+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Interview Dilemma. Please help in General; I dont know what to do with this job interview -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HI folks Hope someone can help me with a ...
    Thank Post

Interview Dilemma. Please help

I dont know what to do with this job interview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI folks

Hope someone can help me with a big dilema I have

I currently work as an IT administrator in a school, the school is about 20 miles away, and a few months ago I saw the perfect job advertised in the local paper at a University which is in my town. It was better pay and better prospects so I appled for it.

A month passed and I didnt hear anything, so thought I probably didnt get the job, but only this week i got a letter to say I have been chosen to participate in the selection process.

SO great I got an interview, but I have some concerns:

I am really happy with my current job, love working there and if it paid better i wouldnt go but this new job fits the job perfectly. I am worried if i didnt get selected the school will probably think that I am looking to move away from my current role which I am not and it might hamper my chances in the future to progress if i stayed.

I have put the principal down as a reference but have not told him that I have done this.

Do you think i should tell the school about the interview and if so is it in my best interests to tell them where it is?

I am bit concerned because the principal does have contacts and I am worried he might damage my chances for this new role because he will be so desperate to keep me. He considers me to be a good worker and role model.

Basically what I am asking is should i keep my cards close to my chest or be truthfull about this. As i work in a school I cant take the interview day off as holiday because in our school we not allowed to take time off during term time. I could say I have an docs appointment but then if I got found out it wouldnt be very professional and lying certainlly wouldnt go well and its not in my character to do this.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Thank Post

Re: Interview Dilemma. Please help

I am really happy with my current job, love working there and if it paid better i wouldnt go but this new job fits the job perfectly. I am worried if i didnt get selected the school will probably think that I am looking to move away from my current role which I am not and it might hamper my chances in the future to progress if i stayed.
    I’m in the same situation as you. I like the job I’m doing, the head trusts me with certain decisions, but another job has been advertised which I’m in the process of applying for. Unlike you it takes me about 10 minutes to get to work at the moment but if I got the job I’m now applying for, that would rise to 30 minutes. This new post matches my current ambitions, and with the overhanging spectre of BSF at my school has come at the right time. Like you, there’s no guarantee that I’ll get it though.

I have put the principal down as a reference but have not told him that I have done this.
    This is a bad move. He won’t appreciate a request for a reference unexpectantly landing on his desk first thing after the Christmas break. Tell him as soon as you can what you’re doing, and explain why. People, especially teachers, are constantly moving jobs for a variety of reasons.

I could say I have an docs appointment but then if I got found out it wouldnt be very professional and lying certainlly wouldnt go well and its not in my character to do this.
    I think you’ve answered your own question there. Put yourself in the head’s position. How would you feel? You can legitimately take time off for interviews.

Thank Post

I agree with the previous comment that you should definately tell your principle about the move. If he finds out you pulled a sickey to go to the interview he would not only be entitled to give you a discipliery for misconduct but would also be able to give these details in your reference.

Besides if you are appreciated by your principle they may be willing to negotiate a pay increase to get you to stay.

Thank Post

I echo the above. Honesty is the best policy. Just go and see him/her and explain why the job appeals. Most folks I have worked for have understood the need for career development/progression - that's certainly the attitude I adopt when my staff come to me saying they are going for a job.

The other thing to remember is that education is a small world so if you lied etc it could easily come back to bite you later on!

Good luck with the job.

kerrymoralee9280

I can see what your saying about the head maybe trying to trip you up and use his contacts... But when you look at it. What is he going to gain from doing that? Fine, so you don't get the job. Now your still at his school, but something has changed. You've lost the trust you had in him and now you are completely unhappy.

So you're gonna look for a job somewhere else, and not use him as a reference. Either way he's going to lose you, so he's got nothing to gain.

Stick with policy, then at least if you don't get it everything was done right, and everybody is still happy.

All the best for the interview by the way.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

By law the school has to give you leave to attend interviews.

Thank Post

Schools actively encourage professional development and career progressionan of the Teachers. They all subscribe to the TES which is basically a job paper for teachers. It should be no different for associate staff.

Thank Post

As the other guys have said, you need to tell your principal. The way you should approach it though is by starting out with how much you like working at the school.

My heads will appreciate that you must follow job opportunities offering higher wages and better prospects and they understand that they can only offer you so much. In some cases they may even be willing to offer to match the wage to prevent you going for interview (happened 3 times to me in my last job!).

You sound sincere in your remarks about the school and I'm sure that you can communicate that to your principal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think that like everyone else has said, You should just go and tell your principal be honest with him.. If you dnt tell him and he find out he might catch you for lieing and least if you tell him you can atleast you have been honest and personally i would of though he would of respected you been honest with him.

I saw the Advertisment your on about.. well at least i think i did at the university. it sounded a very good job, Pay was very nice and there seemed better prospects.

I am sure your principal with be fine with you asling as your honest with him, i wouldn't of thought he would try and make it so you didn't get your next job. everyone has to move on life he should know that

If you do go to the interview Good Luck!

Regards

James

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ranj
    I dont know what to do with this job interview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI folks

Hope someone can help me with a big dilema I have

I currently work as an IT administrator in a school, the school is about 20 miles away, and a few months ago I saw the perfect job advertised in the local paper at a University which is in my town. It was better pay and better prospects so I appled for it.

A month passed and I didnt hear anything, so thought I probably didnt get the job, but only this week i got a letter to say I have been chosen to participate in the selection process.

SO great I got an interview, but I have some concerns:

Do you think i should tell the school about the interview and if so is it in my best interests to tell them where it is?

I am bit concerned because the principal does have contacts and I am worried he might damage my chances for this new role because he will be so desperate to keep me. He considers me to be a good worker and role model.

Basically what I am asking is should i keep my cards close to my chest or be truthfull about this. As i work in a school I cant take the interview day off as holiday because in our school we not allowed to take time off during term time. I could say I have an docs appointment but then if I got found out it wouldnt be very professional and lying certainlly wouldnt go well and its not in my character to do this.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    If, as you say, the schoolhead is the type of person who could conceivably sabotage you're chances with this uni through his 'contacts' then he isn't the type of line manager you should be working for.

I highly doubt he'd do that though, even if he was pi55ed after getting an unexpected request for a reference from your would-be employers, he couldn't possibly wreck you're chances by for example giving a poor reference. But as he is you're boss don't be too clandestine and do try and keep him sweet.

You don't have to tell you're employer about the selection process not at this stage anywho, and you don't have to get his permission to list him as a reference, most application forms will have a checkbox where you expressly state they must get you're approval before requesting references. That would be the last possible moment at which you'd have to inform you're current employer.

Having said all that you should be honest with him, and being honest could work in you're favour becuase it will force both of you to confront the issue of you're travelling time and salary...I'm guessing ranj you live down Walsall, wolverhamton way - as those and coventry uni are the main uni jst outside brum. I think Coventry is more than 20 miles from birmingham....but none of those three are terrible commutes, I'm sure with a pay increase and flexible starting times he could convince you to stay on. But he won't offer any of that if you don't tell him why you're looking at other jobs.

Thank Post

I really appreciate the comments made on here by everyone.

I did go and see the head today and told him and initially he was shocked (he even had to sit down) and was confused as to why I was looking for other work, but I explained it to him and he seemed to understand.

He said he would give me a glowing reference and was disappointed but he said to me go for it and he hopes I dont get the job!

He did mention that they may be scope for a pay increase, so I am happy with the verdict.

So based on experience, I think it is best to be honest and I think it normally works out well.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

Thank Post
    i didnt get the job in the end, boy was the interview hard. they were asking me advanced questions about routing protocols and advanced networking. Some questions I had some experiences with but was way over my head. probably good idea i didnt get job.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread