+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What Do I need to get into school ICT... in General; I'm rather curious about getting a job in ICT ...I just wanted to know what kind of things I'd need ...

Thank Post

What Do I need to get into school ICT...

I'm rather curious about getting a job in ICT...I just wanted to know what kind of things I'd need to learn to get a decent job in a school/office.
    Would I need to go to Uni.?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What Do I need to get into school ICT...

No, you don't need to go to uni. Yet.
    You are however stuck between a rock and a hard place. To get a job in IT (there are many, many areas y'know) a good way to start would be to get some professional qualifications behind you, or have at least 2-3 years experience in the field you wish to be employed in.
    How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Thank Post

I'd like to do more pratical things with computers, but being more of an allrounder interests me a lot more.

Thank Post

This is a topic I am also interested in. I am 20 and now working in a school as an IT Techinicain but now not sure what I will do to progress in the future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@ ChrisMcf - In the near future you could look into doing the COMP TIA A+ through your local College (Free Course as far as i am aware) that deals with Practical IT Support which is what your after then you have the chance of doing other courses such as MCSA and CompTIA N+.. which is what i have done and are very usuful courses.

@gh256 - you have a head start really as you are already in a job so its not like you are looking for Quals to start your career in IT off.. but again i would advise you do the CompTIA A+ and then maybe the CompTIA N+ and MCSA or MCSE

Any please feels what i have said would not be a good thing to do feel free to correct me :P

Regards

James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries

I left high school and got a job in ICT a few months after, now i will working towards some qualifications soon.

Z

Thank Post

At the age of 15, I would recommend going to uni definitely. It's becomming difficult to get IT jobs at the lower end of the scale for un-qualfied and un-experience people due to an increasingly large amount of graduates rolling out of uni with ICT related qualifications.

Generally speaking a candidate with a degree is always going to be preferable over a candidate without, so with no experience, and no degree you'll find it hard to get even the most basic job. Obviously you can't really get experience without a job, and it'll be more difficult to get a job without experience or a degree so get a degree if you have the opportunity.

I didn't goto uni, and I've always regretted it ever since. I was lucky that a school gave me a chance and I proved myself, but that sort of break is becoming much harder to get these days.

at 20 with maybe a couple of years experience, I'd possibly still consider a degree, but more likely some sort of qualification like an MCP to help you, and obviously gaining as much practical and versatile experience as possible.

That's my opinion anyway.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you can do voluntary work in the ICT sector like i did that will be beneficial.

Z

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMcf
    I'd like to do more pratical things with computers, but being more of an allrounder interests me a lot more.
    oops, 15 eh ? you better hope Witch isn't reading this thread

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    If you can do voluntary work in the ICT sector like i did that will be beneficial.

Z
    i have to admit i agree with that... at the moment thats all i am doing doing voluntary work for community Centres, Orginisations, I also help a senior school (technology college) in the holidays. would recommend doing that plus it will give you an insight to a working enviroment etc

regards

James

Thank Post

Is there any sort of age limit for volunteering? Might do it in the Summer...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    At the age of 15, I would recommend going to uni definitely. It's becomming difficult to get IT jobs at the lower end of the scale for un-qualfied and un-experience people due to an increasingly large amount of graduates rolling out of uni with ICT related qualifications.

Generally speaking a candidate with a degree is always going to be preferable over a candidate without, so with no experience, and no degree you'll find it hard to get even the most basic job. Obviously you can't really get experience without a job, and it'll be more difficult to get a job without experience or a degree so get a degree if you have the opportunity.

I didn't goto uni, and I've always regretted it ever since. I was lucky that a school gave me a chance and I proved myself, but that sort of break is becoming much harder to get these days.

at 20 with maybe a couple of years experience, I'd possibly still consider a degree, but more likely some sort of qualification like an MCP to help you, and obviously gaining as much practical and versatile experience as possible.

That's my opinion anyway.

Mike.
    i agree 100% and utterly endorse everything you've said, and you hit the nail on the head when you say that getting a lucky break is so hard as a school or college leaver. A degree gives you so many more options. You still need a little bit of good fortune, but you have much better prospects as a graduate.

And there are now a raft of courses available that incorporate real world practical elements, and links with the big IT companies...joedetic's BEng
    at stafford is a prime example with it's Cisco academy elements. Or the degree courses that offer the possible of entry onto the superb HP and IBM academy programs.

My personal opinion is, although this is an education professionals website,
    if you're 15 or 16 and looking to get into IT the school environment is not what people should be aspiring to, there is a going to be a huge skills shortage in certain areas of IT in industry and the public sector, and they'll be no shortage of opportunities for talented graduates with some practical experience, what a waste if you're doing the thankless task of being a school tech five or six years from now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMcf
    Is there any sort of age limit for volunteering? Might do it in the Summer...
    No you should be ok

Z

Thank Post

Registered Clinically Insane would be a definate advantage, plus a penchant for handling children (the ones who teach the classes not the ones who sit in them!)

Seriously any experience you can gain be it volountary or oaid, plus a shed load of qualifications. coming from the corporate would i wouldn't even look at CV's unles they had a host of the necessary exams (simply as there are so many people applying for jobs in IT) but more importantly experience. if you have experience that counts for a lot more in my book.

stu
    Thank Post

I'm 19 I just started an apprenticeship after 2 years of college and don't think you should feel uni is the only way forward if you contact all the schools in your area and talk to the colleges you will deffo find some doors opening for you and if your willing to work cheep and still work hard you'll soon find people willing to train you

Be prepaired to get a part time job to make some pocket money on the side, the exspiriance you gain is well worth it tho

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast