+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Seriously Apple! Enough! in General; Originally Posted by nephilim That article is correct for single named like server.local however some companies and professionals who have ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    That article is correct for single named like server.local however some companies and professionals who have been dealing with servers since the early 80s (before I was born) using Unix and DOS did use server.company.local and have done since. I worked in an environment (IBM in London) where a small handful of these legacy servers are running still due to some old legacy system still in place and work seamlessly with other Unix/Linux/Nt based servers.

Hell IBM, Intel and Novell all did manuals (old school ring binders which were as thick as my palm) which said it was best to use the .Local domains. Many have since said if doing single side ones don't use it but if doing more then it's best practice. I may even have one of these manuals at my mums. When I go round on Sunday I'll have a hunt for it.
    Really? You're going to continue to believe its a good idea, and that using something like my.company.local makes a difference from company.local? If you want to use local.company.com that will work just fine, but even MS cautions strongly against domains ending in .local

Selecting the Forest Root Domain

But, go ahead and do what you want. Good luck finding the 30 year old official doco from IBM, etc. that recommends this practice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    RFC 3927 is an industry standard contributed to by Sun, Apple, and Microsoft. Have a read.

Zero-configuration networking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That I had actually come across before but the point is rather that Apple is the only lot that is truly stuffed up by it, the others manage fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Microsoft has never been great help in my experience either, but that doesn't stop most people. Macs do provide quite a lot of useful feedback in the log files, but of course you have know what you are looking at (console logs, safari debugging mode, etc). This applies more to Macs than iPads, which are a bit tight lipped about what's going on under the hood as a result of the sand boxing, etc.

You know, I run into issues with Windows servers and clients (and other people's software) on a regular basis, but I don't feel the need to damn Microsoft to oblivion every time something stuffs up (sometimes Windows stuffs up quite majestically). It is quite interesting to watch the meltdowns occurring from the cheese being moved.
    Windows had the event log, a nice organized place to keep information as opposed to the throw it anywhere mentality of the Linux/BSD/Unix/whatever base of OSX. It is just cleaner and more civilized.

As to Windows melting down I have simply never come across meltdowns that opaque on a PC, something somewhere will generally tell you what's up and a single main line update is seriously unlikely to hose the whole system. Additionally if you look it up online there are hundreds of places you can usually find the answer, with a Mac you might find some outdated documentation on Apples site and possibly some yet to be redacted solution in their forums as they wipe most of the solutions that make them look bad. With a Mac you are fighting on two fronts, against the fault and Apple who want to cover up all mentions of any faults ever on their platform. You can always ring their ever polite but mostly pointless helpdesk for some platitudes to tide you over till you buy a new 'working' mac or give up, wipe the lot, reinstall and hope the same thing does not happen another month down the line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    I'm starting to get the impression that Synack really really doesn't like iPads
    Good, I was thinking I may not have been putting my point across strongly enough

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oops, it appears I have made a mess again, count this as me signing out of the debate, my views have not changed and I think needed to be expressed publicly to Apple but it may have gone a bit off track along the way into an Apple vs the world debate. Hopefully this thread will die down a little without me blowing on the fire. I really should know better. My bad.

Thank Post
    Just needs one image

Seriously Apple! Enough!-45669291.jpg

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Than that is an Apple fault. Best practice has been around since the days of unix/linux servers to use .local for many servers, so they should really have known that before making bonjour use it!
    It was only best practice for private servers that do not need to resolve to DNS and at best was used before the internet arrived, now here are plenty of other technologies not just Apple that will conflict with servers using a .local domain. There are many Linux distros that also include Bonjour

Thank Post
    I'm disappointed with how this thread is turning as well, I'd much rather be helping, I'm out

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Windows had the event log, a nice organized place to keep information as opposed to the throw it anywhere mentality of the Linux/BSD/Unix/whatever base of OSX. It is just cleaner and more civilized.
    I'm not Apple fan, but the logging in Posix based systems is far superior to Windows. The rule is everything goes in /var/log. Simple. The logs are text files, and when rotated are gzipped text files. Meaning you can have a super simple long term logging system with pretty much zero effort. Windows can't do that with event viewer. On top of that, you can specify a remote "syslog" server with *nix systems and centralise the whole lot easily. Windows certainly can't do that either. So, on the logging front, Mac OS and other *nix systems win hands down.

As to Windows melting down I have simply never come across meltdowns that opaque on a PC, something somewhere will generally tell you what's up and a single main line update is seriously unlikely to hose the whole system. Additionally if you look it up online there are hundreds of places you can usually find the answer, with a Mac you might find some outdated documentation on Apples site and possibly some yet to be redacted solution in their forums as they wipe most of the solutions that make them look bad. With a Mac you are fighting on two fronts, against the fault and Apple who want to cover up all mentions of any faults ever on their platform. You can always ring their ever polite but mostly pointless helpdesk for some platitudes to tide you over till you buy a new 'working' mac or give up, wipe the lot, reinstall and hope the same thing does not happen another month down the line.
    I've experience this sort of support call with Apple. I had an iMac of my own at one point and the magic mouse at the time was a massively flawed design (the scroll ball got gunked up super quick and stopped working with no real way to clean it). It was within its initial warranty but the call to their support line demanded that I had AppleCare or hand them credit card details before they'd do anything. It took an hour of arguing and an eventual threat of my taking them to court for them to deal with it like they were legally required to do so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    On top of that, you can specify a remote "syslog" server with *nix systems and centralise the whole lot easily. Windows certainly can't do that either.
    Windows has event forwarding? Does that not count?

Thank Post
    We are a 1:1 'scale' deployment of iPads. I agree with various comments that have been made here.

We find it easy to manage the devices using our MDM, we like pushing apps out to pupils and staff, but giving them the ability and freedom to install other things too. BUT, I have found the following niggles with the whole process:
    * useful features are released in US first before UK and often take time to get here, VPP took a while to get here, initially we had to send codes out, at least we can now use VPP and MDM to push them
    * Over the Air supervision and Apple ID for students programs are only available in US at present, they need to come to UK.
    * The fact that initially VPP only allowed bulk gifting of apps, and we bought a couple of apps for all 200 staff and 1050 pupils and now they have the licensed variety that you can recall and redistribute.
    * When you say to the MDM provider that you would like 'this' feature or 'that' feature their response is usually that 'Apple dont allow that' or 'it is coming in the next release'
    * we had to write a guide to explain how to create an apple ID that does not use a credit or debit card from the start, to avoid adding and removing one.
    * the fact that with MDMs and tracking location of iPads appears to only with with cellular iPads and not with WiFi only ones.
    and
    * the numerous issues we now get when an iPad is locked to an Apple ID, great security but a pain to remove if you have a damaged device or one handed back when a pupil leaves.

Don't get me wrong, they are great and get used in many ways but there are niggles on the way!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts

Thank Post
    Sorry all, was there a solution to the debit card required for new accounts issue? Currently banging my head on a wall for not making note of it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Sorry all, was there a solution to the debit card required for new accounts issue? Currently banging my head on a wall for not making note of it!
    Making a new account in a non-signed in iTunes to 'purchase' a free app apparently does it although I have never managed it, the other way that showed up after I gave up on apple stuff was signing into iCloud first then itunes and getting a free app. Only half an hour per each one of the aIDs. I'll be quiet now before I reignite the thread with my limitless dislike of Apple everything.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th June 2014 at 02:41 PM.

14. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

CHR1S (11th June 2014), edutech4schools (11th June 2014)

Thank Post
    FFS... got my techie on it now, Apple have not thought this through at all!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    FFS... got my techie on it now, Apple have not thought this through at all!
    To be fair, neither did M$ when Schools were introducing the first lot of IT Systems. Nor does Google with their current products.

Maybe in a few years time from all the screaming and shouting they too will improve like M$ had to. The amount of flame wars accusing M$ of being very poorly built for Schools used to be endless. Now those flames are shifting against Apple/Android.

I remember when people used to go mad at the cost of volume licenses and having to spend a lot of money just to keep their systems updated with the latest OS. Now its spend a bit less to always have access to the latest (sometimes more too) software.
    They also got their act together in building an OS which didn't require buying a new PC.. (ahh... vista...such a .. OS..)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast