind the players that have been selected instead of saying they'll fail before they've kicked a ball in Brazil
    The media certainly, but we get the media we deserve. Don't buy the trash newspapers, don't subscribe on-line and one day, we'll get the media we want.

You've mentioned the very reason why I don't think Rooney should be starting, non-performance in an England shirt. When he gets behind his country and performs the same way he does for Man U, then he'll be worth a starting place. But he doesn't, he hasn't, and he prefers to bad-mouth money-paying fans for booing him. His comments to the camera in 2010, while walking off at the end of the game, I think it was against Algeria, were disingenuous and showed what an over-paid, spoiled brat he really is, and he hasn't changed at all in the interim. Did he not realise that most of the fans booing him had paid probably their next three years salaries to make the trip half-way round the world to support England, or did he just not care?

Why is it the fans that always have to 'get behind the team'? Why don't the players give the fans something to 'get behind' first? They ought to try it, perhaps they'd get the same level of support that the Euro 96 team enjoyed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    The media certainly, but we get the media we deserve. Don't buy the trash newspapers, don't subscribe on-line and one day, we'll get the media we want.

You've mentioned the very reason why I don't think Rooney should be starting, non-performance in an England shirt. When he gets behind his country and performs the same way he does for Man U, then he'll be worth a starting place. But he doesn't, he hasn't, and he prefers to bad-mouth money-paying fans for booing him. His comments to the camera in 2010, while walking off at the end of the game, I think it was against Algeria, were disingenuous and showed what an over-paid, spoiled brat he really is, and he hasn't changed at all in the interim. Did he not realise that most of the fans booing him had paid probably their next three years salaries to make the trip half-way round the world to support England, or did he just not care?

Why is it the fans that always have to 'get behind the team'? Why don't the players give the fans something to 'get behind' first? They ought to try it, perhaps they'd get the same level of support that the Euro 96 team enjoyed.
    They haven't started yet so why not support them, if they perform badly then fine have a go at them.

Rooney was poor in 2010 but to say he's not performed in an England shirt is a bit over the top, he's already got 39 goals for England and if it wasn't for him we wouldn't be going to the world cup as his goal scoring record in qualifiers is oustanding.

I agree totally that what he did in 2010 was disgraceful and I'm not a massive fan of Wayne Rooney but he has got the ability to hurt teams at a major tournament. I think Rooneys career will be looked back on as a dissapointment because he showed so much promise and for some reason never really became the player he could have been. I do believe part of that is that for club and country rooney hasn't been played in the position that suits him best which is playing off the striker. He's played up front or out on the wings. In 2004 when we had Owen up front and Rooney was given the freeedom to play off him he was outstanding and teams didn't know what to do with him.

I know players are paid unbelievable amounts of money so should be expected to cope with the pressure of playing at a world cup. Ultimately though they are human. I've previously posted on this topic that I would be happy if England went out in the group trying to play decent football and actually going for it instead of dragging our way through to a quarter final playing dull football and then going out with a wimper.

I think the future is bright though. Sterling, Barkley, chamberlaine, Shaw, Stones, J Rodriguez (who i think would have gone to the world cup had he not got injured, although as previously mentioned I am a biased Saints fan).

Thank Post
    Also I completely agree with what you said about the newspapers

Thank Post
    I think the future is bright though. Sterling, Barkley, chamberlaine, Shaw, Stones, J Rodriguez (who i think would have gone to the world cup had he not got injured, although as previously mentioned I am a biased Saints fan).
    The trouble is, since 1998, the future was always bright and then kinda just fizzled out. Owen was the prospect of 1998 - 2002, Becks was on top form (especially that qualifier against Greece) where no one except him bothered to turn up! And that is the problem, most of the players just don't give a crap. The same applies to the current crop of bright young stars who will inevitably become overpaid primadonnas because they got a World Cup call up.

As someone mentioned already, there really needs to be a regime change in the EPL's way of thinking when it comes to home grown talent and the number of allowed foreign players in a lineup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    The trouble is, since 1998, the future was always bright and then kinda just fizzled out. Owen was the prospect of 1998 - 2002, Becks was on top form (especially that qualifier against Greece) where no one except him bothered to turn up! And that is the problem, most of the players just don't give a crap. The same applies to the current crop of bright young stars who will inevitably become overpaid primadonnas because they got a World Cup call up.

As someone mentioned already, there really needs to be a regime change in the EPL's way of thinking when it comes to home grown talent and the number of allowed foreign players in a lineup.
    I think it comes down to how they're managed.... I think Roy is a good manager to keep players feet on the ground. I don't think you can tar them all with the same brush. When Luke Shaw got his call up for a friendly against Denmark he was in tears so it clearly meant something to him. I think the advantage is that their seems to be some healthy competition for places. Previously that hasn't happened so players have walked into the time and not given it their all because they simply haven't had to. 6 months ago I don't think anyone would have expected Lallana and Henderson to be starting in the first game of the world cup.

The problem with all the initiatives to bring through young players get exploited as the big teams will bring foreign players in at a younger age to get round it. There are already initiatives in place to limit the number of foreign players but there will always be loopholes and the punishments are nowhere near severe enough. Same as with the financial fair play rules, PSG broke them and have now signed David Luiz for 40m.

I don't dispute the number of foreign players in the EPL affects the national team, but I also don't think it's the only contributing factor.

Thank Post
    I think it comes down to how they're managed.... I think Roy is a good manager to keep players feet on the ground.
    This is also the case. I think we've lacked a strong England manager for an awfully long time. The way they've been playing under Roy so far isn't really filling anyone with any sort of confidence. Although very unlikely, I would really love to see a Jose Mourinho/Guus Hiddink figure manage the England team and see how we do under some proper managerial direction.

I know before Sven there was always a stigma against a foreign manager, but personally, I just don't think we've had the correct person in place. And I don't understand giving the role to the first English bloke that seems to be available. Honestly, what did Taylor, Hoddle and McLaren ever achieve at managerial level to make them decent candidates for the role?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    This is also the case. I think we've lacked a strong England manager for an awfully long time. The way they've been playing under Roy so far isn't really filling anyone with any sort of confidence. Although very unlikely, I would really love to see a Jose Mourinho/Guus Hiddink figure manage the England team and see how we do under some proper managerial direction.
    That's exactly why they got Capello in and he lead us to what I personally think was our worst ever performance in a world cup.....

I think Roy is a decent manager, he can't get the players playing attacking pressing football in that heat, they need to keep possesion and pass the ball around the back four and midfield and take their chances when they get them.

Thank Post
    Happy 6 weeks, everybody.

10. 2 Thanks to rickjames:

APMerry (12th June 2014), Zoom7000 (12th June 2014)

Thank Post
    So... Easy win for Brazil tonight? Or will Modric and co throw a spanner in to the works?

Thank Post
    I think Brazil will win comfortably tonight, they'll be so up for it. Also.... had the draw for the sweepstakes at work yesterday and got Argentina! Dark horses.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't say Argentina are Dark Horses, they're 2nd Favourites.... I think it will be a comfortable Brazil win tonight

Thank Post
    Just got Mexico in the sweeps...meh

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2nd sweepstakes...got Chile.

Couldn't believe the luck of 1 lady, she got Brazil in the first one, and Argentina and Germany in the 2nd one. Just couldn't believe her luck!

Thank Post
    I wouldn't say Argentina are Dark Horses, they're 2nd Favourites....
    Okay maybe Dark Horses is not the right description, but there doesn't seem to be any pressure on them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast