+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Seriously Apple! Enough! in General; I am so done with Apple stuff... I tried but it is unmanageable junk. After months of juggling just to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries

Angry Seriously Apple! Enough!

I am so done with Apple stuff... I tried but it is unmanageable junk.

After months of juggling just to get a hold of A working VPP account and some credit to go on it plus struggling to keep their flimsy pile of simpering junk they call a 'Server app' going they have pulled yet more stupidity. After generating the third token for the VPP to get Profile manager fired up again and running another pile of updates on the now snail pace - brand new - Mac mini, seriously I don't know how something with the spec it has can go that slow. They now have a nice little game where you can no longer create an iTunes id without adding money of some sort, not even with the hack. So to use it you have to waste half your budget on iTunes cards that ideally will never be used as it should all go through their barely working VPP.

Share an AppleID... sure that used to work but now even VPP push requires a signing on each app even when pre signed in via a backup so back to square one after about $2000 worth of folly.

If I ever get handed another stack of iPads I will straight up walk out rather than deal with them. Working with them is literally not worth employment.

2. 11 Thanks to SYNACK:

AButters (5th June 2014), arh_3000 (5th June 2014), CHR1S (6th June 2014), Chrisd342 (25th June 2014), hallb15 (5th June 2014), Jobos (3rd June 2014), lionsl2005 (20th June 2014), mthomas08 (4th June 2014), Oaktech (4th June 2014), speckytecky (3rd June 2014), stevenlong1985 (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm struggling with VPP. Haven't got the ipads yet though. Might just do it all on the dodge out of spite!!

4. Thanks to Joanne from:

SYNACK (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Check out my new iPad storage container!

Seriously Apple! Enough!-tashr.jpg

6. 17 Thanks to APMerry:

arh_3000 (5th June 2014), CHR1S (6th June 2014), DannyG555 (18th June 2014), Garacesh (4th June 2014), Gatt (4th June 2014), gtg93 (5th June 2014), hallb15 (5th June 2014), hardtailstar (3rd June 2014), joe90bass (3rd June 2014), lionsl2005 (20th June 2014), mthomas08 (4th June 2014), nephilim (6th June 2014), Novalee (6th June 2014), PICNIC (13th June 2014), speckytecky (3rd June 2014), stevenlong1985 (6th June 2014), SYNACK (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd prefer to feed them through this at this stage Seriously Apple! Enough!-studio-woodchipper.jpg

Before anyone asks this is not behind the red door because Apple and their followers need to see it, it needs to be indexed.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 3rd June 2014 at 03:56 PM.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

gtg93 (5th June 2014)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the issue here really.

iPads are designed for individual users.

It looks to me like you are trying to apply Microsoft shared software installation work practices to a software ecosystem that is designed for individual users to manage their devices not the Network team.

We've used iPads for teachers here and don't touch them after getting them on the wireless. Seems to work really well so far.

If I ever rolled them out to students it would be on a 1:1 basis starting with certain year or class groups. They would then be responsible for their own device software app installs.
    Last edited by zag; 3rd June 2014 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @zag My argument with that way of "managing" them is, if the teachers are left on their own to work an iPad, there is a huge loss of control over them, and no way to know who's putting what apps on what ipad etc, and could potentially blow huge holes in the budget. ie a teacher gets moved to a different year etc, or gets given a previous ipads with apps not to their personal taste, and then have to downlaod / buy more apps....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I don't see the issue here really.

iPads are designed for individual users.

It looks to me like you are trying to apply Microsoft shared software installation work practices to a software ecosystem that is designed for individual users to manage their devices not the Network team.

We've used iPads for teachers here and don't touch them after getting them on the wireless. Seems to work really well so far.

If I ever rolled them out to students it would be on a 1:1 basis starting with certain year or class groups. They would then be responsible for their own device software app installs.
    Yes but try conveying that to the thick headed bags of human garbage who pedal this rubbish to schools promising the world then disappearing. Apple's sales team to education needs to be put to death.

Thank Post
    I would have to stand up and say that We don't seem to have those problems here. We have approx. 140 iPads and have just rolled out 65 to staff so that they can prepare for our 1-1 deployment next Easter.

We sen them all home with the staff to create their own Apple ID, having prepared it in Configurator to enrol with Meraki and a crib sheet of very step by step instructions on how to set up their school email (exchange) and link their apple ID to the schools fro app deployment. They set up their iCloud account first as that way they are not asked for their credit card details, then when they go into the app store they can click "none" when they are asked for them.

I'm not saying that there were no prblems and teething issues but they were mainly user related and easily fixed. I cant say I even looked at profile manager as an option but meraki is free and had the adaptability that I was looking for.

Steve

Thank Post
    I feel your pain. Our whole support team feel your pain. Have a Chocolate Finger.

14. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

SYNACK (3rd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Standing up as well here...

Just completed 1500 iPads, enrolled and deployed using Lightspeed. It took 3 days with lots of planning.....works like a dream

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    @zag My argument with that way of "managing" them is, if the teachers are left on their own to work an iPad, there is a huge loss of control over them, and no way to know who's putting what apps on what ipad etc, and could potentially blow huge holes in the budget. ie a teacher gets moved to a different year etc, or gets given a previous ipads with apps not to their personal taste, and then have to downlaod / buy more apps....

My argument here is.....managed distribution. Revoke and assign, revoke and assign

Thank Post
    I'm not even going to comment, I'm sure you all know my opinions so I'm just going to sit back and watch, I shall also proceed to add @seawolf to the discussion. Have fun!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    My argument here is.....managed distribution. Revoke and assign, revoke and assign

This, since the VPP came to the UK and IOS7 turned up it has been easy to get them going, i use configurator to give them a base profile of wifi settings and little else, then enrol them onto meraki system centre and leave them to it, you assign apps via VPP and never touch them again... the users don't need accounts with credit cards to rack up bills...

they can still however install crap using their own accounts as i don't think you can disable app install/removal and still be able to deploy/install via mdm

Thank Post
    We are a non shiny shiny school, long may it last.

20. 4 Thanks to Galway:

Bananas (3rd June 2014), hallb15 (5th June 2014), nephilim (6th June 2014), Oaktech (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes but try conveying that to the thick headed bags of human garbage who pedal this rubbish to schools promising the world then disappearing. Apple's sales team to education needs to be put to death.
    Love it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast