+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Won a kit guru competition however in General; Originally Posted by nephilim Well the graphics card, mobo and psu are fantastic and should last easily 5 years or ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Well the graphics card, mobo and psu are fantastic and should last easily 5 years or more for the usage you've described. How much are you able to put away? Also remember prices have fluctuations so what is good now might not be good in 6 months in terms of price, however as tech progresses the cost for 'outdated' tech gets cheaper.

Thankfully in your circumstances you have a great base to work from!

RAM wise if I upgrade mine anytime soon you can have a 4gb stick for half the current cost :-)
    Usung that pc parts picker tonight to see how much I need to save in total

Any sugestions on a keyboard + mouse. I used to have the keyboard and mouse combo by logitech mx5 which I loved other than pairing was a pita. Most likely go with usb cabled but so much choices on all components

Thank Post

Won a kit guru competition however

How would that G3258 special edition cpu do with the tasks im trying to do ?

Can leave doing video transcoding for now
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 7th June 2014 at 09:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Intels new chips have transcoding extensions built in http://www.whitneyland.com/2010/09/i...anscoding.html but so do the other newer gpus.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    How would that G3258 special edition CPU do with the tasks I'm trying to do?
    I don't think a dual-core CPU is going to cut it for gaming over the next couple of years, especially as more and more games are ported from the Xbox One and PS4 to the PC. What do you think @SYNACK / @nephilim?

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Can leave doing video transcoding for now
    You can still do video transcoding with a Core i5.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Intel's new chips have transcoding extensions built in
    Intel's CPUs - from the Core i3 up - have included QuickSync support since Sandy Bridge (c. Q3 2011). However, the quality of the videos it produces has regressed with Haswell.

As the article below mentions, QuickSync is great at encoding videos for mobile devices where quality is not as important since it's very fast. If I was transcoding Blu-rays to watch on a PC or HDTV I would still use x264 though.

QuickSync Gets Open Source Support, Regresses in Quality AnandTech

Last edited by Arthur; 8th June 2014 at 12:46 AM.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (8th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree, games are an area where more cores are better. Two cores were eaten several years ago and with better Ai and design principles going in you will want more, even the xb1 with eight cores offloads a bunch of threads in forza and titanfall to azure. PC games usually try to onboard more of the load so more cores the better. The turbo boost is also handy for some things that hit a single thread hard. I would probably go for a top or near top of the line i5 if concerned with cost - that's what I got for my dev box - or an i7 if you are wanting to hit the gaming hard.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (8th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I agree, games are an area where more cores are better. Two cores were eaten several years ago and with better Ai and design principles going in you will want more, even the xb1 with eight cores offloads a bunch of threads in forza and titanfall to azure. PC games usually try to onboard more of the load so more cores the better. The turbo boost is also handy for some things that hit a single thread hard. I would probably go for a top or near top of the line i5 if concerned with cost - that's what I got for my dev box - or an i7 if you are wanting to hit the gaming hard.
    Looks like the 4690K then. Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,965 Posts
    What do you think to this spec @mac_shinobi?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/GMk9t6

The processor should get a bit cheaper in a couple of months if the i5-4670K and i7-4770k were anything to go by. If you need a bigger SSD, the Crucial MX100 is only 10 to 20 more than a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO.

I haven't included a monitor btw.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    What do you think to this spec @mac_shinobi?

Asus GeForce GTX 760, Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

The processor should get a bit cheaper in a couple of months if the i5-4670K and i7-4770k were anything to go by. If you need a bigger SSD, the Crucial MX100 is only 10 to 20 more than a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO.

I haven't included a monitor btw.
    @Arthur

1) Looks good - just curious ref a few things

A) If the cpu prices go down would I be better getting a 4960K i5 for 183 or if the i7 4770K goes down enough, would I be better getting the 4770K i7 cpu instead of the devils canyon i5 ??

B) I was hoping for the 250gb 840 evo

C) Most important thing - Need a suggestion ref a 22" monitor ( possibly a little smaller ) as I would prefer a smaller but better quality monitor than a 24" one for more money

PC Part Picker I have put together ( not sure what the case is like ) and I have left off the screen, keyboard and mouse as not sure which ones to get.

NZXT Phantom 240 - NZXT Minus Screen / KB + Mouse - RenegadeMe's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

without a screen, keyboard and mouse comes to : 454.16

Although maybe a little cheaper if I went with the 120gb Samsung 840 evo instead of the 250 one ??

Edited - Just noticed that the 1TB WD RE3 is 59 instead of the 35 it showed a few days ago

The original parts list I got suggested was the below

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/RenegadeMe/saved/G6yV3C

Although with the price of the 1tb drive having gone up , maybe swap it for a 2tb Toshiba ( like you suggested instead of the 1tb WD RE3 ) ??

That is still excluding a screen , keyboard and mouse though, Also ignore the CPU in that part list as still trying to decide which cpu as per above ref the prices going down due to devils canyon etc
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th June 2014 at 08:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Something IPS, I got a stack of 23" hp pavilion ones like the 27xi or the 20fi when they were on special and they are fantastic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the monitor, speak to @CPLTD. They sorted me a TV which works as a monitor as well, and is great (has freeview too! haha)

13. Thanks to nephilim from:

mac_shinobi (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    For the monitor, speak to @CPLTD. They sorted me a TV which works as a monitor as well, and is great (has freeview too! haha)
    @CPLTD - which monitor and how much, also how much for the other parts I am after, just wondering if they could do a bundle deal , that way getting everything from one place , one lot of shipping costs etc ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yea, a decent tv will ips so will have the decent colour reproduction and hopefully led backlighting for long life and low power usage.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (10th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Yea, a decent tv will ips so will have the decent colour reproduction and hopefully led backlighting for long life and low power usage.
    @SYNACK @Arthur or anyone else @seawolf

Hardware for the computer I have pretty much sorted out just suggestion on which TV , am hoping for a 40" that is IPS or decent screen , only need 1080p and around the 400 UK Pound mark and also a suggestion on which cordless / wireless keyboard and mouse to get.

Telly wise am going to have my Desktop in our bedroom and use a cordless / wireless keyboard and mouse ( will use the telly as a computer screen ) for learning things so server OS stuff / Visualization and then also gaming and also use the telly as a telly.

Ideally be good if its a smart tv , not sure if 3D would be good or not ??

Looking to get this off of ebuyer.com as they seem to have a large variety of tellys and the other items I require and they also do finance which I will most likely have to do / use

Thanks

BUMP
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th June 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use a Logitech k400r in my room for my little dev box, the trackpad is no good for gaming but you can add a different mouse. Was looking at the backlit wireless variety but they are very expensive.

As to a TV, if it is always going to have a PC hooked up to it being a smart one may not matter that much as the PC will do everything but it can be nice having another option. Personally I went for a semi passive PSU so that it has no fans on unless it hits about 70% capacity and a nice heavy case to dampen sound so it is quiet enough to run without disturbing anyone.

For 400 in that size it will probably not be a smart TV but you seem to have the choice of three big brands LG LG 42LB550V 42" Full HD Freeview HD LED TV | Ebuyer.com , Samsung Samsung 42" Series 5 LED TV - TVs | Ebuyer.com and Panasonic Panasonic 42" TX-42A400B Full HD LED TV | Ebuyer.com

I'd see if you can go and check them all out and see which one looks and sounds the best to you. One thing for smart tvs is that you can control them over the network so you can use a smartphone or computer generally as a remote rather than messing about with another box of batteries.

19. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (17th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I use a Logitech k400r in my room for my little dev box, the trackpad is no good for gaming but you can add a different mouse. Was looking at the backlit wireless variety but they are very expensive.

As to a TV, if it is always going to have a PC hooked up to it being a smart one may not matter that much as the PC will do everything but it can be nice having another option. Personally I went for a semi passive PSU so that it has no fans on unless it hits about 70% capacity and a nice heavy case to dampen sound so it is quiet enough to run without disturbing anyone.

For 400 in that size it will probably not be a smart TV but you seem to have the choice of three big brands LG LG 42LB550V 42" Full HD Freeview HD LED TV | Ebuyer.com , Samsung Samsung 42" Series 5 LED TV - TVs | Ebuyer.com and Panasonic Panasonic 42" TX-42A400B Full HD LED TV | Ebuyer.com

I'd see if you can go and check them all out and see which one looks and sounds the best to you. One thing for smart tvs is that you can control them over the network so you can use a smartphone or computer generally as a remote rather than messing about with another box of batteries.
    I was looking at this one : LG 42LB580V 42" Full HD Smart TV - Televisions | Ebuyer.com

There much difference between this one and the 42LB550V ??

Good suggestion ref looking at them in person first and then deciding

Smart TV's - just curious , can you stream videos / music etc to them via plex or the likes or due to only having one smart tv - is there any reason or benefit to getting or having a smart tv ?

Good ref using your smart phone to control them - I like the idea of that !!
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th June 2014 at 02:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast