+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Seriously Apple! Enough! in General; Originally Posted by Edu-IT You can add a card and then immediately remove it, so if you can get hold ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    You can add a card and then immediately remove it, so if you can get hold of a prepaid MasterCard or something, then that would work?
    Yes. There are work around but it's the annoyance of the whole process. The fact Apple had the ability to make the whole thing a lot easier but haven't is where I'm finding the frustration comes from. Yes you can add a credit card and remove it but that adds up to be a lot of wasted time if say you have an AppleID for every iPad in MDM when Apple could have just not asked for the credit card in the first place!

Thank Post
    Is the payment method to verify you're in UK/US etc?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    On this point, my experience is that it is normal. I bought an i7 Mac Mini "Server" in 2012 and it absolutely crawled! Not to mention the fact they call it a server...
    Your experience in this case is NOT normal. I have had many OSX Servers over many years with several of them being Mac Minis. They do not crawl.

One caveat though - if you are using them on .local domain - all bets are off. Don't do that. Really. If you have a .local domain and aren't willing to change it, best to not even bother with Macs in particular, but Apple gear in general. You are creating a rod for your own back. Use ANYTHING other than a .local domain and it is smooth sailing. Like night and day. I do suspect the common use of "best practice" .local domains are the big cause of a many of the gripes about Apple I hear on here. So, I repeat. If you have a .local domain and won't/can't change it be prepared for pain. Don't blame the Apple gear for that pain though. Apple themselves and any Apple-savvy tech will tell you to never use .local domains.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Yes. There are work around but it's the annoyance of the whole process. The fact Apple had the ability to make the whole thing a lot easier but haven't is where I'm finding the frustration comes from. Yes you can add a credit card and remove it but that adds up to be a lot of wasted time if say you have an AppleID for every iPad in MDM when Apple could have just not asked for the credit card in the first place!
    Yes, but Microsoft does the same thing.

"In order to register on the Windows Store you need to be 18 years of age or the age of majority in your location and have a Microsoft Account and have a credit card account."

I agree it is stupid and a pain in the rear. However, all of the App stores out there (Apple, Windows, Google) were designed specifically with a consumer focus, not a business or education focus. And that's where it all falls down for us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I have to step in and back this up we have an i7 Mac Mini here with server on it. After around a yeah of use the thing was unusable, no reason for it from what I or the Apple Technician could see even a hardware scan didn't bring up any problems. I took the plunge this year and installed a fresh version of Mavericks onto it and now it works like a charm ultra fast! Don't really know what happened before but then again it wasn't me that put it in in the first place it was another technician, who from my experience wasn't the best at his job.
    Do you, by chance, use a .local domain?
    Last edited by seawolf; 5th June 2014 at 12:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    On the other side, Apple could really help here with better app management - blacklist apps etc. as it goes we can see what apps have been installed but if they haven't been installed by VPP or MDM you can only just stare at it and report it.
    You might want to look at the MobilEther MDM solution by iBoss. With the iBoss MDM/ Web Filter solution, you can remove the default App Store from the iPad replacing it with a filtered version, and also blacklist certain apps so that they either cannot be installed or removing network access until the app is removed (user is informed and is effective no matter what network the user tries to take the iPad onto). MobilEther also provides the capability to tie devices to web filtering that goes wherever the device goes on any network, including 3G/4G.

7. 2 Thanks to seawolf:

Brimstone (5th June 2014), caffrey (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    That looks good, but again relying on third party for something that should be in apples MDM , it's yet another hidden cost on iPad rollout

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Do you, by chance, use a .local domain?
    Nope .internal

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Yes, but Microsoft does the same thing.

"In order to register on the Windows Store you need to be 18 years of age or the age of majority in your location and have a Microsoft Account and have a credit card account."

I agree it is stupid and a pain in the rear. However, all of the App stores out there (Apple, Windows, Google) were designed specifically with a consumer focus, not a business or education focus. And that's where it all falls down for us.
    I never said Microsoft and others don't do this, but at least from what I can see Microsoft are working on a way around this for businesses and education and will be creating work arounds, lets hope they do it a lot better than Apple VPP program.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've rolled out a couple of hundred iPads and while I completely agree that Apple's iPad management options leave something to be desired -- read between the lines -- you can get it to work acceptably with some work.

** Shameless self-promotion **

I've put together a load a articles on how we manage iPads. It covers VPP as well as other aspects of iPad management. A lot of schools have found them useful.

Let me know if it helps you out in any way.

11. 3 Thanks to edublogger:

Brimstone (5th June 2014), DGardiner (5th June 2014), SYNACK (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope, we had a proper domain .schXXX I believe.

It wasn't the serving of accounts that was the slow bit - it was the responsiveness of the actual hardware itself. Copying a file from one disk to the other would give speeds of less than 30Mbps, which is ridiculous. Opening the Server.app was slow for example.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It wasn't the serving of accounts that was the slow bit - it was the responsiveness of the actual hardware itself. Copying a file from one disk to the other would give speeds of less than 30Mbps, which is ridiculous. Opening the Server.app was slow for example.
    Did you consider upgrading the drive(s) yourself? The ones Apple supply are slow.

The first thing I would have done is replace the system drive with an SSD and add an SSHD in the other drive bay.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Did you consider upgrading the drive(s) yourself? The ones Apple supply are slow.

The first thing I would have done is replace the system drive with an SSD and add an SSHD in the other drive bay.
    We had just spent near enough £1k on this little box. We had no intention of spending more on it, as it was only supporting 20 iMacs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edublogger View Post
    We've rolled out a couple of hundred iPads and while I completely agree that Apple's iPad management options leave something to be desired -- read between the lines -- you can get it to work acceptably with some work.

** Shameless self-promotion **

I've put together a load a articles on how we manage iPads. It covers VPP as well as other aspects of iPad management. A lot of schools have found them useful.

Let me know if it helps you out in any way.
    The guides look good I'm sure someone will find them very useful thank you for posting. Our iPads work very well here anyway it's just the whole process is a bit of a faff and could be made a lot easier. That my problem with it all anyway!

Thank Post
    Just about to embark on the "shiny shiny" Ipad journey . I've some arriving later today to give to teachers to take home and use with a view in September to deploying a further 50 across school. We are looking at 1-1 throughout school next summer but i guess alot will depend on how things go before then. We have Lightspeed filtering which looked very good at a conference i attended but since BT Lancs CC got their hands on it they seem to have broken the flexibility but early days yet .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

^^Agreed on the above - our little Mac Mini server is fairly old now (2010) and it can crawl a bit with the 5400RPM drives. Tempted to whack a pair of SSDs in there now that no files are kept on it, along with more RAM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast