+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Seriously Apple! Enough! in General; Originally Posted by X-13 Except @ abillybob isn't at an American school, so he can't use DEP. I know. Obviously ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Except @abillybob isn't at an American school, so he can't use DEP.
    I know.

Obviously it's something to keep in mind for the future when DEP is available in the UK though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Except it's only for American schools, so a lot of us can't use DEP.

It WAS a pointless video.
    Exactly this. This is why I pointed our they are an American High School, I'm not I'm a British Primary School!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Obviously it's something to keep in mind for the future when DEP is available in the UK though.
    True, but this isn't the future.

You can't claim iPADs are easy to manage thanks to DEP, when you can't USE DEP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Apple's sales team to education needs to be put to death.
    You're not Jeremy Clarkson are you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    You're not Jeremy Clarkson are you?
    I didn't see any alleged racism

So how much time at wwdc was devoted to education ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    I didn't see any alleged racism

So how much time at wwdc was devoted to education ?
    I was referring more to this Jeremy Clarkson: 'execute' public sector workers, says BBC Top Gear host - Telegraph

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    One caveat though - if you are using them on .local domain - all bets are off. Don't do that. Really. If you have a .local domain and aren't willing to change it, best to not even bother with Macs in particular, but Apple gear in general. You are creating a rod for your own back. Use ANYTHING other than a .local domain and it is smooth sailing. Like night and day. I do suspect the common use of "best practice" .local domains are the big cause of a many of the gripes about Apple I hear on here. So, I repeat. If you have a .local domain and won't/can't change it be prepared for pain. Don't blame the Apple gear for that pain though. Apple themselves and any Apple-savvy tech will tell you to never use .local domains.
    If my Unix servers, Linux Servers, and Windows servers can all function perfectly well on a .local domain, why can't an apple server? I am genuinely curious on this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    If my Unix servers, Linux Servers, and Windows servers can all function perfectly well on a .local domain, why can't an apple server? I am genuinely curious on this.
    I thought apple used .local for bonjour stuff which conflicts with.local windows domains etc
    @antonnioRocco can confirm for sure exactly the issue

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Than that is an Apple fault. Best practice has been around since the days of unix/linux servers to use .local for many servers, so they should really have known that before making bonjour use it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 982 Posts
    Than that is an Apple fault. Best practice has been around since the days of unix/linux servers to use .local for many servers, so they should really have known that before making bonjour use it!
    Im guessing but am sure someone else can confirm

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Not me but I am prone to expressing my opinion and view political correctness as a truly bad thing contributing to the decline of western 'civilisation'.
    Agreed, but it is Apple, I'm sure they invented it only ten years after everyone else started using it.

For reference our domain is not .local either, the hardware seems to be fine and the mac mini still runs like a 486. 10.whatever.3 hosed it completely and as its a server I am not keen on rebuilding the whole thing just because Apple finally got around to releasing a hotfix. It is still slow as anything under a different user and my old Pentium M (installed to Windows 7) tablet outperforms it for web browsing.
    @seawolf As to the strong EM field, maybe I do, the macs in the library seem to be alright but this mac mini and these ipads are just junk. Apple is zero help and their devices couldn't provide enough useful feedback to track down anything. Just because it does not generate an error doent mean that its working, just that it is not bothing to tell you anything useful as that might confuse someone somewhere. Also no error means they can just blame everything else with no real proof.

As someone else said, possibly on a different thread, their experience turned to hell when they put ios 7.11 on as it suddenly needed to phone home to apple to connect to wireless, no internet, no wireless. The response from someone to this was that obviously everyone else was doing it wrong and they should just let Apple access whatever it wanted. This non-standard behaviour broke stuff for no good reason and then the blame is shifted to the victims by the bully. A windows machine may try a DNS lookup to see if it can get net but won't disable the connection if it can't.

This is yet more pointless idiocy just to make things harder despite their just works façade. If they could just stop being toolbags for a few seconds each year it would be lovely.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th June 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How can I say this as kindly as possible? Perhaps by saying that zeal without knowledge is not good. .local has never been a good idea for many reasons. I have worked on UNIX networks since before the first web browser existed and I can't remember a single one using .local so I don't know where you got that idea from.

Here's but one article as to why. Just because everybody and their uninformed brother does something doesn't make it a well thought out plan.

Why you shouldn't use .local in your Active Directory domain name.

13. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Agreed, but it is Apple, I'm sure they invented it only ten years after everyone else started using it.
    RFC 3927 is an industry standard contributed to by Sun, Apple, and Microsoft. Have a read.

Zero-configuration networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple is zero help and their devices couldn't provide enough useful feedback to track down anything.
    Microsoft has never been great help in my experience either, but that doesn't stop most people. Macs do provide quite a lot of useful feedback in the log files, but of course you have know what you are looking at (console logs, safari debugging mode, etc). This applies more to Macs than iPads, which are a bit tight lipped about what's going on under the hood as a result of the sand boxing, etc.

You know, I run into issues with Windows servers and clients (and other people's software) on a regular basis, but I don't feel the need to damn Microsoft to oblivion every time something stuffs up (sometimes Windows stuffs up quite majestically). It is quite interesting to watch the meltdowns occurring from the cheese being moved.

15. Thanks to seawolf from:

mac_shinobi (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That article is correct for single named like server.local however some companies and professionals who have been dealing with servers since the early 80s (before I was born) using Unix and DOS did use server.company.local and have done since. I worked in an environment (IBM in London) where a small handful of these legacy servers are running still due to some old legacy system still in place and work seamlessly with other Unix/Linux/Nt based servers.

Hell IBM, Intel and Novell all did manuals (old school ring binders which were as thick as my palm) which said it was best to use the .Local domains. Many have since said if doing single side ones don't use it but if doing more then it's best practice. I may even have one of these manuals at my mums. When I go round on Sunday I'll have a hunt for it.

Thank Post
    I'm starting to get the impression that Synack really really doesn't like iPads

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast