+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Seriously Apple! Enough! in General; Originally Posted by seawolf This example only demonstrates the lack of preparedness and organisation of the teacher and nothing more. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    This example only demonstrates the lack of preparedness and organisation of the teacher and nothing more.

If a teacher came to me just before or during a lesson wanting me to push out a bit of software for ANY device whether it be a PC, Mac, iPad, Android tablet, or anything else I would tell them to go to Plan B - because it wouldn't be happening, not ever. Do it once, even if it is possible, and you've just created a rod for your back. Even if you could, it wouldn't be a good idea because if its a new bit of software you (1) should really be testing it first; and, (2) should be considering the impact on your network of a bunch of devices downloading software all at once.
    I totally agree, but at the end of the day I put curriculum delivery first, it is after all what the school is there for regardless of whose fault it is.

Thank Post
    You should take the leap to Android then. Enjoy the malware...
    I've been using Android from almost the beginning and I've NEVER had any malware. It's the same as computers, if you're stupid and do stupid things you might get burnt.

At least Android users aren't finding themselves locked out of their phones nor encountering imessage hijacking their sms messages if they change phone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sound like you had a dying hard drive. They don't go that slow.
    I do know how to do my job you know. You think I didn't do hardware checks?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I've been using Android from almost the beginning and I've NEVER had any malware. It's the same as computers, if you're stupid and do stupid things you might get burnt.
    So, do you really think the average joe knows what they are doing when it comes to computers? Android has the highest level of malware in the wild by far of all mobile OS. Unless you aren't letting the staff and students download whatever apps they like (filtering them), then it is they not you who are the ones who will do stupid with bells on.

Android still triggers the most mobile malware, says F-Secure - CNET

At least Android users aren't finding themselves locked out of their phones nor encountering imessage hijacking their sms messages if they change phone.
    I didn't realise that people having their iCloud account compromised because they used the same password on every site they visited or had their data stolen from one of the myriad of hacks that have targeted Target, eBay, Yahoo, etc. was indicative of a security issue with iOS? The problem with iMessage also has nothing to do with malware or hacking, but is an iMessage bug.

5. Thanks to seawolf from:

Brimstone (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I do know how to do my job you know. You think I didn't do hardware checks?
    I'm very sure you can do your job. However, I also know the attitude of most Windows admins is to attribute any issue with a piece of Apple hardware or software to "Apple gear just sucks!" rather than doing the same type of troubleshooting they would do on a PC. I know from a significant amount of experience that i7 Mac Minis don't run as slow as you describe unless there is something wrong with them either in a hardware problem, network issue (DNS issues or .local domain), or more rarely a problem with an application or a corrupt account - as it is not normal.

7. Thanks to seawolf from:

Brimstone (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    I totally agree, but at the end of the day I put curriculum delivery first, it is after all what the school is there for regardless of whose fault it is.
    An app on an iPad constitutes curriculum delivery? If schools are there to teach kids how to use a particular piece of software or are dependant on a particular piece of software to teach, then it is a slippery slope we are going down indeed. Perhaps its time to wind back the amount of technology we have going into our schools.

Thank Post
    This is how it is done...

600 x iPad refresh in 2 and half hours (please note the complete lack of IT at all in the roll out to students, albeit work was done beforehand by them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4WqTJzZGh4

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    The Device Enrollment Program is available to qualifying businesses, K–12 public and private schools, 
colleges, and universities in the United States that purchase iPad, iPhone, or Mac directly from Apple.
    https://www.apple.com/iphone/busines...e_EN_Feb14.pdf

Thank Post
    Try https://deploy.apple.com and choose UK , then choose USA.

That video says "the ability to quickly load content and device settings" ;p
    Last edited by caffrey; 6th June 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post

We have Students using them (fully their own and no MDM) with zero issues of Malware so far on any Tablet. I just wish I could say the same for our Netbooks.
    We also have 20 Staff currently using School owned Tablets and come September we will have around 200 Students using Android Tablets.

I have been in contact with other Schools who have some Android devices and they have reported no problems. I would rather though listen to real experiences instead of "Article says so". Actually come to think of it I would rather see it for my self. Our Year 7, 8, 9 and Post16 are allowed to bring in their own devices and the only ones who have had Malware/problems are those who purchased Windows Netbooks. We have had zero iPads or Android Tablets in the door with Malware problems. And no they are not managed.

The real test as mentioned for us is going to be September and in January I will have a report ready on how its gone if its a success or not. That report will be passed on to SLT and like my netbook one free for anyone on here that wants it. Our Tablets will not be managed but is always an option depending the year goes.

edit: for info one of our biggest problems with Windows Netbooks (no management) is Malware problems and no matter what free scanners exist they still get through. We have even resorted to Students using a 2nd account with cut down basic user access to fix the issues but still doesn't stop everything. If some one wants to complain about Malware it should have M$ in the subject.
    Last edited by mthomas08; 6th June 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thank Post
    However, I also know the attitude of most Windows admins is to attribute any issue with a piece of Apple hardware or software to "Apple gear just sucks!" rather than doing the same type of troubleshooting they would do on a PC.
    I too like to tar all Windows admins with the same brush I accuse them of tarring me with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d0pefish View Post
    I too like to tar all Windows admins with the same brush I accuse them of tarring me with.
    Thing is though anyone who criticises Apple is immediately accused of being Pro Windows. Anyone who criticises Windows isn't immediately accused of being Pro Apple. Bit of a difference. Some of the issues people have with Apple has nothing to do with how Apple/Windows talk to each other in fact at times its more on the price of Apple devices.

I my self have spent the last 6-7 months being a Google man, there is also several other posters in this discussion right now in the same boat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post

600 x iPad refresh in 2 and half hours (please note the complete lack of IT at all in the roll out to students, albeit work was done beforehand by them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4WqTJzZGh4
    Pfft you'd need to have a lot of staff dedicated to doing all that and be able to take 2 hours out of their day including the students to do something like this. This proves nothing there's a big difference between that as a very large high school in America and my little primary school in england with one IT tech, me.

I couldn't do anything like this and I'm sure neither could a lot of people on here so your comment is invalid!

I should also mentioned they're using 1:1 deployment with individual AppleID's not a lot of schools can do this either if we could all afford that kind of setup there wouldn't be any issues I don't understand what your comment has to do with anything mentioned in this thread.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    This proves nothing
    @Brimstone's video shows that if you purchase iPads through Apple's Device Enrollment Program it will save you lots of time.

Until now, the best practice for deploying institutionally-owned devices was to put them into supervision mode using Apple Configurator and either deploy apps at the same time or later via Mobile Device Management (MDM). This required an admin to handle each device and physically connect it to a Mac with a USB cable.

The Device Enrolment Program basically takes that best practice but moves it into Apple's device activation servers.

DEP provides four major advantages over cabled deployment:

• A device can be supervised over-the-air
    • Users can be presented with a simplified version of the setup assistant
    • Devices can be automatically enrolled in your institution's MDM
    • MDM enrolment can be locked

Those four improvements go a long way to making a deployment easy and scaleable. You, as an admin, don't have to touch a device at all to roll it out. Just assign them to users, have the users open them up and start configuring them and you'll have supervised devices with MDM enrolment automatically enforced.

After that, you're into essentially the same mode of operation that you'd normally be in with an MDM-based deployment. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 6th June 2014 at 02:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    @Brimstone's video shows that if you purchase iPad's through Apple's Device Enrollment Program it will save you lots of time.
    Except it's only for American schools, so a lot of us can't use DEP.

It WAS a pointless video.
    Last edited by X-13; 6th June 2014 at 02:08 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast