+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, What's your favorite font at work and at home? in General; Roboto in work for all display, websites, posters as its clean and fresh Arial or Segoe UI Light for home...
    Thank Post
    Roboto in work for all display, websites, posters as its clean and fresh

Arial or Segoe UI Light for home

Thank Post
    For anything that goes on the internet Raleway or Lato

At home I don't write anything other than emails and thats just in the default Gmail font.

Thank Post
    I refuse to use Comic Sans at work, nobody seems to have noticed yet. I usually use Calibri or Arial depending on how it looks for the document.

Courier New for personal writing work, looks best (for me) on a script and using sans serif fonts is a nightmare for that.

Thank Post
    Came here expecting comments on comic sans - wasn't disappointed but saddened.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra427col View Post
    Came here expecting comments on comic sans - wasn't disappointed but saddened.
    I don't think there is anything particularly bad bing said about Comic Sans. It has its place... and that is usually in primary schools as the letter shape is easy for little ones to recognise. With so many using IT from a very young age, I wonder if that is changing?

Thank Post
    What's your favorite font at work and at home?-h6c0a6ec8.jpeg

Just something to make you giggle, Calibri isn't that bad, Times New Roman on the other hand

7. Thanks to BKGarry from:

Garacesh (2nd June 2014)

Thank Post
    Was going to say the first rule of graphic design is:

NO comic sans

But the cartoon is way better!!

(btw - understand about the 'a' in CS but it should be used in moderation -not for everything)

Thank Post
    This may be a bit controversial, but I love Comic Sans, and use it in all my emails...

I stick with the defaults usually in Word & Excel, then it varies in more graphical stuff... but would hate to lose Comic Sans :-p

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Weirdly I was having an issue with an application that shall remain nameless and it kept crashing on load so I did some searching and found some forum posts and people were saying that the application (for whatever reason) tapped into the fonts folder when loading the graphics engine and all these fancy pants funny fonts caused the 3D render to crash thus crashing the application. So I nuked my fonts folder and restored only the 'original' ones and lo the application loaded in first time. Quite why this particular application was rendering fonts from the fonts file when it doesn't even HAVE font choices is a mystery to me but hey. Ironically though the sister application loaded fine and it was far more complex with more graphical interface sorcery. Who knows.
    A bloated system font folder is a sure fire way to slooooooow your PC down tons. I've been doing graphic design for years and have used thousands of fonts for many many different jobs. Back in the bad old days I used to suffer from huge system lag because I installed every font I needed and just left them there. It's much better to install additional fonts temporarily whilst you do some work then bung it back in a storage folder when not being used. As a general rule of thumb, the upper limit on files in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder should be no more than 400 (I currently have 315 in mine). Be careful not to delete any of the default system/application fonts though, as your software may start displaying some thoroughly messed up content, or not working at all.

I now use font management software (http://www.fontexplorerx.com/) which allows me to preview and temporarily install fonts as and when I need them (I have over 20,000 saved in other folders!). I would recommend this kind of software for anyone who needs to use lots of different fonts. Not free, but worth it IMO.

Back to favourite fonts. I've had many faves over the years, but I'll stick to what I use at the moment. I like the way that standard sans serifs have headed toward a more humanist design recently, with the default font in Windows 7 now being Microsoft's Segoe UI. On the VeryPC website we use Google's Open Sans for body text which is very similar in design to Segoe to give our visitors a nice familiar typeface so they feel at home when browsing. We tend to use the 'light' versions of these to keep the content nice and bright and airy - modern high res diplays and anti-aliasing in browsers handle light fonts much better these days. Our website heading font is Adelle (light weight again), which has very similar curves to Open Sans but is a gentle slab serif, so they complement each other nicely (similarities, but distinctly different - a good rule to follow when pairing fonts). My current favourite font to use has to be League Gothic - not suitable for body text but a lovely clean condensed geometric face which is great for headline attention grabbing without being garish - we use it in our promotional artwork currently (kerned down to bring the letters closer for a more dramatic effect). League Gothic is free to download, as are all of the fonts on the League of Moveable Type website - some really great examples of lovely typography on there, I recommend a visit.

Name:  fonts-2014.png
Views: 52
Size:  38.4 KB

Al

11. Thanks to VeryPC from:

kearton (2nd June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12