+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Seriously Apple! Enough! in General; branches the Android OS into an enterprise specific configuration with device management software. There is certainly the market for it. ...

Thank Post
    branches the Android OS into an enterprise specific configuration with device management software. There is certainly the market for it.
    LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

Seriously amazing at managing android devices. You can change entire desktop with folders and apps from SEN to KS1 in seconds from either the management software or the pupils can do it themselves by scanning a bar code. Lovely bit of software.

2. 2 Thanks to edutech4schools:

nephilim (6th June 2014), X-13 (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes but try conveying that to the thick headed bags of human garbage who pedal this rubbish to schools promising the world then disappearing. Apple's sales team to education needs to be put to death.
    What method?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I'm certain it won't be long before some enterprising Linux/Android groupie branches the Android OS into an enterprise specific configuration with device management software. There is certainly the market for it.
    The next major version of Android will have more features designed for enterprises. There should be more details at Google I/O later this month.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03...rity-features/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post

Seriously amazing at managing android devices. You can change entire desktop with folders and apps from SEN to KS1 in seconds from either the management software or the pupils can do it themselves by scanning a bar code. Lovely bit of software.
    +1 this.

I don't even set them up any more.

I made a couple of sets of the QR codes [Proxy one caused problems... "proxy" is blocked by our proxy] and now our teaching staff can set up new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    we believe this website make up a small number of the technicians in the UK. Majority of the schools do well with Apple devices and the iPad is a brilliant educational tool, this represents a small minority of people that are having issues.
    Urgh... I hate that logic.

[anecdote]I've had a problem with a couple of computers in our office, figured out it was the VGA connection [different cable, different monitor... same problem] so I swapped them to DVI. Problem solved.

Phoned the company we got them from and gave them a heads-up. Told them the issue and the workaround. And [iirc] I was the only one having this issue.

I was thanked for it.[/anecdote]
    Last edited by X-13; 4th June 2014 at 10:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    So my CV has M$, Apple, Android and Google Chrome experience
    I assume your Apple experience includes iO$ and O$ X?

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

SYNACK (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    This has been a really interesting read. From a supplier's angle, the message we're getting from our schools is still predominantly "We want iPads!" though Android and Windows tablet requests are becoming more frequent.

Is this continued Apple push coming from above, then? From head teachers etc. being talked into thinking that iPads specifically are the way forward?
    This ^. From what I've seen there are alot of advisers, suppliers, evangelists going to the head teacher confrences and peddling this stuff - usually throwing in the same handful of places as examples. Very little seems to come through to/from people who will actually be setting up, supporting and (generally) know about this stuff. My personal experience from talking to other Network managers is that Ipads are at best a small addition to the school IT, not a replacement of which seems to be is being pushed for by these people. We have nearly 100 ipads here and from sitting in on various lessons - they are mainly internet browsers.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 4th June 2014 at 10:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevecee View Post
    I would have to stand up and say that We don't seem to have those problems here. We have approx. 140 iPads and have just rolled out 65 to staff so that they can prepare for our 1-1 deployment next Easter.

We sen them all home with the staff to create their own Apple ID, having prepared it in Configurator to enrol with Meraki and a crib sheet of very step by step instructions on how to set up their school email (exchange) and link their apple ID to the schools fro app deployment. They set up their iCloud account first as that way they are not asked for their credit card details, then when they go into the app store they can click "none" when they are asked for them.

I'm not saying that there were no prblems and teething issues but they were mainly user related and easily fixed. I cant say I even looked at profile manager as an option but meraki is free and had the adaptability that I was looking for.

Steve
    We have no option for none in the app store and do not have a credit card leaving us stuck in a loop. The free app trick seems hit and miss. We also had the proxy problem of you cannot add/change the proxy settings until the iPad has been activated but you need those proxy settings to activate the Ipad.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 4th June 2014 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    The head attended some head teachers conference and there was some speaker advocating the use of iPads in schools, this is where ours started out..

Problem with iPads etc. is that I feel blind to as what's going on - there's no tools to ensure safeguarding. I've spent time blocking ports and stuff trying to get a solution to stop certain traffic and I've no idea if its effective or not, the only time I know something is happening is when a teacher says something to me. This is aggravated with BYOD.

We didn't go android as this is what the head wanted - but now she's asking if we can have androids too...

Thank Post
    Is this continued Apple push coming from above, then? From head teachers etc. being talked into thinking that iPads specifically are the way forward?
    I will normally get asked to purchase some more ipads by the head or business manager but I then remind them we use Android, unless they want me to start installing ipads, at which point they reply 'thats what I mean, that tablet thing we like, we need more'. A lot of staff call anything tablet sized an ipad which does cause confusion.

Our LA got all the schools together as they had a head teacher that had moved his school over 100% to 1-2-1 ipads and he stood in this massive hall and said how wonderful the ipads had been and they had removed all laptops etc from the school. The head did not answer technical questions as he was not involved in the setup and not very technical. I was really enthused by his speech and contacted the schools Network Manager directly to see if I could visit the school and was shocked to find out they had not actually migrated to ipads but had tested then with a class. So you have the LA pushing ipads on all the schools based on a project that was still being tested. This was over a year ago and I know of a number of schools that purchased ipads directly of the back of that speech.
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 4th June 2014 at 10:27 AM.

Thank Post
    I will normally get asked to purchase some more ipads by the head or business manager but I then remind them we use Android, unless they want me to start installing ipads, at which point they reply 'thats what I mean, that tablet thing we like, we need more'. A lot of staff call anything tablet sized an ipad which does cause confusion.

Our LA got all the schools together as they had a head teacher that had moved his school over 100% to 1-2-1 ipads and he stood in this massive hall and said how wonderful the ipads had been and they had removed all laptops etc from the school. The head did not answer technical questions as he was not involved in the setup and not very technical. I was really enthused by his speech and contacted the schools Network Manager directly to see if I could visit the school and was shocked to find out they had not actually migrated to ipads but had tested then with a class. So you have the LA pushing ipads on all the schools based on a project that was still being tested. This was over a year ago and I know of a number of schools that purchased ipads directly of the back of that speech.
    Our LA discourage the use of anything Apple and rightly so. They have to many problems with these devices and it takes up over 70% of their workload trying to get them working for school with regarding proxy issues. It seems we never asked advice from county but instead took the plunge and went all in for Apple kit, problem being it's now me paying the price.

I have also heard that Telford & Wrekin's council (near us) discourages the use of Apple devices, in fact one of the guys at our Apple support told me he had a meeting with the head of ICT in the council who started the meeting by saying "I just would like to say I don't like Apple devices and won't be encouraging them in our schools now please continue"

Thank Post

Although as another poster has pointed out, possibly not currently suited to a KS3+ environment. I'm thinking of an 'Android Enterprise' edition with all your favourite features supported - filtering of SSH, proxy support, apps referencing global proxy settings etc. Remote management is only half the battle, the other half is getting applications written to support things like sending requests without the 100-continue header and referencing global proxy settings rather than attempting direct connections.Dedicated enterprise apps stores containing Education-friendly applications that don't keep asking for money for every little feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jiminy View Post
    What method?
    Old fashioned stoning-by-idevice?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The next major version of Android will have more features designed for enterprises. There should be more details at Google I/O later this month.

Rumor: Android's L Release To Make Corporate Adoption Push With Partial Wipe Capability, Other Security Features
    Sounds promising although the partial wipe and remote control of an Android device already exists where the organisation is using Google apps and Google mail - part of the reason I won't put work related content on my personal phone - group policy and remote management tools have to be installed on my phone allowing my network admins the rights to access and wipe my phone so it will be interesting to see if these features are dependant on the organisation using Google apps.

Thank Post
    I have recently seen a massive drop in this old effect, people are starting to notice Tablets more. This is through a lot of things though like Tesco getting involved and now many other companies. Just had the business manager start talking to me about what Argos are offering and I noticed that even Novatech offer their own brand. When I met Parents on our open evening many of them seemed to know what Tablets are. I will say this for Apple they started something simple and easy to use and other companies simply offered better costs. With more and more stores offering Tablets and even their own brands the Tablet world is no longer iPad.

Been using a Google Nexus with a Bluetooth keyboard and it cost a lot less than an iPad but I use it for the exact same thing minus iTunes sync with my iPhone. That is on my laptop which I use for big documentation because the Google Apps is still nothing compared to M$ Office. So after all this technology I still use my PC for the occasional game, laptop for Office/Work/syncing to my iPhone and Google Nexus for skiing on the internet/Apps basic docs.
    Last edited by mthomas08; 4th June 2014 at 12:02 PM.

Thank Post
    It's not the tablet that should be the focus but how to "mobilise" your services and look at securing/. Monitoring services and not devices - in my opinion, so eventually the end goal for me is the device doesn't matter.

Personally I find iPads work rather well with my mainly ms services especially now we get ms office 365 free for kids, I don't thank apple for much of that - I think ms have/are doing a good job of providing apps / services that are a good experience on iPad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    We have no option for none in the app store and do not have a credit card leaving us stuck in a loop. The free app trick seems hit and miss. We also had the proxy problem of you cannot add/change the proxy settings until the iPad has been activated but you need those proxy settings to activate the Ipad.
    if you set up your apple Id by enrolling in iCloud first it doesn't ask for credit card, then if you move across to the app store you get the "none option" (both on iPad)

You can install the proxy settings via configurator and it should work!

HTH

Steve

17. Thanks to Stevecee from:

Bompalompalomp (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    You can add a card and then immediately remove it, so if you can get hold of a prepaid MasterCard or something, then that would work?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast